A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handmade felt fairy doll  (Read 11851 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aiar

can't... stop... crafting...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2005 03:28:03 PM »

Thank you everyone for the amazing response! It's so nice to be able to share these things with people who appreciate what goes into completing a project like this  Grin

She is BEAUTIFUL! So detailed too...Did you start with raw wool or sheets of felt (can you do that?) or both? I've been felting for awhile and never quite gotten details like you have in the hands. Great work!!

I used regular craft felt that you can buy at hobby stores/ Michael's/ Wal-Mart. The hands were executed with a pair of very sharp scissors, much lip-biting and occassional "strong" words! I didn't sew around the edges specifically for the reason that  was afraid the shape would be distorted. Next time I will glue thin wire in between the two layers so that her fingers can be "posed".

thats absolutely gorgeous. you could definately sell those for bundles of money.

Smiley The hours of work that go into something like this would dictate it would *have* to be bunches of money. Sadly, I don't think many people would be willing to pay what it's worth, except for serious collector's. Even though it is a small scale creation, the amount of supplies needed is quite substantial too. I estimate she cost around $150 to make, excluding labour.

WOW.....you have true talent!!!!  I went to your crafty journal and read the stipulations in order to view the pattern, but it still would not allow me to???
Keep up the good work - it is awesome!

Thank you! I didn't password protect the pattern or anything like that, so you should be able to click on the thumbnail image or the link that is in my craft journal post, and that will take you to the full size image. I was just there and I was able to access it (note: modblog has bee up and down for the past 5 days - maybe this is why you had a problem?). Email me if you're still haveing issues and I will send it to you that way [aiarnata (at) gmail (dot) com]

Shocked
That's just amazing! I love the detail!
And the problem is, you make it look so easy in the 'tutorial'... I want to give it a try knowing I won't get THAT far!

Give it a shot - it really isn't as difficult as it looks. You need:
1. Patience to hand stitch things and fight with rhinestones
2. Access to glittery things and pieces of pretty fabric so that you can play with design elements
and
3. Someone to massage your neck and back from sitting hunched over for too long!  Cheesy

Felt is _very_ forgiving - if you stuff it gently with little bits at a time and support the piece you are stuffing with your other hand, you can control the shape and fullness of the parts very nicely. It's cheap too, so you can mess up the base with no fear.

If anybody decides to give it a shot, I would love to see the results!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

clotho - lachesis - atropos
kymporter
One day sock monkeys will take over the world... make sure you're on their side!

I am indeed Vada's mom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2005 03:34:45 PM »

WOW!  I must say it again.  WOW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWI: Sewing While Intoxicated
cerulean
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2005 03:54:19 PM »

Wow. The doll is simply amazing.

I bet your friend will/must have love(d) it! (depending on whether she's received it or not).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_androidette
_luscious_

__beep. boop. beep__

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2005 04:03:02 PM »

_I think this should be in the Feature Projects because it is amazing!
aiar you are my doll-maker heroine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_!cheap robotic thrill with [AA] batteries required& coin operated heart || 'kissed the boys and made them cry with curves and kissers and pearly whites'
aiar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2005 07:34:16 AM »

*blush* and *blush* again

She does love it... and so does her bf  Cheesy
It's the legs - nobody can resist those killer felt legs HA HA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2005 11:57:42 AM »

I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2005 04:24:11 PM »

WOW!  You are extremely talented.  She is beautiful!

Smiley pinkleo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nico-tiro

Its Your Life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2005 11:26:29 PM »

no way that LOOKS like its worth that.
its so precious..

i mean sometimes people say dont undervalue the work and so on but looking at some other people quality you can
tell whats worth a hundred and thats worth 2!

my take: gallery show! installation view with fairies in setting...write-ups, stories. its a mini utopia! they are so in right now!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

aiar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2005 09:22:52 AM »

my take: gallery show! installation view with fairies in setting...write-ups, stories. its a mini utopia! they are so in right now!

You just reminded me of when I went to a nursery [plants & flowers nursey, not baby nursey Smiley] exhibition whre the artist posed all the fairy dolls in amonst the plants. Some were hanging from the roof of the solarium, snuggled in amongst the violets, bathing at the fountains... it was beautiful! The dolls were actually more sculptures and the artist based them off different plants, birds and beetles. Absolutely exquisite  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chindogu

"you don't need to see my identification."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2005 01:04:17 AM »

she really is beautiful!  you definitely captured the fairy spirit.  also, i can't believe she's 18 inches tall!  when i first saw her i thought she'd be 6 inches or so.  very impressive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"why should we buy postage stamps?!  we can make our own!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rihanna Goes Monochromatic and Cropped
Best Dressed and Hottest Trends at the 2014 Met Ball
Emmy Blotnick’s Exercise Makeover
Met Gala 2014: Best & Worst Dressed
Kim Kardashian’s Beauty Evolution
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...