A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas on how to make "metal" car decal  (Read 971 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

I see the fire, I see the end.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 04, 2012 01:51:13 PM »

I recently bought a used Toyota Yaris in bright blue. I'd like to make a silver magnetic thing to stick to my car that says "Tardis" in the Yaris font. I don't want a sticker because I want to be able to take it off. A former swap partner had used shrinky dinks and painted them silver, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a different way to achieve it, especially since the shrinky dinks would be flat and I'd like to make it look as much like the Yaris name on the car as possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They had not brains enough to be introverted and repressed." -Catch-22
etsy shop & faves
microjivvy
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012 02:26:00 AM »

Avery makes printable magnet sheets, but I don't know if they'd be strong enough not to blow off while driving...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012 05:54:57 AM »

Alright, I think I know how to make what you want, but it might be a bit complicated.

Since the logos and lettering are slightly raised and the decals are not paint or stickers it's going to require that the replacement decals are also raised.
What I'm going to suggest is casting your decals out of either a fiberglass resin or similar (2 part epoxy resin will work as well).
The first part is going to be where you need to pay the most attention, you need to design and cut the lettering from a material that is raised, bondo, closed foam (like the craft stuff from Michaels), wax, or anything else that you can manipulate well enough to make your positive mold from.
Personally I would do most of the design out of bondo and foam as I have plenty of experience working with them, work with what you're comfortable.
Once you have your positive design done you need to cast a good negative from it, plaster is ok, but since your design is likely to be kinda complex I would look for a more flexible medium for the mold, probably silicone or urathane rubber (like this one here).
Once you have your mold you will need to apply a release agent, then your casting material.

If you would like to know more please feel free to ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
Blacksmith

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012 05:57:59 AM »

Oh, forgot the most important part. The metal look, you mix aluminum, chrome, or other metal powder with your casting resin, the finer the powder, the more metal like it will look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

I see the fire, I see the end.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012 08:57:19 AM »

Alright, I think I know how to make what you want, but it might be a bit complicated.

Since the logos and lettering are slightly raised and the decals are not paint or stickers it's going to require that the replacement decals are also raised.
What I'm going to suggest is casting your decals out of either a fiberglass resin or similar (2 part epoxy resin will work as well).
The first part is going to be where you need to pay the most attention, you need to design and cut the lettering from a material that is raised, bondo, closed foam (like the craft stuff from Michaels), wax, or anything else that you can manipulate well enough to make your positive mold from.
Personally I would do most of the design out of bondo and foam as I have plenty of experience working with them, work with what you're comfortable.
Once you have your positive design done you need to cast a good negative from it, plaster is ok, but since your design is likely to be kinda complex I would look for a more flexible medium for the mold, probably silicone or urathane rubber (like this one here).
Once you have your mold you will need to apply a release agent, then your casting material.

If you would like to know more please feel free to ask.

Thanks, that sounds like it might produce the best result. I will see about that and ask if I have any questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They had not brains enough to be introverted and repressed." -Catch-22
etsy shop & faves
Blacksmith

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012 07:42:55 AM »

I'm going to be very curious about how this turns out, I'll be looking forward to seeing your results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 5/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 3/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 2/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 1/5
How to Make Homemade Jambalaya
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...