A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scoopneck shirt to colour block shirt *now with a link to the tute*  (Read 43294 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cookiepockets
« on: July 08, 2012 02:00:56 PM »

It's been a while since I posted, mostly because I have had it with my sewing machine, and ended  up getting a new one.  Now I am in love, and want to sew as much as I can!

*updated- I posted the tutorial on my blog http://seweffingbored.blogspot.com/2012/07/ruchey-goodness-tutorial.html

I was inspired by this shirt from Rickis http://www.rickis.com/by-category/sale/colour-block-top/prod5101HT169YS5649RM.html.  Since I don't live in Canada at the moment, I figured I would do it myself.

I started with a navy blue shirt (sorry no before picture of the blue shirt, but I have it in black, so this is what it looked like.

I cut the front in half, found a scrap piece of grey fabric and used that.

I want to make this shirt again, next time I am going to make some changes, I am going to add more length to the middle piece of fabric to get more of a ruched look.  I am also going to  cut less fabric from the middle, or not use a light colour because I feel like it draws the eyes a little too wide.
thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012 07:49:04 PM by Cookiepockets » THIS ROCKS   Logged
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012 03:29:55 PM »

Ooh, cute!  I might have to try this one. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyOctober
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012 03:34:07 PM »

I think the overall effect is very slimming regardless of the color, so I dunno what you're talking about when you say it draws the eye too wide. It looks great! Was it very difficult to do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Yup, definitely not hipster enough for Craftster.
Cookiepockets
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012 05:40:51 PM »

It was actually quite easy!  I will put up a picture tutorial when I have a free moment, but I can describe it as best I can here.

I unstitched the neckband of the shirt (to reuse later).  Then I folded the shirt so the front was folded in half, I measure how much I wanted to take out of the front (this time was about 4inches on the fold line, 8 inches in total).  I used the cut fabric as a guidline, and placed it on the fold of the grey fabric.  I measure 5 inches (4in, plus 1 inch for seam allowance).  From the bottom of the original material I measured 9 extra inches onto the grey fabric (so I could gather the shirt).  I gathered the grey material by hand, and then attached it to the blue shirt.  Once everything was sewn back together I put the neckband back on.

The great part about this shirt was you don't have to take much apart if you don't want to.  Removing the neckband just gave me something else to add back on to the shirt, but you can make your own neckband or just leave it out altogether.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kneser
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012 09:26:03 PM »

It looks cute!  I can't wait to try it myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

special_occasion
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012 01:52:24 PM »

I really like this, you did a great job  Smiley I think the same style would look really nice as a dress!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
AICUL
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012 06:43:18 PM »

The technique of the ruched panel is really clever. It could probably work in a lot of things. I think you've inspired me to clean out my t-shirt pile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cookiepockets
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012 12:38:28 PM »

I really like this, you did a great job  Smiley I think the same style would look really nice as a dress!

If you make a dress I would love to see it!

The technique of the ruched panel is really clever. It could probably work in a lot of things. I think you've inspired me to clean out my t-shirt pile.

It's a great recon for old t-shirts and/or scrap fabric if you have enough.  Plus because colour blocking if such a trend right now you can kill 2 birds with one stone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sandal43
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012 01:46:23 PM »

Love your shirt!  Thank you so much for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsjennifer
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012 04:14:36 AM »

This is awesome!  My belt buckle tends to eat the middle front of a lot of my shirts, so I'm going to fix them up by doing this!  I have one in mind already that I simply LOVE, but the hole in the front is now big enough to fit a fist through (thanks to some children who think it's funny to further destroy Mommy's ripped shirts).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Be Stylish at Work
Get This Street Style Meets High Fashion Look
The Zoe Report: What To Wear To A Music Festival
The Zoe Report: Get Inspired by These 4 Major Fashion Week Looks
What to Wear to Coachella 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...