A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
328 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jar Wedding Quilt  (Read 1029 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

froggirl02

I love frogs and crafting in no particular order.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2012 12:59:53 PM »

I finished a quilt this week that I have been working on for three years. One of my dearest friends got married three years ago but since it was a short engagement she knew that the wedding quilt I was planning to give her would take a while. Life happened but at long last I have finished the project. I made up the design to use different kinds of blocks and to use as many fabrics as possible that I thought she and her hubby would like. It is very scrappy and eclectic as a result. I'm just glad that it's only ~twin size rather than queen, if it had been any larger I don't know when I would have finished it.

All finished:

Closeup of some of the pieces. Note the homemade green binding.

Closeup of the quilted texture. I used an allover pattern in olive green. I did the quilting myself on my home machine using a darning foot, quilter gloves, and lots of grumbling when the thread snapped. All of the jars are zig-zagged down using glow-in-the-dark thread and I tied them in the center with glow-in-the-dark embroidery floss. Hopefully it adds an extra touch of magic.

I also made her a storage sack in which to keep the quilt.

So there it is. Comments and critiques appreciated, hope you enjoy it! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want to leave the world littered with beauty." ~Steve Martin, Picasso at the Lapin Agile

My blog! http://technicolorlilypond.wordpress.com/
My Zazzle! http://www.zazzle.com/technicolorlilypond
My CafePress Shop! http://www.cafepress.com/greenfrogfromthepond
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012 01:28:00 PM »

Very cute! I love how you incorporated the jars without it being a typical jars on a shelf type quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012 02:45:50 PM »

beautiful choice of colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananabanana
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012 03:34:26 PM »

I love the greens (green is my favourite) and now you have a wonderful anniversary gift for them !
The sack is a great idea.

Have you given it to them yet? Would love to hear how they reacted. Is it a surprise?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

froggirl02

I love frogs and crafting in no particular order.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012 08:08:55 PM »

Very cute! I love how you incorporated the jars without it being a typical jars on a shelf type quilt!

Thanks, MareMare! If you look carefully you can see very thin brown strips between the central column of jars. This was my interpretation of the shelf tradition but I like the non-tied down look of the jars in this quilt.

beautiful choice of colors.
Thanks, yoopidou! I'm glad you like it. Smiley I pretty much used swatches of every green print I had. Tongue

I love the greens (green is my favourite) and now you have a wonderful anniversary gift for them !
The sack is a great idea.

Have you given it to them yet? Would love to hear how they reacted. Is it a surprise?

I have given it to them. It wasn't exactly a surprise. Before I embark on a project of such magnitude I've learned that it is better to ask if the intended recipients would even like it, so after I asked them and they said yes they knew to expect a scrappy blue & green throw. Beyond that it was a surprise. They never saw the pattern and I think my friend only saw one or two of the completed blocks so what it looked like did turn out to be a surprise to them. They both really like it so I'm pleased. Smiley I read on a website about caring for Amish quilts that a cotton sack is the best way to store a quilt for long periods of time and since I think it is also the best way to gift wrap a quilt I always make one for my friends when I gift a quilt. Since blue and green were their wedding colors I thought that lizard fabric was just about perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want to leave the world littered with beauty." ~Steve Martin, Picasso at the Lapin Agile

My blog! http://technicolorlilypond.wordpress.com/
My Zazzle! http://www.zazzle.com/technicolorlilypond
My CafePress Shop! http://www.cafepress.com/greenfrogfromthepond
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
‘I Am 8-Bit’ Art Show Opening 2008
The Comics Run: Justice League Number 6
The Comics Run: New Green Arrow
The Comics Run: Saga Number 1
The Comics Run: Batman Night of the Owls
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...