A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wool skirt and sweaters and crepe-y ballet skirt co-existing in harmony!  (Read 11792 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

andi_sunrider
« on: June 28, 2005 02:38:43 AM »

So I started off with this sweater idea, of making a sweater with a really offset scoop neck. I had this burgundy sweater that I picked up a month ago for $2.

It's size 3x - quite a bit too big for me, so I had to totally resize it before playing around with the neck.  Six seemed to be the magic number for this sweater -- I cut six inches off the bottom of the sleeves to make it 3/4 length, I cut six inches off the bottom so it wasn't a dress, and six inches or so off each side to make it a lot tighter. The little pleating is lingerie elastic, which matches the bottom pleats so well:) It's not as side-scoop as I originally envisioned, but I still love it!

I wanted a skirt to go with it, because skirts kick butt (as well as accentuating the butt:)). So off to the thrift store! I almost bypassed the smaller sizes, but this one caught my eye -- a vintagey brown suiting wool pleated skirt, with two tiny pleats facing two tiny pleats, and then a big gap between them.

I absolutely adore vintagey skirts like this, and was determined to figure out a way to incorporate it, reguardless of the size!! The skirt started out with a 27'' waist; the pins in the photo mark where I cut it off. (Having to pin every pleat so the it wouldn't slip when I went at it with the rotary cutter) The old zipper was completely cut out, and I replaced it with an invisible one. So a $4.50 skirt, at half price, was $2.25, plus a new zipper for $2.40:).

I really like how underlays look when they peek out from underneath a skirt, so I pulled out what my mum thought was an apron when she bought it for about $3 at a thrift store.  On closer examination, it turned out to be a child's ballet skirt, which explains why it didn't fit around my waist....

So simply cutting a slit for the ballet skirt to show through wouldn't really match the style of the wool skirt, so I decided to divide the ballet skirt up up and insert it into the inside pleats of the skirt. Easier said than done! This skirt took me waaaay longer than I anticipated -- it was one of those projects that sounded really cool in my head, and I dove right into it before actually thinking it through.... Every new step lit off a light bulb of "woops, I didn't think of that.... Doh!" First, the ballet skirt was almost a perfect circle -- has anyone tried to divide a circle into 14 peices? So hard! The next problem was that I wanted the skirt to cover my butt cheeks -- but the little ballet skirt wasn't very long! So I settled for having shorted panels of that, since it would add to the "insert" type of look, and I still feel covered.. Then because the pieces weren't all the same length, I had to hem each peice of the suiting material. Since there were 14 sets of pleating, that meant 28 seams joining the suiting to the ballet skirt material, and then 28 serged seams so the pink didn't fray away to nothing. Then 28 2-3 inch side hems. Then, after trying the skirt on, I decided to sew down the pleats for 6 inches form the waist band, so that the skirt would look more flattering, and the pleats would look crisper, instead of stretching out at the curves. 56 6 inch lines of stiching later, and the skirt looked way cuter.  Finally, the waistband! Obviously, the original tiny waistband wouldn't fit me, so I cut off some of the top part, ironed out the pleats, and made a new waistband. Et fini!

But then I had a bunch of pleated-y fabric left over, still attached to the waistband. Clutch time! I took the tiny, tiny amount of scraps from the ballet skirt (some were only an inch wide:)), serged them together for lining, and then sewed up one side and the bottom of some of the brown fabric. I don't know how to change the serger thread -- who can spot where I coloured the white thread with a brown sharpie to get it to blend in with the wool, lol! I stitched the lining in by hand so I wouldn't wreack the lines stitching on the waistband, added a few tiny snaps inside it for closure, and then the final touch -- gorgeous huge red button!

I'll see how much I actually wear this outfit, but I love how it all looks together, and how the little bag - which took a fraction of the time compared to the other two peices, less than an hour -- ties it all together. I may use the purse just by itself.

So grand total from the thrift store:
Sweater - $2
Ballet Skirt - $3
Wool Skirt - $2.25
Total -- 7.25 CAD
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 05:21:07 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
GraceOblivious
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005 03:30:37 AM »

WOW!! amazing transformations.  Enjoyed the write-up too, really held my interest.  So impressed that you persisted through all the trials.   Especially like the purse - though it is all great. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
starlene

Feed you purse addiction 24/7!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005 05:29:35 AM »

Your skirt is gorgeous, your hard work paid off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005 05:11:27 PM »

that skirt came out great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005 05:38:13 PM »

another incredible make over! I love what you did to the skirt! It is so cool. I love the combination of the pleats and the flowers peaking out. And the purse wow what can I say?  I LOVE PURSES!!!!
Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005 04:32:56 AM »

It exhausted me just reading your description of what you did!
what patience!
I really like your whole outfit... after all that work, I hope you do end up deciding to wear it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sweet_Enemy
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005 06:44:10 AM »

It exhausted me just reading your description of what you did!

Oh my goodness I agree.   Kudos!  How long have you been sewing clothes? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andi_sunrider
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005 10:30:47 PM »

Oh my goodness I agree.   Kudos!  How long have you been sewing clothes? 

I've been sewing on and off since grade eight or so; I'm starting my fourth year of university in a few weeks. Usually I tackle easier projects, though -- this one pushed my skills to the limit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
jencrawf
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006 06:36:28 PM »

The purse is awesome.  I am crazy about pleats and buttons!  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The crafternator
staciart

Old, but not rotten...yet.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007 06:09:12 PM »

This is incredible!  LOOOOOOVE the ensemble! Really creative and well executed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make White Chocolate Shortbread
Pumpkin Caramel Oatmeal Squares Recipe
How to Make Frightful Candy Apples
Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream Recipe
Halloween Ghosts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...