A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 305,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Having trouble with long and short stitch  (Read 1354 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyOctober
« on: July 20, 2012 11:44:27 AM »

Maybe you knowledgeable Craftsters can help me out here, because I am going crazy wondering what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to fill in a couple of cartoon characters with long and short stitch. The area I'm working on is too big for satin stitch or I'd do that. Now, I am only using ONE color (I'm not using long and short stitch for shading, which seems to be where it shines). The problem is, after reading all manner of tutorials and watching several videos (all of which show shading though), I'm unhappy with how my long and short stitch looks on the fabric. It's just so... obvious, I guess. Like, it just looks like little staggered rows of stitches instead of one seamless fill the way I see it in all the pictures of other people's attempts.

Any tips on how to make it look smooth and full? Or, do you have an even better suggestion for a fill stitch to use when only filling in one color? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Yup, definitely not hipster enough for Craftster.
sewphie

embroidery addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012 01:39:34 PM »

Ok, I will do my best to explain how I do it but i'm not good at describing this sort of thing! I find if I do horizontal rows of long and short it has lots of horizontal lines in it but if i work vertically it looks better. So i do a row of back stitch vertically up the area I want to fill then another 'column' of backstich down the area offsetting the stitches with those in the adjacent column (see told ya I was useless at explaining, it would be a damn sight easier if i could SHOW you!) The end result should be the same stitch pattern as long and short but it looks smoother ( I think some people refer to this a brick stitch)
My fave fill stitches though are a) split stitch worked around the outside of the shape then spiraling into the centre or in rows up and down the shape and b) rows of stem stitch again working from the outside it or up and down the shape - obviously in both of these options the rows need to be worked very close together so no fabric shows through
Sorry for the essay- let me know if it doesn't make any sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like my stuff? Why don't you come visit sometime?
http://sewphietom.blogspot.com
XenLoLo
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012 01:00:38 PM »

I too have been looking into long and short stitch to fill up a large area. In my most recent project, I attempted to do a satin stitch vertically - it looked terrible, so I satin stitched over it horizontally, which looked much better. However, I think the next time I have a large area to fill I will try the long and short stitch. I think I understand what Sewphie means by making the rows vertically vs horizontally and I will definitely do that. I would have never thought to use a split stitch to fill a shape - also something worth trying!
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyOctober
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012 11:51:18 AM »

I think I finally got it figured out. What I wasn't doing, and what I somehow missed (I rewatched a video tutorial on needlenthread.com and noticed it this time) is that you're supposed to split your stitches in the previous row. Basically, long and short stitch is a fancy name for doing a bunch of staggered split stitches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Yup, definitely not hipster enough for Craftster.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make Mac and Cheese in a Rice Cooker
Savory French Toast BLT Recipe
Old-Fashioned Cheeseburgers
How to Make Jumbo Soft Pretzels
Paul McIlhenny, Tabasco CEO Dies at 68
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...