A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage Thrift Store Dress Refashion!  (Read 2562 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

purringcat
« on: July 18, 2012 04:36:54 PM »

A couple of months ago, I picked up this vintage dress from a thrift store for $1. $1! How could I say no? It's 100% silk, and such a pretty colour. It was designed by Nora Noh, who was apparently Korea's first female fashion designer!

The dress had a few problems, as far as I could see. Firstly, it was completely shapeless. The only reason it has any shape at all in this photo is because I have my hands on my hips. Dropped waists are so unflattering (at least on me!) Secondly, the shoulder pads. So not a fan. Thirdly, the arms were really tight on me. And lastly, it was a really awkward, long length on me. Please excuse the mess and lank hair in this photo, I was really keen to get started and it was dark outside and I was already in my pajamas Tongue

So, I snipped out the shoulder pads, carefully unpicked and removed the sleeves, and restitched the armholes, and unpicked the whole drawstring waist thingy. I was worried that I would have to cut the dress in half at the drawstring point, but it turns out the whole thing could be completely unpicked and removed without any damage to the dress, except one tiny hole where the drawstring ties went through. I put the dress on inside-out and marked my waist, then sewed a length of elastic on the inside of the dress to match the marks. Finally, I cut off a good 5 inches of fabric from the bottom of the dress and sewed a new hem. I got a lot of conflicting info when I tried to research what kind of hem I should use (blind? hand-rolled?) so I ended up just doing a normal narrow hem and it looked fine to me.

I love the end result - it's light and flowy, flattering to my shape and perfect for summer!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012 04:40:44 PM by purringcat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KristenNicole
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012 07:03:16 PM »

Your redo of the dress is awesome!  The color and the shape are both very flattering on you. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmyLynn98
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012 07:17:22 PM »

See, THIS is what I'm talking about to my husband when I told him I needed that new sewing machine. Smiley I am having a hard time with this kind of reconstruction but I've decided to try smaller projects first. Smiley

FABULOUS JOB!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012 09:33:12 PM »

This was a great find. The new dress suits you very well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Hottest Hair Trends for Spring
8 Great Curling Irons and Hair Straighteners
Music-Festival Hair Tutorial: Braids Within a Braid
MicroTouch Max Personal Hair Trimmer: Does It Work?
The Hottest Hair Trends for Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...