There is a horror convention every 6 months very close to where I live. I'm planning a great devil outfit to wear when I go made from things I have acquired over the years. I wanted to incorporate a tail, but I didn't want just any old stuffed lump of fabric. I also recently quit my job so I have very little money to have executed this project.
I had made up some latex material similar to this when I made my sloppy joe costume this past Halloween, so I knew what I had to do. My budget was much tighter this time around.
I bought a small bottle of red Liquitex but everything else I had.
small bottle red Liquitex
outdoor mod podge
small section of a wooden skewer to make the vein in the point
I made the fabric by mixing Liquitex and outdoor mod podge (When I made the sloppy joe I mixed Liquitex and liquid latex but I couldn't afford it this time around). I slathered it onto a table and painted on layers of tulle to make it sturdy but still flexible. I trimmed off the extra to create a log strip of fabric which I rolled and hot glued together inch by inch while stuffing it little by little with tulle. The hot glue seam is on the underside...it's not very neat looking but I coated that with more red liquitex to try to blend it.
the point is made from a separate square of the same fabric which I folded and cut to a point. I hot glued a wooden skewer to the end of the tail and sandwiched the point over it to create a vein. The seam connecting the two was coated with more hot glue and more red liquitex.
It's exactly how I wanted it...not too heavy and fairly long...
I just need to figure out how to attach the darn thing!!!