A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Size 22 dress resized.  (Read 2196 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigergirl
« on: July 09, 2012 04:51:37 PM »

I snagged this dress from my mother's wardrobe - it wasn't her style but it was mine! Only problem? just a bit too big.

I thought a quick zip up the sides with the overlocker and another quick zip to secure the front neckline would do the job but it turned out to be slightly more challenging.

I did at least realise that the shirring should be secured before I used the overlocker so that when the overlocker cut the elastic thread it didn't all shrink back and not get caught in the seam.

After some confusion, I realised that those squares on the skirt weren't centred at the back of the dress - bummer. There was also something strange going on under the arms that meant lots of finessing rather than just zipping up with the overlocker before it looked decent.You can see that the hem doesn't follow the border of the squares either - I at least partially fixed that in the final version (I had to compromise between uneven print and uneven hem - I went halfway, the border looks better and the hem isn't noticeably crooked).

Anyway, here's the finished product which although is fine enough for day-to-day, seems to have a major static cling problem - you can see it around the hem where it's sticking to my legs. I wore it as a jumper with a black turtleneck one day but I wasn't sure about that look. Oddly, although it seems as though this was an empire line, the shirred waist is now somewhere between that and above my natural waist which feels a bit odd. I also thought it would be shorter the whole time I was making it - must have been an optical illusion when it was wider.

There are a few rows of shirring just under the bodice. It's actually bigger than you can see here but I needed one hand for the camera. As you can see, it was a bit on the big side and a lot on the "why don't you check out my cleavage and bra" side (I've actually got it pinned closed in this pic).

Another pic here -> http://tigergirladventures.blogspot.com/2012/07/size-22-dress-refashion-and-paisley.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012 05:05:21 PM by tigergirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012 06:52:37 PM »

What a pretty dress - it looks great on you!  I can't see any of the funny hems / uneven pattern.
Now I want one!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigergirl
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012 06:58:43 PM »

thanks! The back of the skirt is where the print is off centre - I forgot to take a pic. If you look closely, you can see the bottom of the skirt is clinging to my legs - the static in this dress could probably power our washing machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012 08:54:22 AM »

The print is fabulous...glad you "saved" it...a rub with a dryer cloth will take care of the cling...

It reminds me so much of the bohemian dresses from the late 60's, early 70's...but made modern!   Love how you saved the panels in front--panels fabric is a bit hard to work with, so keeping the front the focus was a good idea...

The re-made dress looks great...and you have some shared history with your mom! Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012 08:54:47 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
tigergirl
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012 05:15:13 PM »

It is a very boho print but it is actually a modern dress bought in the last few years.

Over the years I've worn a few of Mum's old clothes but unfortunately she wasn't quite as busty as I am when she was younger, so as I've got older I've grown out of her old clothes. I'm still trying to decide what to do with her wedding dress, remake, resell, let out and resize ....? If only she could have thought ahead a few decades and known the size I'd need ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012 04:50:45 PM »

You did a great job with the sleeves. This dress is well adjusted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigergirl
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012 04:26:54 AM »

thanks - the sleeves were a bit finicky
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Duct Tape Passport Lanyard
How to Make Duct Tape Earrings
How to Make a Duct Tape Woven Belt
How to Make a Duct Tape Travel Shower Caddy
How to Make a Duct Tape Sunglass Case
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...