A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ouch my bum! - What do you all sit on to sew?  (Read 2425 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KeenBean
SappyMooseTree

Oh mah glob

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 22, 2012 10:28:38 PM »

So it dawned on me the other day when stretching my back from a particularly long bout of sewing that my rear and back are always KILLING ME when I sew. I have a cheap wooden chair from ikea which is alright, Ive tried pillows on it, or I will pull up a table and sit on the edge of the bed. Probably really bad. I realized I actually sew as little as possible just because I am so uncomfortable at my sewing table.

So, the question is - What do you sit on to sew? I am willing to upgrade to a magical chair that will make my back and bum happy but Id like opinions :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mandy
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012 07:30:43 AM »

In my own sewing experience, the actual stitching is only 10% of "sewing." I spend a LOT of time standing at my ironing board or on my knees in the middle of the floor. I spend very little time in my pink plastic molded chair. If you're doing things like pinning while seated, try doing that on a kitchen table or counter that is at hip height or higher, just to reduce the amount of time you're seated. Another thing is to make sure your back is straight, and not hunch over, while seated at your machine.

Or you could be like Tree of Stitchless TV and just do everything at a high wooden table. She sews standing up because she hates having to move a project back and forth across a room. Her impatience and enthusiasm are what make her show so great, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012 09:54:23 AM »

I just have an old padded office chair for my sewing chair, the only pain I have is in my shoulders & neck from hunching over, bad form, I know, I'm working on it, lol. But it works for what it is, it's comfortable & I'm able to lean back in it while handsewing.

While my husband & I are just getting started in the real world I haven't been able to spend much on getting the workroom of my dreams. What I really miss & want to have again someday, is a waist height table covered with pinnable material & muslin. I much prefer to do most of my work standing or on stools, the only time I really like to sit is when I'm actually at the machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012 11:52:21 AM »

I have an adjustable office chair.  It has enough padding in the seat to be comfortable and I can adjust the height to the different levels I need for my different sewing desks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
tightsandtea
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012 04:09:38 PM »

^ I also use an adjustable office chair--they're usually designed with 'ergonomics' in mind lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CarinaJo
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012 09:24:25 AM »

I recently moved and downsized considerably, so now my sewing space is in my bedroom. I used to sit on a nice cushy rolling office chair but I liked to sit with my legs very far apart and the arms of the chair would dig into my thighs. So now I sit on two milk crates stacked on top of each other, with a cheap throw pillow on top.  Roll Eyes Not fancy at all and a little embarrassing to admit but it works for me since I don't actually spend a lot of time sitting when I sew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012 04:10:02 AM »

I got back aches from bending over patterns and cutting out all the parts. What I did was buy 4 cheap clay pots, turned 'em upside down and raised my table by sitting the legs on top of the pots. Solved that problem pretty well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lissablair

I like my coffee like I like my men: pale & bitter

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012 08:24:38 PM »

I use my computer chair, since my computer room is slowly morphing into my craft  room ^_^  I've noticed that I move around a LOT when I sew, and the few times I tried sitting in a plain wooden chair were just a pain for me.  I also keep my ironing board set up to one side of my sewing machine at about the same height as the top of the cabinet so that in order to iron  something, i can just turn to the side.  I love it when laziness encourages me to make things more user-friendly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is nothing on earth more entertaining than watching a pack of half-grown puppies playing in snow for the very first time.

http://www.wists.com/lissablair
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012 08:15:47 AM »

I have a really terrible habit of sitting on the floor.....  Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012 08:27:08 PM »

I use an inexpensive "secretary chair" I got on sale at one of those office places, about $20.  No arms to get in the way, adjustable height, nice padding.  I made a cover to keep it clean, and wheel it to various parts of my studio for sewing, painting, torchwork, and general craftystuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Thick Hair Into a Messy, Cool Top Knot
Pro Tips from a Celebrity Colorist: Touching Up Your Roots
A Sleek Pony and Simple Makeup for a Busy Day
Alexandra Transforms for Her Big Audition
Make Up For Ever Collaborates with 50 Shades of Grey
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...