A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Antlered Cat & Serenity Shirts!  (Read 2643 times)
Tags for this thread: antlers , cat , serenity  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012 07:48:41 PM »

These shirts are amazing!! Have you had any problems with fabric paint?  I have a friend who was trying to find something to put on a shirt and she was hesitant about fabric paint I think because she said it cracks? Have you noticed any of your designs cracking or fading?

Thanks!  Ya know, I haven't had any problems with cracking.  It might be the way I apply my paint.  I just went and riffled through my husbands shirts to find the one that i thought would eventually do it, and even after many many washings, its still holding up beautifully.  I think if you make sure to not over apply the fabric pain, then you should be fine.  I apply my fabric paint with a triangle cosmetic sponge for small areas and a few coats, or for bigger areas a sea sponge or circular sponge depending on how uniform I want the paint.  Or, if the design suits, she could try discharge paste.  Its like bleach, but more controllable and you apply it with a stencil brush and just lightly dab it on.  Then you iron the paste and it lifts the color out of the shirt in the spot where you put on the paste.  It makes for a vintagy looking shirt, it doesn't get stiff like fabric paint can do, and you don't have to worry about cracking.  I've done freezer paper stencils and discharge paste with a lot of success.  Discharge paste works great on simple designs, like words.  Hope that helps!  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
jillrbassett
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012 10:45:10 PM »

These shirts are amazing!! Have you had any problems with fabric paint?  I have a friend who was trying to find something to put on a shirt and she was hesitant about fabric paint I think because she said it cracks? Have you noticed any of your designs cracking or fading?

Thanks!  Ya know, I haven't had any problems with cracking.  It might be the way I apply my paint.  I just went and riffled through my husbands shirts to find the one that i thought would eventually do it, and even after many many washings, its still holding up beautifully.  I think if you make sure to not over apply the fabric pain, then you should be fine.  I apply my fabric paint with a triangle cosmetic sponge for small areas and a few coats, or for bigger areas a sea sponge or circular sponge depending on how uniform I want the paint.  Or, if the design suits, she could try discharge paste.  Its like bleach, but more controllable and you apply it with a stencil brush and just lightly dab it on.  Then you iron the paste and it lifts the color out of the shirt in the spot where you put on the paste.  It makes for a vintagy looking shirt, it doesn't get stiff like fabric paint can do, and you don't have to worry about cracking.  I've done freezer paper stencils and discharge paste with a lot of success.  Discharge paste works great on simple designs, like words.  Hope that helps!  ^_^

That was actually very helpful!! I've never heard of discharge paste before but i'll have to look into it and give it a try. I actually made a plain blue dress a while back and bought a bleach pen to make nautical designs on my dress I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Message me if you're interested in buying custom costumes.

Sometimes I blog here: http://jillrbassett.wordpress.com/
nom_de_plume
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013 07:33:41 AM »

I adore the antlered cat. Reminds me of the infamous jackalope!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wimzikel
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013 08:04:08 AM »

I love the Serenity Shirt! I definitly need to make one for my husband.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Roz Savage Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Meet Supermodel Daisy Fuentes
The Lost Kings Book Trailer
Leslie Dunton-Downer Talks About The English is Coming
Mark Alpert Talks About Final Theory
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...