A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,545
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to throw a bridal shower? crafty ideas?  (Read 7613 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mo11ydo11
« on: March 23, 2004 09:36:27 PM »

I've recently taken on the task of throwing a bridal shower...  I have never actually been to a shower, though, and have little experience in regards to weddings.  Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has been to one, has any ideas and/or advice to offer for the hostess, and of course - crafty ideas to make it absolutely wonderful.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006 07:32:07 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bevrockin

How y'all doin, everbuddy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004 07:10:55 AM »

Aren't you lucky???  I am a wedding fiend and always try to find ways I can impose my influence on anybody's special day.  Wink  Seriously, I have a couple of cool ideas you might like:

As far as food, keep it light & simple.  For a friend's shower, we used plastic cake tiers from my wedding & stacked them with cupcakes and a Smiley Face bride & groom cake topper.  Finger sandwiches, cocktail weenies, chips & dip/salsa, and pasta salads are always good & simple.

When you send out the invites, include a blank recipe card with instructions for each guest to write their favorite recipe on it and bring it to the shower.  Surprise the bride-to-be with an empty recipe box at the beginning of the gift-opening and she can fill the box with the recipes as she opens each gift.  You can decoupage a balsa wood recipe box from a craft store with all kinds of food pictures or whatever would coordinate with her new kitchen.

And games are essential.  Here are some:

http://www.imagebydesign.com/kathee/bridal/games.htm

Depending on your crowd, you might find some more risque games (or save those for the bachelorette party).  You could make some Bridal Bingo cards yourself, and the prize could be a craft you're particularly good at.

And finally, take a picture of the Guest of Honor with all her guests.  Have all the guests sign a wide picture mat as they come in and frame the picture in this when you get it developed;  you can put the mat on the gift table as they come in.  This is often used in lieu of a guest book at many weddings, but I think it would be cool at a shower, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amareluna
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004 07:37:47 AM »

At my bridal shower we did something similar to the recipes- only it was a pretty pastel colored index cards that they wrote three things on:

1. The worst thing that happened at their wedding and what could have been done to avoid it. (Purple cards)

2. The biggest fight they had gotten into since getting married and what could have been done to avoid it. (Blue Cards)

3. The funniest story they could think of that related to their wedding or marriage. (Yellow Cards)

They all went into a 'crafted' recipe card holder, and whenever I was in a foul mood I could grab a yellow card, when planning the wedding I would read through the purple cards (make sure I covered THOSE bases!) etc...

It was really cool to see all the fun things that people wrote and all the advice that came with it- and I didn't have to sit through the 3 hour lectures that usually accompany someone giving advice! It's also made an excellent keepsake.

Also *hehehehe* as for the wedding itself...

We had a friend make our cake, but we used Hans Solo and Princess Lea as the cake topper. It was a debate over Barbie and GI Joe (he thought Ken was icky) or the Star Wars clan...I'm no barbie..lol....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bevrockin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004 07:56:22 AM »

Aren't commercial cake toppers just gross?  The brides & grooms are almost always ugly.  I found some like these:

http://www.rosemarycompany.com/7024.html

Much cooler, I thought!  The Star Wars figures were a GREAT idea.  I think if one was good enough with the polymer clay, you could make & bake some cute cake toppers as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KOhlthemule
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004 08:15:59 AM »

also,  to make things a little interesting for your guests as they watch the betrothed open gifts,  have them play gift Bingo.  

Everyone gets a sheet with miscellaneous items,  such as:

Money
toaster
lingerie
sheets
towels
silverware
bread maker

whatever

and then as she opens each gift they can play their odds to win a nice candle or stationary set.

-kelly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where are my scissors!!!
Nuno930
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004 08:53:16 AM »

Now we are covering my kind of ground!

Games?  They are cheesy, but kind of a necessary evil... I mean shower that I go to that simply involve eat the cake and watch the bride open presents are kind of boring (to me) but I do that the traditional "unscramble these wedding related words"  One of my favorites is How well does she know him, game.  But you have to have access to the groom before hand for it.  You ask him a series of questions (think, The Newly Wed Game type questions) and for everyone she misses she must chew a piece of gum, for everyone she gets right the guest chew... like I said, cheesy but funny.  

If she is having several showers, I suggest a "Theme" shower.   (due to a dysfunctional family I ended up with 5 showers, yes 5) one was a couples shower = a big party.   That was fun.  BBQ & beers with presents.  Another was a "Honeymoon" shower.  People were instructed to bring items for our honeymoon -- I got everything from a great bottle of wine and the wine glasses I registered for to some handcuffs and whip cream.  

If the bride knows what she is using for centerpieces I would see if you can mock it (if you need decorations) some brides dont want you to though as everything on the wedding day is a surprise.  Others are grateful because it is a few less they need to make or buy.  

Food should, for the most part, be simple.  Finger foods are best so guests and mingle and not worry about forks & spoons.  Plus the obligatory cake and punch.  

I could go on  for pages and pages!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mo11ydo11
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004 10:26:03 AM »

I knew this was the right place to ask for suggestions!  Crafters are the best.  I love all of those ideas - and you guys have got me so excited!  Another question - is there a specific place it is customary to hold them?  A house? A restaruant?  A hotel? Tea room?  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bevrockin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004 10:51:56 AM »

It depends.  You have to take into account your budget, the number of people invited, and the general atmosphere of the event.  I have been to showers in people's homes, country clubs, and rooms rented in community centers.  You're obviously a crafty lady, so you could probably make the most of a place somebody else might not think about.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jodelicious
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004 12:54:50 PM »

I am throwing a bridal shower for an artsy/crafty girl and I don't want it to be typical--Anybody have any ideas? Huh
Anything would help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004 01:21:18 PM »

Maybe you could ask for a theme to the gifts, like household items that can be embellished and the supplies she'd need?  Like flour sack towels and stitching kits from sublime stitching or blank lampshades and paints?  Okay, now that I've typed it out, I can see that the choices might be too limited...

Maybe a knitting session/class in which everyone could learn to make her a dishcloth?  Everyone I know loves knitted dishcloths so much.

Or a decorating, how to, craft book theme to the gifts?

Guess I didn't have as many ideas about this as I thought I would, lol.  Good luck with the shower!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dog Haus’ Gourmet Hot Dog Recipe
‘Taste of Home’ Magazine’s Beefy Burrito Recipe
How to Make an Authentic New York Hot Dog
Chef Ashton Keefe Makes Variations of the Traditional Burger
Cheesy BBQ Sloppy Joes Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...