A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lace Shorts Pockets-COMPLETE Tutorial  (Read 3413 times)
Tags for this thread: lace , shorts , pockets , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tee-Bean
« on: July 15, 2012 02:59:05 PM »

Lace Shorts Pockets--The complete tutorial with pics  Grin (Finally)

The finished product
I was on Pinterest the other day, and saw this pin.
And I thought to myself, (self), I could do that. So I did. I didn't do the lace on the front, I was satisfied just with the back pockets. But if you wanted to put lace on the front it would be a similar technique. Don't be afraid of the length of this tutorial, it's just very detailed. I finished both pockets in an afternoon.
This is my first ever tutorial, so bear with me. Please reply with any questions or concerns.

Supplies
You'll obviously need a pair of denim pants or shorts--I recommend shorts because it's harder to sew them shut by accident. Tongue
Lace-I started with two 6" squares which I cut to shape as I went but you may need more. Make sure your lace covers the pockets with 1/2" minimum extra all the way around if you aren't sure how big it needs to be.
Fusible Web (iron-on and washable)- I used Heat n Bond Lite. You don't have to use fusible web but I strongly encourage it to reduce annoying pinning and adhere the lace to the pockets rather than just attatching the edges.
Matching Thread

Lets get started.

Trace the very outer edge of the pockets onto the paper side of the fusible web with a pencil. (I used sharpie so you can see it.) Don't cut it out yet.

This is what you'll actually cut out; about 1/8" in from the sides and bottom, and 1/2" beyond the edge of the top. See the inmost vertical seams which attatch the sides of the pockets? We'll extend this line and call it the magic line. Cut the corners 1/8" down from the top of the pockets in a short distance to the magic lines on either side so that you can flip the top 1/2" inside the pockets.

Iron on the fusible web according to package directions. Start at the bottom and when you get near the top, flip the shorts over and fold the top flap inside the pocket, ironing from inside the pocket. Wait till it cools, then peel the paper off starting from the bottom. Don't iron excessively, or the glue will sink in to the denim and won't adhere to the sheer lace. You want it to look shiny like the above picture.

Now lay your lace over your pockets. Be sure to make sure that it's right-side up if there is a right and wrong side, and that if there's a direction to the pattern it's oriented right. Line it up so that the lace extends 3/4" beyond the top of the pocket. Here's where it gets a little complicated.

The yellow circle shows the inmost side seam we referred to earlier, the magic line.
The green line is 1/4".
The blue line is 3/4". (You should already have the lace here.)
The red line is where you'll cut the lace. Cut just the top for now, from the magic lines in (and down the magic lines to the top of the pocket as the picture indicates). Then, fold your lace flap down 1/4" onto itself and iron. Now fold the folded flap inside your pocket.

Iron on the outside of the pocket, starting at the top edge. Don't iron the sides and bottoms, just adhere the center of the lace so you don't have to try to pin it when your trimming and sewing it. But go ahead and flip it over to iron completely the inside flap, readjusting the 1/4" fold if you need to.

Now trim around the sides and bottom, approximately 1/4" from the edge of the pocket.

Fold one of the bottom sides under and iron down. Don't iron the adjacent corners yet, but do iron the lace that extends beyond the edge of the pocket on either end to help make the corners nice and crisp.

Now fold the other bottom side under and iron.

And up the sides, to 1/2" from the top.

Flip those corner tabs under, and touch up any shiny areas that need more ironing.

Now stitch around the lace, a little more than 1/8" from the edge of the fold. Don't sew the legs shut. Don't sew the pocket shut. I did it in two lines of stitching, both starting at the bottom point. This was so that I didn't ever have to start at the top corners, because they're thick and hard to sew on. In fact, when I got up to them, instead of using the pedal of my sewing machine I hand-turned the knob on the side. Make sure to sew all the way up and over to the magic lines. As always, backstitch when starting and stopping, and pivot around corners by lifting the foot while the needle is down.
Almost done. Handstitch across the top of the pocket (or handstitch the ends and machine stitch the middle if you think you can get at it) as desired. I just did sort of a loopty loop thing so that it looked like the rest of the stitching. (Is there a name for that stitch?) I added a second row to make it look like regular pockets, but feel free to do whatever you want with it.
And you're done!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012 04:27:26 PM by Tee-Bean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillrbassett
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012 01:53:37 AM »

Adorable!! I love that idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Message me if you're interested in buying custom costumes.

Sometimes I blog here: http://jillrbassett.wordpress.com/
mercedes
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012 01:22:43 PM »

Such a cute idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~Mercedes~~~~~~
They're like the Real World meets Boy Meets World meets Days of Our Lives.
CaribouOnTheSea

I could make that.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012 03:21:20 PM »

Looks sooo good!  I'll have to try this for sure Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I log my tales of sewing, crafting, thrifting, and traveling over at  www.rtthvintage.blogspot.com
jfer007
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012 05:32:34 PM »

These turned out so lovely! Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Tonya Reiman
Lt. Gen. Russel Honore Talks About Survival
Joanna Smith Rakoff Reveals Her Most Noticeable Trait
Catherine Hickland Talks About The 30-Day Heartbreak Cure
Jonathan Alter Reveals What Inspires Him Most
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...