A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 308,218
Currently Running With Scissors:
243 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Insulating walls without ripping out exisisting  (Read 820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Msmalleycat
« on: October 08, 2015 03:13:37 AM »

So we are in the process of moving to the old family farm house.  There is not insulation to speak of in the home.  We are only going to be there about 2 years while we prepare to build on the property, so we don't want to put to much in to remodeling it.  We also won't have time before it gets cold to just rip out the walls and put up insulation and new dry wall due to crazy work schedules right now.  So I am looking for thoughts and ideas on what we can use to insulate the walls.  I was going to get heavy blankets to put up, but it wouldn't look very good.  I saw online taking the pink insulation panels and cover them with fabric.  But I can't find out how the fabric is attached, but more important, how the panels are attached to the walls.  I would love to hear others ideas.  Suggestions for covering the walls directly with fabric, too.  What fabrics do you think would make for good insulation. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015 05:53:18 AM »

Oh dear, well, when we put up the shell of our second floor, there was no insulation over a year or two until DH was ready to do the electrical and duct work.  I was concerned about loss of heat through the roof/second floor and efficiency of our AC during the summer, but we did not want to spend a lot of money on something that would end up possibly being thrown away.  So he found a form of styrofoam sheeting insulation.  It comes in large flat sheets so we were able to also lay it over the stairwell opening also without any extra support.  It doesn't have as high an R factor as the fluffy stuff (the higher the R rating, the more insulating it is), but it sounds like anything is better than nothing.  Maybe you probably can glue something onto them or paint them to make them more appealing, but I would ask before piercing them.

You could also maybe look into things like caulking the windows or putting a weather barrier on them in the winter, changing the weather stripping on the doors.  Thicker, heavier curtains, at the windows, and floor coverings will help too.  What kind of heating do you have?  If there are unused rooms or areas in the house, you may want to close off the heating ducts there and shut and seal the doors to those areas.  Then there are the little things, like wearing layers, and hot water bottles in bed, layers of covers, flannel or microfiber sheets, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest
If anyone is swapping with me & happens to see any of the Pickup Trucks Forever stamps on their mail - please pop them in the package for me - my hubby would love them!  Huge pre-emptive thanks
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015 06:15:42 PM »

Bubblewrap is a relatively inexpensive insulation for windows, and still lets in the light.  We put it up every winter and it helps tremendously in our house which we heat mostly with a wood stove.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...