A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adapting patterns...?  (Read 701 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RubyGlitter
« on: July 22, 2012 03:16:10 PM »

Hi there,
I'm Amii, brand new to Crafster! *waves*

I've got a question: I saw this amazing dress http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2012/04/sweetheart-dress-tutorial.html and fell in love: with the heart shaped cut out, with the top, and with the button-closure at the back.
The only problem is, it's kid-size, not adult size! And I have no experience drafting and adapting patterns what-so-ever. Whatever patterns I have used have been very very basic. I have plans to make a top from adapting this pattern to fit my measurements, and attatching it to a simple circle skirt, and then adding a peter pan-style collar to it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
xo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarah_charade
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012 11:55:01 AM »

That's hard to explain. There are a few steps and considerations.

Since the pattern was drafted for a child, the bodice doesn't have darts for an adult's chest. Maybe that wouldn't matter if you did it in a stretch fabric like jersey or knit.

Here's what a basic bodice block would look like

Really depends on your drafting skills/adventurousness. I don't think I could explain how to create a block for yourself. You'd have to look it up on Google and see if you can find instructions or tutorials.

Try doing the bodice part of the dress in muslin first, to see how it works and fits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012 12:37:06 PM »

Start with a similar commercial pattern that fits you, then draw a heart on the back and cut it out.  Make a matching facing, just like for a neckline.  Try it in muslin (or any cheap fabric that is like the fabric you plan to use, woven or knit) and adjust to your satisfaction.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRShimer
Postcard From California

California Hiker, Plain Style, Arty-Romantic Sewer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012 02:41:34 PM »

I often alter commercial patterns for myself. It's helped me to learn to be patient. The payoff is really worth it.

For a heart cutout, I might try using half of an upside down bowl of the right size. I'd lay that bowl down on folded paper and trace until I got the heart bump just right, then I'd use a ruler to draw the heart point. I'd play around with that heart pattern for quite a while (I'd put a movie on t.v. or something funny on my iPod!) until I got the heart cutout just the way I wanted it. Then lay it out on the commercial pattern and think about it for awhile.

I'd probably trace the commercial pattern onto tissue - I use medical supply paper. Then I'd try out the placement of that heart.

Then I too would make a trial/test garment (a.k.a. muslin or toille). I'd probably do it in a light colored fabric that I could draw on with markers until I got everything just right.

What I've learned about this process is that I just can't overdo on the amount of time spent considering the pattern. And the more time I put in, the higher my success rate.

:-)

Laurel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This historically inspired time traveling, California Romantic, is enchanted by sewing
http://MeEncantaCoser.blogspot.com/
Sewing Podcast iTunes Store - Search for "Enchanted By Sewing"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creative Ways to Use Holiday Leftovers
How to Make a Casserole Out of Thanksgiving Leftovers
How To: Asian-Style Burger With Ponzu Slaw & Sriracha Ketchup
Homemade Texas Red Chili Recipe
Cranberry-Orange Relish Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...