A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Miniaturists/Shrine makers: How do you organize tiny things?  (Read 3381 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anefariousimp
Addicted to cute and tiny things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012 06:10:30 PM »

I have those divided boxes meant for bead work which are great for the tiny items.  I also use Ziploc bags, label them with a Sharpie, and then organize them into plastic storage boxes that I can stack on the corner of my desk.  I found that is the best way for me to keep track of random wood pieces, findings, and found objects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be strange. Be weird.  Be geeky. Embrace cuteness =)
www.anefariousimp.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/anefariousimp
http://pinterest.com/anefariousimp/

***I don't do personal swaps - I was flaked on and it was not a great experience, however I am open to commissions***
xmissmayhemx
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012 10:52:55 PM »

I have a couple of ways that I organize things. I has some pictures, let me show you them!

This is the wall opposite the door of my craft room. There are three bookshelves with an amalgam of crap. Please don't mind the dog bed on the floor......That the 18lb cat lays on too. My computer desk and printer/scanner are to the left of the bookshelf on the left.

This is the one on the left. On top I have the plastic divided containers. There are 11 with beads, 2 with charms/pendants, 1 with vintage buttons (mostly glass), and 1 with "miscellaneous crap". I also have two "books" with small containers for Swarovski, and two containers for seed beads. I use a Dymo electronic label maker to label EVERYTHING! On the second shelf is my plastic box with drawers. Again everything is labeled. This is mostly jewelry making things, with some random stuff in it.  Third and fourth shelves are office supplies.  Bottom is books and magazines, divided into magazine holders and labeled. I only keep crafting books and magazines in here.

This is the middle bookshelf. On top are ikea jars that I used chalkboard paint on. There are markers, some art supplies etc. There is a square jar that has ribbon it in. I wrapped the ribbon around clothes pins. Works well for short pieces. Second shelf is snap together tubs by snapware.  More ribbon, feathers, measuring cups, punches, moss, paint pens, colored pencils, dominoes, etc.  Then what I did is remove the last two shelves. I then stacked sterilite drawers on the left and then the 12x12 sterilite drawers on the right. Again, labeling is my friend! In the 12x12 drawer area, drawer 1 and 2 are tape. Drawers 2, 4 and 5 are rubber stamping supplies. Drawers 7,8 and 9 are paper and embellishments. This does NOT include the 8 drawer scrapbook tower that is stuffed full lol. OH! and on top of the 12x12 thing, are these awesome things I found at Michael's made by Tim Holtz. They are like printers trays but made of paperboard so you can embellish them, and have removable containers inside. I cut paper to fit and podged it into the different little sections and use them for flat and small things.

This is the bookshelf to the right. The top 4 shelves are fabric. I just fold and stack. The bottom is just random crap that finds a home in here.

This is my super awesome ikea desk. I love it because it has a glass top and it's easy to clean. To the left of it, next to the fabric bookshelf is a stacked set of white mdf drawer things I got at Michael's. These have poly clay, pasta machine, altoid tins, my glitter and glitter glue etc. My desk has regular glue and other crap in the left. In the right side cabinet is sewing supplies. To the right of the desk is the like 8 drawer scrapbook storage that is full. lol.  Oh and please excuse the mess on the desk, I was making miniature something!

This is in my closet. I found them at Walmart for $10. There were 4 cubes to a box, so I got two. I ended up epoxying the joints together cause it kept falling apart. This section is for yarn and tools. I may move the fabric in here too and the tools out to the bookshelf.

That's my area! It's usually pretty messy, so you got to see it on a good day! haha, my DH calls it "The Room of Death" because of all the halloween decorations/skulls/skeletons, which just makes me happy cause I love that stuff! Hope that gave you some ideas!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr photos!
Stars and Sparrows
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012 08:35:49 AM »

I see some good ideas in your space!

I also use my label maker for everything...Cheesy

I am pretty organized when it comes to supplies and common stuff, like beads, yarn, etc.  What I need ideas for are for those special things that I collect that I don't want to forget about...

