A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 308,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
277 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pink and purple pride outfit!! (complete with the marvelous WIG!)  (Read 26815 times)
Tags for this thread: wig , dye , crinoline  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 28, 2005 01:26:21 AM »

here's my entry.... i'm so excited about it!

the wig is made of variegated wool sewn onto lingerie elastic that created a form once it was on my head. i love how crimped it looks. it's really comfy, but seeing as it's 98% wool, it's probably gonna be really hot to wear!

the outfit consists of the wig, a dyed slip for a top (i could have made it fancier, but i didn't think the outfit really needed anything else! i left it long so that it can be worn by itself too.), a mini skirt, and a polkadot petticoat. i think the slip would look really cute layered with a black slip to wear as a dress, and the petticoat would be cute over pants, or under a circle skirt.

i think i like this outfit better without the skirt though. the petticoat is 7 and a half yards around the bottom ruffle, it took forever to gather!

i never ever wear colours like this, but i wear a lot of pink accessories, like the hair clips, necklace, earring, fishnets and false eyelashes, so they fit perfectly! and i dyed the purple knee highs specifically for this outfit, to wear under the fishnets. i think i'm going to wear it for the pride parade, once i get some pink shoes. i've never had my pride outfit ready this far in advance before! 

and as for what i used......

the most wonderful wool. it came in a big bag of 5 skiens, with 3 skiens of purple cotton. i used about a skien and a half of the multicoloured wool, and less than one skien of the purple. so now i have lots left over to crochet with!
$3.00

a big sheer polka ikea curtain that i got for really cheap since it had a few stains. nothing that purple dye couldn't fix! and it dyed so nicely, the polka dots are so bright. i still have more than half left, i might dye it red or bright pink.
$2.50

a punjabi suit, probably a men's, considering the fabric, despite the colour. women's suits are usually silkier. i only ended up using the bottom, and i like the outfit better without the skirt i made of it!
$2.50

and

a slip dyed purple as well. i forgot to take a picture, but it was just a regular white slip.
$1.50

$9.50 total!

which is pretty good for a wig, dress/top, skirt and a petticoat. not to mention all of the leftovers!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008 09:20:40 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
carina
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005 02:35:30 AM »

You've been busy, but you've done fine!!!
It looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What does not kill you, only makes you stronger
decibel
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005 02:46:19 AM »

Oh boy!

Is that the prettiest Pride ensemble I've ever seen, or what? Yes it is. Well, it is certainly up there on my top 5. Cheesy
I'm especially loving the wig.

You should visit Stockholm in August and show off that beautimous outfit a second time.

Have fun Pridin'!!
<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ophelia
*OpHeLiA*

i <3 craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005 07:17:02 AM »

Now that is what I'm talkin about! That is the coolest wig ever!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005 09:45:48 AM »

oh that's so fab. *sniffle* another reminder that I had to miss the pride parade this year....Oh well, at least you'll look too fab at yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
LiquidScissors

Who would of known

Hank's a bomb. Long story.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005 12:48:25 PM »

wow you should post some kind of tutorial for that wig, it is so cute!!  I have so much yarn going to waste, that could be wig-ified.
Great job!
-Liquid
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Is it because you killed a whole bunch of ninjas while it was playing? So now it reminds you of ninjas?"
strangey
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005 02:33:55 PM »

cute!  Smiley Reminds me of Betsey Johnson, sorta. Really great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005 05:10:56 PM »

AAAH! I love it. Its freakin adorable. I was hoping you'd enter because I knew you'd make something fabulous Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005 05:46:34 PM »

wow that is amazing! I am so impressed with your dying the fabrics! They look fabulous! I want to dye some things but am afraid to do it! I alwayxs worry about screwing it up! I love the colour combo you did too and the wig well I just can't believe you put all of this together for under ten bucks!  I think your wig is quite a unique accessory to your outfit!
I once made a raggedy anne wig with red yarn like yours but the colors of the yarn you used are so vibrant and really really work together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arksiel
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005 05:52:07 PM »

this is awesome! the wig reminds me of the rainbow brite wig my mom made me out of yarn when I was three. hehe my mom was so proud of that wig because most people screwed it up and she got tons of compliments!

great job, this is awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005 06:59:24 PM »

thanks so much everyone!

You've been busy, but you've done fine!!!
thank you! i'm glad you didn't mind waiting!

Oh boy!
You should visit Stockholm in August and show off that beautimous outfit a second time.

maybe one day! pride here isn't until august too, it's later than most places. and pride in vancouver is expensive enough, i'll never make it to stockholm!

wow you should post some kind of tutorial for that wig, it is so cute!!

thanks! i thought about trying to take some pictures of the inside to show how i made it, but they didn't really turn out. i'm not so sure i could manage to do it again for the tutorial!

AAAH! I love it. Its freakin adorable. I was hoping you'd enter because I knew you'd make something fabulous Grin

aw, thanks hawaiilove! that's awesome! i'm super impressed with the stuff you made too, i've just been too busy sewing all weekend to comment on any of them!

wow that is amazing! I am so impressed with your dying the fabrics! They look fabulous! I want to dye some things but am afraid to do it!

oh, just go for it! i love dying stuff. and i love dying slips, because you end up with several shades of colour, each lace dyes differently. i dye a lot of trims too.

the wig reminds me of the rainbow brite wig my mom made me out of yarn when I was three.

i actually have a half finished rainbow brite wig from a few halloweens ago that i was making out of yellow polar fleece, and now that i've done this, i'm really tempted to start all over with yarn! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

impeach_this

"Let's flip the track, bring the old school back."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005 10:07:30 PM »

wow. the wig...is...awe-inspiring. i can't wrap my mind around how someone would make one of those. but wow. just wow.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005 08:28:56 PM »

Fantastic job! I especially love how the wig turned out... stunning colors!

