A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do You Love Butter? The Bluebird's Buttercup Purse  (Read 2093 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LRShimer
Postcard From California

California Hiker, Plain Style, Arty-Romantic Sewer

View Profile WWW
« on: October 20, 2012 10:48:02 AM »

Back in the 1920's, when my mother was a little girl, there was  a game amongst her friends in regards to buttercups. They tickled each other under the chin with the bright yellow flowers and giggled "Do you love butter?", then checked to see if any pollen had stuck to their little chum's chin. My mother, not being a sentimentalist, recounts this activity with a curling lip. The fact that she still recalls it, tells it's own story.

I happen to love the buttercup purse pattern by Made by Rae (http://www.made-by-rae.com/2009/02/free-buttercup-bag-sewing-pattern/ ) . I first  discovered it on this forum, where it's quite popular. It's a free, easily downloadable purse pattern, with the caveat that it's not to be used to create items for sale. I've probably made close to ten of these winsome bags by now in a variety of sizes. Wonder what you'd find stuck on the bottom of my chin?

The basic pattern produces a rather small pocket-sized purse (which also made it perfect for a child, and I've made one for a little girl). But that's just the right size to hang across my chest to hold my iPod, keys and reading glasses and accompany me on a walk or when I'm attending to domestic activities. Essentially I use it to replace a pocket and it keeps my pants pockets from wearing out. I don't think the original pattern includes a long handle, but mine always do. I've started interfacing those handles with Peltex interfacing for a really sturdy strap.

However quite often, as in the case of this bluebird buttercup above, I enlarge the pattern for a regular purse-sized bag.

Techniques:

After downloading the pattern (it's only a couple of pages) and stapling or taping them together, I photocopy them at a couple of different sizes. I think 129% is the biggest my local copy store goes, so sometimes I've enlarged an enlargement. I also like to simply extend the bottom of the little purse to make it deeper.

This buttercup purse is a recreation of one I made from the same quilting-cotton fabric last January. I loved the bird embellished fabric so much that I pretty much wore it out. I didn't line much more than the top pieces and it didn't stand up to the weight of the items I put in. So I started over with fresh fabric.

This time through I stabilized the buttercup's bird fabric not only with fusible quilt batting on both the outer and lining layers, but also with a layer of crinoline on the inside of the outside pieces. I also did some simple quilting on the outside layer.

I found the lovely vintage tatting at the nearby De Anza Flea Market. It just happened to be the same width as the front yoke! I loved the fact that I already had a purpose for this embellishment when I found it. How often does that happen?

This buttercup is really standing up to the service I expect of her.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

This historically inspired time traveling, California Romantic, is enchanted by sewing
http://MeEncantaCoser.blogspot.com/
Sewing Podcast iTunes Store - Search for "Enchanted By Sewing"
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012 11:09:04 AM »

that is a gorgeous little bag, I can see why you wore out the first one!

hehe I remember doing the buttercup thing as a child (really not so long ago Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
My STS Winter 2016 shop!

I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art..."  Vladimir Nabok
LRShimer
Postcard From California

California Hiker, Plain Style, Arty-Romantic Sewer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012 03:21:23 PM »

Golly, and here I thought that was just some vintage kid activity!

Thanks for checking out my purse. Don't we just love to say look-what-I-made!

Laurel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This historically inspired time traveling, California Romantic, is enchanted by sewing
http://MeEncantaCoser.blogspot.com/
Sewing Podcast iTunes Store - Search for "Enchanted By Sewing"
Antidigger
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012 04:09:38 PM »

Yes, I did that too, but for me it was if your face shone yellow with the buttercup below it: I suppose if you'd got hot and sweaty your face would shine and you were likely to have just a little more weight than the other kids if they weren't hot and sweaty. When I was really little I thought butter was made from buttercups!

The bag is lovely: the lace trim gives it a very vintage feel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Taramor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012 08:52:55 AM »

It is a lovely bag - thank you for the link.

I remember playing it to, so the game was known in Denmark, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RetroGypsy
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012 12:48:43 PM »

I dig your interpretation of the buttercup bag and sharing your Mom's sweet memories. I am jealous hearing that you got the fabric at the De Anza...one of my all time fave places. I have not been able to go in quite some time as I have relocated to Texas. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Hot/Cold Rice Packs
Tute Tuesday: Tea Wallet
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Personalized Pet Collar

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...