I have a clear "bead" box that I keep special buttons in...maybe I need one of those to keep those special items in...I also like the idea of using small baggies and marking them...putting them in a basket on my workspace...I just found a " metal Doo-dad" next to my car when I came out of the gym...things like that...how do you keep track of them? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012 10:44:36 AM »

Wow, lots of good ideas. I think I may need to invest in a labeler. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012 11:36:15 AM »

I also keep a notebook with a list of supplies I have and where they are located...

I keep supplies for a particular craft all in one box: flowermaking, small crochet projects, yo-yo-'s, etc. "Kits" like these are kept under the desk next to my computer and TV...I can just grab a box and make something while watching tv...

I will take a picture of an idea I am trying for my special little "finds"...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kstaron
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012 11:30:26 AM »

little bags, boxes, and jars are your friend.
First I keep all my papers together, all my yarn together, all my clay together and such.

For little pieces I do tend to throw them into boxes marked "found items" "trash to treasure" or "whimsies" I do a couple other things too you might be able to use:

I found a pill dispenser with 56 compartments in it. I use it to put my smaller finished minis in before I'm ready to use them in a project. That way I can make a few dozen candle sticks, potion bottles, or loaves of bread and still find them later.

I have a set of jars that used to hold spices that can hold things like old bottle caps, small dominoes, little shells, watch parts and other goodies.

I have a large mason jar I keep all my buttons in. If I have a matching set of buttons I string them onto a large safety pin first so I can find them if I need things to match. The mason jar was painted a translucent purple to match my sewing room and the top is decorated as a fairy habitat.

I have decorated boxes for my lace, ribbon and paper embellishments.

I'm also in the process of decorating one of those little display cabinets shaped like a little house to show off the minis I've done but not used yet.

Hope that helps. Happy crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012 12:12:29 PM »

I found a pill dispenser with 56 compartments in it. I use it to put my smaller finished minis in before I'm ready to use them in a project. That way I can make a few dozen candle sticks, potion bottles, or loaves of bread and still find them later.

This is the best idea ever!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012 09:07:17 AM »

Well I have had a week of discoveries, mostly in my garage Smiley  I have been hoarding small shelving units and printer trays for like 5 years and pretty much forgot they were in there.  So I plan on painting the walls, spray painting my shelves and filling them with random sized jars and handmade/swap-received miniatures that don't have a home yet.  I also found a bunch of organizational things, some that I've received in swaps and just not had the right place for yet (or the organization!).  AND Michaels has all their bead organizers 50% off this week so I invested in a few of those and also found scrapbook paper sized files on super clearance.   I'm so excited to actually be formulating a plan... although my plan keeps making this project bigger and bigger!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012 10:21:56 AM »

Great finds!!  I do use the large paper files to store my large sheets of papers...come to think of it...I know I have some printer trays and silverware trays out in my garage as well...but where do I store them--where will you put yours, CamOovas?

I threw out a lot of cans and non-see-thru containers...sometimes too many containers is not the answer!

I had to get into my paper crafting and painting room last night and decided that I really need to find a better organization system...I had four huge bins to get through to find what I knew was in there for a project...I think I am going to use up all of these old clear paper sheet protectors and a few notebooks to see if I can at least put some of the best images and papers in...nothing like spending two hours looking for the right head to glue onto a project...grrrr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012 12:54:10 PM »

I know I have some printer trays and silverware trays out in my garage as well...but where do I store them--where will you put yours, CamOovas?

I'm planning on hanging them up on the wall.  For those times when I think "I need to make a miniature cat/flower pot/fruit basket/etc." but then have no actual project to use it in Smiley  I also get lots of cool handmade mini things in swaps that should be displayed until I am ready to use them, instead of tossed in a box or something. 

I'm trying to get as much as possible into vertical storage rather than taking up valuable work space on the desks- I get too messy that way.  It would probably be fairly easy to turn them back into a under-desk drawer though, if you are wanting to lay them flat.  At least it sounds like it should be easy.....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012 12:57:14 PM by CamOovas » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Topshop Causes Controversy with Skinny Mannequins
DIY Pumpkin Pedicure
How To Get a Graphic Line Manicure
Our Best Beauty Secrets: Make Your Skin Glow With Vaseline
How to Get a Layered Curves Manicure
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...