A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,735
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Miniaturists/Shrine makers: How do you organize tiny things?  (Read 2856 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 19, 2012 01:19:29 PM »

I have a huge problem. I have a whole craft room and NO IDEA how to organize it.   I dabble in everything, but mostly fiber (needlefelting, fiber processing) and making tiny things.  And anyone who makes miniatures knows that that hobby involves everything from clay to paint to scrapbooking to woodworking to junk collecting.     How do you organize your stuff, particularly found objects that don't have a purpose yet?  I'm looking for something a little more creative than just tossing everything in a box.  I'd like to organize somewhat by project idea, but as for trinkets I've collected here and there, out of sight usually equals out of mind.  I need my things to be accessible and visible so I know what I have to work with.   Does anyone have a genius organization system?? If you do, pictures would be greatly appreciated Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012 01:35:27 PM »

This is a great thread!  I have a few organizers but seem to have stuff everywhere.  I'm also curious how folks store  stuff so as not to completely forget you have it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
microjivvy
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012 03:35:59 PM »

I mostly throw stuff in a box.  Cheesy

I do have many divided boxes (I think they were made for beads? got them at Target or Michael's or Joann's).

I also have an old desk with nine drawers. My jeweler's bench with many drawers.

However, I do have an organization tip -- those hanging shoe bags and/or jewelry organizers.  If you have a place to hang it and you get one with clear pockets, it's a fabulous help and requires little space.

Jewelry bag example: http://www.amazon.com/Household-Essentials-80-Pocket-Accessories-Organizer/dp/B0010XX7ZQ/
Shoe bag example: http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-Clear-Organizer-Storage-White/dp/B001F51AHG/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012 04:06:03 PM »

I also use divided boxes.  I love your hanging organizer suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Icekibby

Leopardprint Goddess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012 06:43:25 PM »

I saw a brilliant idea once. No photo, but it's simple so you can surely imagine it:

You collect some same sizes jars with lids. They can be from baby food or up to spaghetti sauce sized jars, or I guess even some of each if you like. 

Screw the lids to the underside of a shelf you're using in the room, then fill the jars and screw them into the lids securely. That way you can see the contents, they don't take up extra space, and you're organized for batches of small items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist: http://www.wists.com/IceKat

Will swap for 1:12 exotic & magical dollhouse furniture and accessories, amigurumi, magical poppets.
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012 01:22:28 AM »

I'm just posting so I can see the ideas people have - because my stuff is randomly placed and I'm unable to find most of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012 06:52:28 AM »

I have a huge can that Christmas popcorn came in that I toss things into...I also need a better way to organize those special things so that I remember they are there!

Can't wait to share ideas!  I might work on my wee house more if I knew what I had without digging around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012 08:47:49 AM »

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem!  I've started collecting glass jars.  I was thinking about putting up some shelving in my craft room and I like the idea of screwing the lids underneath... I have a system like that in my garage for screws and things.  I also use tackle-type boxes for organization, but I run into the problem where they are not very see-through.  I guess I am needing everything to be clearly visible for inspiration purposes Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012 08:59:46 AM »

Me, too...I just scored some free shelves from work!!!  My boss is in a redecorating/cleaning up mode and is throwing a bunch of stuff out!

I got a whole box of see through cd cases, see through plexi shadow box frames, and see through plexi flat frames...I bet I can use them to store some stuff...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smmarrt

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012 09:39:30 PM »

I am a preschool teacher/director and for the kids, we organize by color and with bins. We put a photo or drawing of the stuff in the bin on the outside of the bin which makes clean up a snap - cars? They go in the cars bin. People? They go in the people bin, and so on.

I just started organizing my sewing stuff in a clear plastic shoe holder. My apartment is so dark that I have trouble seeing the black versus the navy, the maroon versus the red thread. So after I take a lamp-making class next month, I'll still have the organized sewing things hanging on the door. (I live alone so I really don't care if my apartment/craft palace ends up looking like a preschool classroom!)

I also LOVE the shoe and sweater bins from the Container Store. Again, I label or put a picture of the contents on the end - even though they are semi-transparent. I have also decided to make my life a bit easier and sort by simpler labels - wood stuff, metal stuff, plastic stuff. Those supplies are in the Container Store sweater bins which are about the size of a case of wine. The medium size bin, which I think is called a mens shoe bin, is good for flat storage - about 9" x 12" so they're  good for all papers, except 12" x 12" scrapbook paper. And I have many sets of shelves, and I have just started putting all the paper stuff on the same shelf; the assemblage and found objects together; electric tools and hand-held tools on the same shelf; and so on.

I am DETERMINED to be completely clutter-free (the floor and desk tops) by September 1st. Then I will truly be the Crafting Queen!

I'll be back to pick up tips from the rest of you.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012 09:41:21 PM by Smmarrt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap ROUND 3
Altered Puzzle Pieces - again!
Ninni Swap in August
Fall Dotee Swap in September
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Whiten Your Teeth on a Budget
A Must-Have Body Oil for Moms-to-Be
How to Apply Blue Smokey Eye Makeup
How to Tattoo Your Eyebrows
Allure Magazine Releases Anti-Aging Survey Results in April Issue
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...