A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brother 634D Serger Questions...  (Read 1270 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Exquisitely.Plush

Creativity benefiting the REAL everyday woman.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2012 07:25:26 PM »

I came across a Brother 634D serger at my local thrift shop for only $35! As an aspiring plus size clothing designer, I work with knits 99% of the time, which is why I went searching for a serger for a good price (I wanted to try a used older model because its cheaper and better for learning because I didn't want to waste a lot of money on something I would end up not using). Anyway, I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me:
-Can I use regular spools of thread with this machine and, if so, how?
-How does this differential feed thingy work?
-How do I oil it?
-Can I sew fishnet or lace without the machine "eating" the fabric?
-And what suggestions do you have for using this machine with knits, especially silky modal knits?

Thanks in advance for your greatly appreciated advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beauty is defined ONLY by the way you carry yourself...
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012 10:19:12 PM »

Okay, I don't know anything about this serger, but I can suggest how to find your info.

Google the name/model of the machine, with the words "owners manual"

Practically all sewing machines (and appliances) have downloadable OMs now, even really old ones.  You may find it for free, or might have to pay for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Exquisitely.Plush

Creativity benefiting the REAL everyday woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012 11:24:16 AM »

Thanks. I actually had found the free manual before I posted this thread but couldnt get it to download so I asked these questions. I used my brother's laptop to download it and save it on my ereader but forgot to post the update on here. I'd still love it if anyone has any advice for serger newbies when it comes to modal knits, ity, lace, fishnet, etc. So far, I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this serger. To be such an old model, it is in amazing condition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beauty is defined ONLY by the way you carry yourself...
THEkrps
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013 10:40:21 AM »

I'm always the one that's late to the party, but here goes.

I own this serger. I bought it new, for a few hundred dollars, nearly 20 years ago, at BJs. Something I wouldn't even consider doing now, hahaha!

I'm assuming that since you finally got the manual, you probably know how the differential feed works by now. Not that I play with it that much myself, it's the perfect little machine for me. I had some difficulty getting the needles, but finally found them locally and was so thrilled, I think I bought myself a lifetime supply. Of course, since then, I seem to be going through them quite often, but hey, there's still hope that I won't need to ever get them again.

I've used every conceivable cone thread, but more recently, I'm sticking to buying the higher quality stuff.

I use it to sew loads of stuff, but don't have ever sewed "fishnet or lace" or even "silky modal knits" with it.

I hope you are enjoying your find! I'd buy another in a heartbeat! Good luck with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monstergramma
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013 06:32:03 AM »

I had one of these machines for 10 years, Finally I decided I wanted a new one, bought a singer and hated it, returned it and bought a new brother (I had already foolishly sold the old one)  The new one is alot quieter but other than that it's the same awesome machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Angelina Jolie Goes to the Dark Side
Johnny Wujek Spills Prom Tips and Trends
What To Wear On A Date Versus A Night Out With The Girls
What To Wear On A Date Versus A Night Out With The Girls
The Sheer Trend
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...