A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My wonderful other half just ordered a Cricut Expression 2 (he thinks) and ummmm  (Read 676 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jider
« on: July 10, 2012 10:27:09 PM »

So my fiance just ordered me a Cricut for my birthday. He believes it is the Expression 2. I really want to make my own designs, I am crafty and in school to become a teacher so I have a lot of reasons I want to make my own designs. I also want to use pre-designed templates some of the time. I was also wanting a machine that will cut a variety of materials (ie. vinyl, card-stock, paper, magnetic sheets, cork sheets and other materials or as many as possible) perforating, embossing and drawing would be neat to have but are not necessary. Will this machine be the best fit for me or should I crush him and tell him another machine would be better. I was looking at the Silhouette and other machines for about the same price as the Cricut but I cannot tell which one would fit my wants/needs best. Is there anyone who can help me know what machines do what and how they compare?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012 03:13:25 AM »

No, you can not design your own images with the Cricut E2. The E2 is a standalone cartridge machine. The Cricut is popular with educators but you will have to buy designs through Cricut Craft Room or buy the cartridges.

Silhouette Cameo- Is not going to cut out all the materials you want. It's cutting pressure is around 330gsm. To cut heavier materials you will need around 500 gsm.

BossKut Gazelle or Pazzles is the one you should look into. It comes with Funtime software. The Funtime Software does perforating, embossing & drawing. The Gazelle has a special blade holder that will fit in pen or marker you want to use for drawing. You can even use Copics. Both machines you can cut templates and your own designs.

Sizzix Eclips is another good machine. You will need to find a bundle package you can use Ecal with. Ecal is the program that Sizzix uses to cut out your own fonts and designs. Eclips is also a cartridge based machine but you can use your own creations with Ecal. The Eclips with Ecal does not perforate. You can find tutorials teaching you how to add perforating lines to your designs. Ecal is the Sizzix version of the other cutting design software on the market SCAL.

Klik-n-Kut Zing is also another nice machine. It comes with MTC. MTC does not perforate but you can find tutorials teaching you how to add those lines. I use MTC with my Bosskut Gazelle. MTC and SCAL are the two major programs that work with most cutters. Pazzles & Gazelle use Funtime for their cutting software. It's a full featured design and cutting software I highly recommend. You can also use MTC and SCAL too with both these cutters.

All the above machines will cut your choice materials easily.

Cameo will cut many of the materials you have listed but not all of them. Silhouette software is free to download and use. They do have a Pro version that imports SVG's & Rhinestones. The free version is full featured. The Cameo also works with MTC & SCAL.

The only material you will not be able to cut is cork material. Yes, the Gazelle, Pazzles, & Zing can cut cork in theory. It does harm the machine in the long run. You can cut thin balsa wood with these three machines.

If you need to cut cork you will want a Big Shot or Cuttlebug which is an non-electronic die cutter. You won't be able to use your designs. These machines take steel rule dies. These machines will cut through the materials that the Gazelle, Pazzles and Zing can not handle.

If you do a search for my screen name I have lots of reviews on the cutters. This is the newest updated list.

I own the Bosskut Gazelle, Silhouette Cameo, Cricut Create & the Cricut Imagine. I have been die cutting and studying the machines for many years. I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012 03:18:23 AM by lylacfey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
FIRST LOOK: Carolina Herrera - NYFW Spring 2014
FIRST LOOK: Christian Siriano - NYFW Spring 2014
Website Redefining Shopping For Conscientious Consumers
British Invasion
Objects of Desire: S&M-Inspired Accessories
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...