A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,028
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Put a Bird On It! Swap - Send out Friday July 27th  (Read 18918 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thisbirdsabsurd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012 06:17:39 PM »

WOW!  What a package - you outdid yourself onyx!!  Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

camelama
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012 06:34:43 PM »

Oh, I love that hoop! What a great hoopla for your wall! And that bookmark is lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving!" - Auntie Mame

How are things in Glocca Morra?
Gr33nT3a
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012 01:50:57 AM »

Wow! I am in love with that bookmark. Was it hard to make?

I was actually thinking of trying to make something out of metal for another swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Běifāng yǒu jiārn, jush r dl. Y g qīng rn chng, zi g qīng rn gu. Nng b zhī qīng chng yǔ qīng gu. Jiārn nn zi d.
北方有佳人,绝世而独立。一顾倾人城,再顾倾人国。宁不知倾城与倾国。佳人难再得。
nessnbel
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012 05:13:30 AM »

WOW! what wonderful packages. Cheesy

I especially love those peacock feather coasters. Just gorgeous!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012 06:33:44 AM »

Love the crocheted birds!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012 07:56:36 AM »

Thank you, everyone.  I had a lot of fun with this swap.  

Shannon, I was so happy to hear you liked the package.  I was nervous, because it came together so fast - far far far faster than I expected, that it actually made me wonder if it was enough.  Maybe it was just because I was so inspired by this swap - who knows?  Coupled also with the fact that I think I totally ignored my chores...

Gr33nT3a - it was not hard.  It is 24 gauge copper sheeting that I cut with metal shears.  I blunt cut the corners and used a Dremel to sand them down to round them, and to smooth the burrs from the edges.  This can be hand sanded too, but it was just faster with the Dremel.  After that, I added a patina with a chemical agent - but you could skip this if you like the shiny metal.  Or you can add colour or patina through other means, like a wax paste, or paint.  Or just exposing it to the elements.  After that, I embossed it using a bird embossing folder I had, using a die cutting machine, like a Cuttlebug, or Sizzix Big Shot (I caved and bought both over the past year).  Using dies/folders specifically for metal, such as the Sizzix Vintaj line will give you a more defined image.  But you could use regular folders too, though it is a great deal of wear and tear on the folder and I advise using thin metals for that.  After that, I lightly sanded to relief the birds more, and then to preserve the finish, added two light coatings of Renaissance Wax, and buffed between coatings.  It preserves and adds a lovely sheen.  Then I drilled a little hole for the tassel and used embroidery floss to make the tassel.

Another option is to etch the metal too, which I considered doing as well, but caustic chemicals make me nervous and I chose this route first.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012 08:09:01 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
camelama
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012 04:50:37 PM »

Ok folks, get ready for a photo-heavy post, because I got an INCREDIBLE package from Thisbirdsabsurd!!!!

First we start off with the lovely card and the first crafted item: a crow cuff!  She riffed off an item on my wist/pin.

Aren't those crows silly?! I think the middle one is my favorite. Smiley I love how the thread for the buttons makes the eyes stand out!

Next we have the item that my cat Phoebe was playing with in the little video I posted yesterday ...

A little catnip cardinal! Pheebs loves it, I have to hide it in the toy drawer or she would rampage all day with it. It is going to be a favorite, I can just tell... that beak is kind of stiff, and the feather (from one of her own birds!) is deeeelicious Pheebs says, so it's a great sensory toy.

Then we have that which blew me away when I opened it up. Seriously. I sat there gaping at it, couldn't say a word!!!! I give you: a water color shadowbox of 6 of my favorite birds.

Isn't that gorgeous?! Here are some close-ups...

All 6

Northern Flicker! I hear one doing territory calls right now as I type...

The Killdeer at the shore nearby have their babies runnin' around like puffballs on stilts!

Blue Jay and Crow - we only have one baby crow on the street this year instead of 9 like last year!

I mean ... I'm floored. Utterly blown away. They're gorgeous, and they're so PERFECT. And so me! So just perfect. I'm going to take them to work so I get to look at them 5 days a week!!!! No windows in my office (I'm not complaining, it's an office not a cubicle!) so I am hanging colorful nature stuff on the walls to brighten it up!

So, as if THAT wasn't enough ... well, settle in, children. I have a little story to tell you, using the last item(s) in my package....

One day, a little owl - just about as wide as a dime - sat in the forest feeling lonely.

He was sooooo lonely, not a friend in the world. Poor little tiny owl!  He hooted and hooted in loneliness until one day - he heard someone else hooting!  And sure enough, along came two other owls who were lonely too.

The three of them had so much fun hooting together, they found the last lonely owl in the forest, who came to join in...

What a fun time they had, hooting and twoo-woo-ing and even screeching a time or two.

Then a little voice squeaked "I'm lonely too! I can hoot! Hoot toot hooty woot!" and the owls were shocked to see who was hooting so strangely at them.

After many a discussion about mouse kebabs and mouse dumpling soup, it was decided one skinny white mouse wasn't worth the eating, so they let her join the club - with some coaching on those hoots.

THE END.

Speechless! Simply speechless. She saw I'd favorite'd some tiny cats over on Etsy and made owls in the same way! Stunning details, all the owls fit on a dime and the mouse is even itsy bitsier! The Snowy Owl made me go Eeeee but I love them all!!! My camera can't focus well enough on them to get mega-close-up photos, so Absurd if you have some please share!

I'm just so privileged to be your partner, Thisbirdsabsurd!!  Thank you so much - the package is *FANSTASTIC* and I can't stop emailing my friends with more and more photos. Wink   

THANK YOU! <3 THANK YOU! <3 THANK YOU! <3 THANK YOU! <3 THANK YOU! <3 THANK YOU! <3

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving!" - Auntie Mame

How are things in Glocca Morra?
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012 05:35:04 PM »

Oh camelama!  I'm so glad you (and the kitty) enjoyed the package!  LOL!  You are too funny - loved the story, and glad the mousey got a stay of execution.  Wink  I had fun with all of it - great swap!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012 08:26:47 AM »

I LOVE that shadowbox!!  such great goodies...the mousy not being a meal! LOL!  I don't know if I would turn my back though, that's A LOT of predators looking over your shoulder. Smiley

The crows are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012 09:16:42 AM »

I love the whole package!  The story is too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Looks to Heat Up Your Super Bowl
Top 5 Ways to Fix Static Cling
Sarah Jessica Parker Shows Off Her New Shoe Line for Nordstrom
Angel Sanchez Spring 2014 New York Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews
Which Country Has the Best Olympic Uniforms This Year?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...