A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: July 4th EZ-EL Wire Hat  (Read 592 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EZELWire
« on: July 06, 2012 09:23:55 AM »

This past fourth of July I decided to make a fedora hat decked out with EZ-EL Wire! I used the colors red, white, and blue of course, and twisted and turned the colors together to form some patterns. Check it out! Smiley

Step-By-Step Tutorial if you're interested!

Materials:

1. Hat
2. 10' Red EL Wire
3. 10' Blue EL Wire
4. 10' White EL Wire
5. Needle
6. Black Sewing Thread
7. 3v Inverter
8. 3-way splitter cable
9. Scissor
10. 1-3 Zip Tie

Step 1: Cut hole

Using a scissor, cut a 3/4 in. hole at the top corner of the hat. Mimic what is being done in the picture or poke a hole where ever you want to start off your design. Poking this hole will help conceal the start of the wire and allow the output wires to be concealed inside the hat.

Step 2: String the Wire through the Hole

String EZ-EL wire through the hole you have just made in Step 1.

Step 3: Zip Tie

Zip tie the red, white, and blue EL wire together.

Step 4: Pull!

Once the wire is through the hole, pull the EL wire all the way through unti the very end. Make sure to conceal the non-Plastic part inside of the hat.

Step 5: Start Stitching

You can do any pattern you choose to. Place the wire anywhere you want to start your design. I chose to start the process at the top of the hat. Poke the needle from inside the hat and poke it through to the outside and continue two more times. the string should end up back inside the the hat where you tie it off with the starting end.

Step 6: Collect Wire & Twist

Wrap the collected wires together on the edge and sew it at the curving point.

Put the EL wires together. Sew the beginning in to the side of the hat first, then start twisting. Once you are satisfied with the length of the twist pattern go ahead and sew the end point of the twist pattern to the hat. ( I twisted the wire until the i used up all the wire.) Then twist tie the end point to prevent it from unraveling. Using the twisted pattern wrap the wire around the hat or line it up to create your own design.

Step 7: Poke Hole and End Point

Poke a hole at the brim of the hat or anywhere your design ends. Then string the excess wire through the hole. This helps conceal the wire and allows it to rest on the side of the hat.

Snip off any excess wire with a wire cutter and you've got yourself a custom made hat! Feel free to change out the colors and the design to make it your own!

And now you've got a decked out hat that glows in the dark!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012 10:47:37 AM by EZELWire » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you're interested in EZ-EL Wire designs, I have way more project ideas over at www.ez-el.com/videos or www.ez-el.com/tutorials! Enter coupon code EZELCraft and receive a discount at checkout!
HiCecilia
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012 11:05:50 AM »

Cool idea. Especially with the Olympics coming up, it's very easy to represent with this kind of concept. Smiley I liked how you actually wove the wires together to form more depth to the coloring! I would recommend using clear thread instead of black so it's more invisible though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Big, Bouncy Hair
How to Get Sparkly Braids
Alexa Chung Shares Hair Tips
How-to Create a Fishtail Braid
How to Get Perfect Waves For Prom
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...