A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
299 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to attach a deer skull to a wood plaque???  (Read 2497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mamacrikt
« on: July 14, 2012 03:32:00 PM »

So... I've been on Craftster for a long time, but haven't posted in a while. I was crazy busy with two kids, full-time work, full-time university, and moving (twice!).

This summer, though, I finally have some time to do all of the projects I've been dreaming of for years.
My main focus has been on my chicken coop. It is nearly in order, and I am trying to put on some little "fancy touches." One of these is to mount a deer skull onto a plaque that will hang over the front door of the coop.

This is what it will look like when finished:

And this is the chicken coop.

I need to repaint the white on the door, and around the windows, and will be adding glossy black designs along the bottom.

The problem I'm running into is that, now that I have the skull and plaque painted, how do I attach the skull without destroying it and while still making sure it can stay adhered through wind and rain?

Plaque by itself. It was painted with acrylic and sealed with polyurethane:

I painted the skull with the same outdoor latex paint that the stripes on the coop are from. Don't fret, she died of natural causes. We found her body lying in the woods a few years ago, so we took her and buried her with some lime. We went back recently and dug up the skeleton, bleached it and are using the bones for various projects.

Weird, I know- but we are a family that truly believes that nothing, I mean NOTHING, should go to waste and that there is art and beauty in everything. Hence the deer skull plaque.

Okay, so- Here is the back of the skull. You can see the holes that line up on either side, I thought about running a wire through there, but am a little worried about cracking it:

I thought about sticking it on with epoxy, or some other strong glue, but you can see in this picture how small the points of contact are. The tips of the teeth and two spiny knobs at the back of the head are it. I'm not convinced that is enough for it to hold.

Has anyone attached a skull to anything before? I use bones a lot in my art, but they are usually sturdier and/or have more contact surface than this one.

Ideas? Suggestions?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012 05:14:26 PM »

You want to do what is called a european mount. Google it and there are several websites with tutorials.

I envy you your chickens, but with 3 dogs, 2 pot belly pigs, 2 ferrets and a parrot I think I am at full capacity. My neighbor has over 40 chickens so shes like a pusher with the eggs. Always like hey girl i got some really primo eggs for ya hehe. I think chickens to be cute and they can't possibly poop anymore then dogs or pigs so I may someday get a few.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
mamacrikt
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012 04:54:44 AM »

Thanks for the tip! I've been boiling and whitening bones with this process for a long time, but never knew it was called "European mount." It took me a while to find a tute on how to actually attach it to the board, but I've got it now.

I have to go find an expanding drywall anchor now, and try to wash my brain of the hunting and taxidermy images I've just seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Arrange a Harajuku Hair Style
How to Blow Dry Colored Hair and Finish the Look
How to Apply Hair Color
How to Section the Hair to Prepare for Coloring
How to Color Grey Hair and Make it Shine
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...