The polkadot petticoat is gorgeous as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
super geek

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005 03:26:10 PM »

Uh, this rocks!  And, don't call me stupid, but what's "pride"?  Uh, that sounded ultra-stupid, but you know what I mean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
BadKittyUSA33

I'm a kitty!!! A BAD ONE!!! meow...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005 10:22:45 AM »

omg that is like the coolest thing i have ever seen!!!  incredible!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'.(`'.**.' ).')     
.*  MOLLYWOOD!!!!!  * .      
(. '(.'**`'.)`'.)   Rock on!
ThatFalafelGirl
I'm an Alpaca!!!

Ambivalent about Adulthood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005 08:55:19 PM »

That wig is the RADDEST (two D's?) thing i have EVER seen. PLEASE  try and post a tutorial! Did it take very long, was it overly challenging! I needs must make one!!!!!!! Smiley

-Falafel! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bats Need Friends!
craftydame

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005 02:48:19 AM »

i realized i never replied to this - sorry!

pride is gay pride/queer pride, whatever. it happens in lots of major cities during the summer. the bigest event (at least for the straight people who come to watch) is the pride parade, though it's about my least favourite part, it's extremely commercialized here and is literally hours long, i always get heat stroke! there's also lots of other activities going on before and after it, like various cultural events and parties. and in my city, we have the queer film festival that starts right after pride, so it seems like pride goes on for quite a while!

and the wig took some figuring, and i think it took me about 8-10 hours to do.

maybe one day i'll do a tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedCrayon
I"VE GOT SOMETHING TO SAAAAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005 09:30:35 PM »

thats pretty much the funnest wig ever. It reminds me of my old Rainbow Bright Dolls
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.redcrayon.etsy.com
http://www.myspace.com/msbettie

"You know, I cried when I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. And then I laughed...really hard."
~Jerri Blank
varandra
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006 10:33:32 AM »

Ooooh I simply love the wig! I'll have to make one for myself!! It's so fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly. Friendly in general.

LOOKING FOR COFFEE PACKAGES ( the "heavy-plastic-bag-type") FROM ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. CONTACT ME FOR PERSONAL SWAP. Smiley

Blog

Inspiration for swap partners:  wists
Amie.v
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2006 04:08:20 AM »

That looks so neat! Best entry yet, and i looked at all of them. Thumbs up! Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SidekickFancy
...and then there was Fancy...

Funny how it feels when there's nothing to say...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006 02:29:14 PM »

That's so wicked awesome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness can be found in the darkest of times...if one only remembers to turn on the lights.

You can lead a heart to love, but you can't make it fall.

http://www.wists.com/thegyrlwholived
RamenQueen
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2006 09:09:57 PM »

I must make that wig ( in my college colors of course ) to wear to the games... I recently chopped off all my hair and can actually wear a wig WOOT! If you do make a tute let us know !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
divaredhead

It is teh fluffy tiem...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2006 12:42:08 PM »

WOW!!

What an awesome wig!  You have totally inspired me. 

I would love to know how oppressively hot it was, though, since Pride in a wig kinda makes me sweat just to think about it!!

DivaR
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Littlefoot518

Me and my wonderful hubby!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007 09:46:35 AM »

Wow
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is short.... craft now!!
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007 09:59:51 PM »

Totally awesome.  Making yarn wigs like that is really fun, and super-cheap!
I just wore my "a little pussy never hurt anyone" t-shirt (and a gorgeous redhead) to Pride this year, but that was okay, because we thought we were gonna die in the heat as it was (and it was like seven bucks for a bottle of water- ugh).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
craftydame

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007 11:24:16 PM »

i haven't actually attempted to wear it to pride yet... the year i made it (jeez, several years ago now), i ended up wearing something else, though damned if i can remember what.... maybe that was the year i started boycotting pride?

however, i did wear it to a party, and i think i can now guarantee that i'll never wear it to pride - i felt sooo unsexy in it! i felt like a rag doll! i love it, but not the mindset one wants to be in at pride while surrounded by nudity!

i do have all the fabric to make a matching doll costume though (i ran out of time this halloween), so i'll hopefully wear it again. it's gotten some good wear though, i've lent it out to a few friends as well. it looks surprisingly hot when worn with a gas mask!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007 09:48:53 AM »

i love it, but not the mindset one wants to be in at pride while surrounded by nudity!
Oh god, I know.  I felt so bad last year for being in a sweaty t-shirt around a bunch of hot grrls with nothing on top but HRC stickers over their nipples!
As far as boycotting Pride goes, I think I'm with you on that one.  It kinda just feels like a lot of overpriced crap, no parking, and hot pavement. 
Beyond that, I think Denver has more or less gotten to the point where they know that "we're here" and "we're queer", and gotten over it.   I'd rather go to the dyke bar down the street from my house - at least they serve beer.

it looks surprisingly hot when worn with a gas mask!
EVERYTHING looks hot with a gas mask Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!
September 21, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...