A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 41
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery Hoopla R8 - The Wordy Round (Signups CLOSED, Sendout Sept 4th)  (Read 46772 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShannonMN
« Reply #310 on: August 14, 2012 04:02:28 PM »

Well, I spoke too soon. I was able to find some wooden hoops at Hobby Lobby. It is surprising tho that the other stores don't have them. I hope they're not dialing back production on them either.

So... I've never made a hoopla before. I've done plenty of embroidery and cross-stitching, but never used a hoop as a finished item before. Does anyone have suggestions on how to finish the back so it looks nice? I'd greatly appreciate it!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012 04:05:41 PM by ShannonMN » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let your passion lead you to take that leap of faith.
rubylynns
« Reply #311 on: August 14, 2012 04:22:25 PM »

I'm lucky, my in laws go thrifting all the time and my mother in law picks up all the wooden hoops she can find.  I have a stock pile, and just when its getting low she will show up with 5 or 6. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #312 on: August 14, 2012 06:30:30 PM »

Well, I spoke too soon. I was able to find some wooden hoops at Hobby Lobby. It is surprising tho that the other stores don't have them. I hope they're not dialing back production on them either.

So... I've never made a hoopla before. I've done plenty of embroidery and cross-stitching, but never used a hoop as a finished item before. Does anyone have suggestions on how to finish the back so it looks nice? I'd greatly appreciate it!

I've found wooden hoops at the dollar stores in my area and they are cheap there!

As for finishing, I like to hot glue a piece of felt to the back on my finished hoop.  I run a bead of glue around the back of the hoop, press it down on a piece of felt and after a few minutes of drying, I trim the excess away and it's all done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silentblair

Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 14, 2012 06:40:45 PM »

I was going to suggest the thrift stores too. I find so many there for cheap! I also like to pick up the metal ones there as well. Sometimes the metal is a fun switchup. At least for the finished hoop, I don't like to stitch on them.

In stitchy news:
Made some major headway on likls hoop and just need a few more tweaks before I do the back. My kids "ooo'd and ahhhh'd" over the fun little effect I'm currently stitching on it.
They are EASILY amused....
Mwa ha.
 Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pugwash

oh, hello there

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 14, 2012 09:06:52 PM »

I loooove metal hoops. Actually prefer them while working versus the wooden ones. I have a few from my grandma, but found a bunch in my local thrift shops for dirt cheap - like bundles of 12 for under a dollar cheap! Honestly, I find more at Goodwill and various thrifts than at craft stores. For some reason my local shops just don't stock up on the 7" and under hoops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deathbeforedishes
Embroidery Addict

She believed she could, so she did.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #315 on: August 15, 2012 06:24:56 AM »

Does anyone have suggestions on how to finish the back so it looks nice? I'd greatly appreciate it!

When I am done with my embroidery, I put it on top of a matching piece of fabric, cut them to the same size and put them in the hoop. It hides the back of my stitching. Then I trim the edges around the hoop to like 1/4" and use hot glue to tack it around the inside of the back of the hoop.

I get off work at 4p est and I'll try to remember to take a picture of one. Sometimes pictures explain things better than I can with words.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/leilaninaomi/

5/50 2014 Projects
53/50 2013 Projects (woohoo!!!)
I do personal swaps!
Cheesy
Averia

Floppsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: August 15, 2012 11:07:38 AM »

Here are my favorite 2 tutorials on finishing backs:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=359164.0

http://maximumrabbitdesigns.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-frame-your-embroidery-in-hoop.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fancybutch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #317 on: August 15, 2012 11:17:40 AM »

I used a piece of decorative paper, cut to size to fit on the back and glue stick it to the inside back.  This might not be the most secure answer but I like the cleaner tidier look of the paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reserve my right to be complex." Leslie Feinberg
Spidersweb
« Reply #318 on: August 15, 2012 11:33:26 AM »

I have been to every craft/sewing store in my area looking for wooden hoops over the span of a month and have barely been able to find any. I hope they aren't getting rid of them or dialing back production, I don't like the plastic hoops, and I wouldn't want to display the majority of my pieces in one, I always like the make the frame match, and they only have so many plastic colors...

I ended up investing in Sublime Stitches hoop set.  I thought it was a good value!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Spidersweb  (it's only a little filled out!)

In-Search-Of:
-> Stride "Sweet Cinnamon" If you have it in your area, will you PM me?  My mother loves it, and we can NEVER find it in our stores here.  Will negotiate for some!
Spidersweb
« Reply #319 on: August 15, 2012 11:35:50 AM »

Done! Put in a couple hours tonight and my hoop for celticgoddess is ready to ship out on Monday. Wahooo!

And to answer Rubylynn's question, my hoop has an image and words. I thought it'd look too plain otherwise. Besides, this particular hoop HAD to have an image to go with the words.

I just finished the satin stitches on the image for celticgoddess's hoop last night, and started on the outline for the words.  Just plugging along here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Spidersweb  (it's only a little filled out!)

In-Search-Of:
-> Stride "Sweet Cinnamon" If you have it in your area, will you PM me?  My mother loves it, and we can NEVER find it in our stores here.  Will negotiate for some!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 41 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...