Step by step:
I saw this slightly bland but promising frame at ikea yesterday and decided it needed a colorchange and a new purpose in life
So I removed the back (not pictured above even, I'd already removed it - it was just a simple snap-on-snap-off backing) and cut off three of the four picture-support thingies - leaving one for the mirror to rest on once I glued it ononly one support left...
...you can probably use a dremel or something. I had this saw thing
Then I sprayed the whole thing black! Making sure I got every nook and cranny...
It was this awesome hobby spray that only takes 2-3 minutes to dry (less even, but it says 2-3 minutes). ...then a coat of red, going only from the inside out, at about 45 degree angle
Then a final black coat, going from the inside out at about 5-10 degree angle, plus a little distance-spraying over the whole thing to darken it, and close range spraying at the outside (to get rid of stray red misty coating) and the flat part inside the patterned bit.
Then I grabbed a mirror (from a 4 pack from ikea) and glued it to the back with some sort of workman's glue my dad has been using for housework, resting against the support I left on the mirror. I put the really thick strands of glue about an inch away from the opening, as the mirror is almost as wide as the frame anyway, which let the glue move about when pressed together, without peeking out in front.
Giving us a complete mirror that suits its room a lot better than if it had stayed white!