A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How Emboss Paper (one-time job)?  (Read 1132 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nehmo
« on: July 24, 2012 09:11:05 PM »

I'd like to emboss a design on (24lb) paper. This is typically done with two, male & female, dies, and the paper gets compressed between them. I can order a two-part metal stamp for a 2 inch diameter design. But it cost about $100 USD (from my research) and I only want to use it once.
I don't really need high resolution and I'm capable of doing the artwork, which will be black & white high contrast, myself. Is there some method to transfer an image to some kind of clay? Or do any of you have any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012 05:26:51 AM »

Make a stamp out of your material of choice (wood, bondo, lineolum, etc), set it up under the paper and rub with the back end of a spoon.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
Nehmo
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012 01:26:08 PM »

Make a stamp out of your material of choice (wood, bondo, lineolum, etc), set it up under the paper and rub with the back end of a spoon.
Other than carving by hand, is there some common method of transferring an image to wood or Bondo?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
microjivvy
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012 10:03:22 AM »

For transferring an image to wood, google "freezer paper transfer"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012 11:34:15 AM »

What do you want to emboss - is it the artwork, or something else?  I wonder if it would work to draw a design on with something like a glue gun, and when it is dried, to use that as the base to rub your paper on? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Nehmo
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012 12:36:10 PM »

(Just looked it up) The freezer paper technique consists of using inkjet printing to put a mirror image of the original image on the waxy side of freezer paper and then placing the waxy side down on the target wood and then heat-ironing the print onto the target wood.

That's crafty.

(I also learned the terms for the dies in embossing are die and counter-die.)
(I made a mistake in my original post regarding the resolution. I said I didn't need "high", but now I realize what I need could be termed "high resolution". I would like something around 14 pt lettering to show decently - not perfectly.)

But now thinking about it, it's going to be really difficult to get the resolution, i.e., detail, that I want.   I'd have to carve the image into the wood. It's humanly possible, I know, but it would be nice to come up with some sort of photo-engraving technique.

I'm beginning to think the only reasonable way to get an embossing stamp of any quality is to pay the hundred bucks and order one. I wonder how those companies do it. This is one place I've found so far http://rstamp.com/custom-embossers/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012 05:42:09 PM »

Etch it in metal then, chemical etching should do just fine for that resolution.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Nehmo
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012 09:46:52 AM »

Etch it in metal then, chemical etching should do just fine for that resolution.
I repeat, I'm not knowledgeable in any method of transferring a image to a material object. But the quick search on metal etching yielded advertisement statements like 'as Deep as .003" with Deep Etch'. That's not enough depth to make embossing dies.

Is there some particular method of chemical metal etching that you know of that produces a deeper etch?

I really wonder how these embossing stamp companies do it. It must be a photo-mask method of some sort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012 06:24:19 AM »

http://mordent.com/etch-howto/

Depending on the equipment you have on hand you can do this for stupid cheap (it cost me all of $30 to get into it).
You can etch up to 1/32-1/16 of an inch deep, it's just a matter of being able to transfer your masking material.

I've used the process outlined in the above link for several different etching processes and a springboard for a couple different metal plating projects after changing the recipe a bit.

For deep etching use lower voltage and more time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet the Maniac Pumpkin Carvers and Their Cool Pumpkins
The Making of the Wired Design Logo at TechShop, San Francisco
DIY Gourd Candles
Shinola: American Made Watches and Bikes
Folk Fibers: One-Of-a-Kind Hand-Stitched Quilts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...