A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New carnival inspired designs *pic heavy*  (Read 3224 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beautifulpirate
« on: July 07, 2012 02:41:10 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^Teaser image^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok, I have an entire slew of ideas (slew= approximately 9 more) but I couldn't wait to make the entire collection before posting this entry. I will post another entry whenever I get some more of it done.

I love carnivals and fairs and the circus. My daughter is almost 9 months old and I was thinking for her birthday, I would do a circus/carnival theme. I ended up beginning to brainstorm all of these fascinating things that I could do for her party- a carousel horse with a striped background for a photo op, a cotton candy machine where the kids can make their own cotton candy, my dad volunteered to bring small animals from the farm, etc. And while that birthday party will be a post of it's own, it got me thinking about making carnival miniatures. And of course, I make nearly all of my miniatures into jewelry... so be prepared. I love them so much! Let me know what you think. I am a comment slut. I like to bask in their awesome commenty-ness (I made that word up on the spot and am quite proud of it).

So firstly, I made a popcorn necklace and I LOVE IT! It was hard to get a good shot of all the tiny little details. If you could see it in person, you might honestly be amazed. I hate to sound like I am bragging but I intricately detailed every individual piece of popcorn and then added a bit of drizzled melted butter for realism and quality control.
This is the first attempt

And the second one which is much better

So then I wanted to make cotton candy. I must warn you, what you are about to see may hurt your eyes because of it's awfulness (that's correct, it is awful).

This was my first attempt at cotton candy and while at first, I liked the outcome. As I looked over it more, I realized how blindly oblivious I was to the fact that it was horrid! It looked like someone had licked the cotton candy and it crystallized and became all crusty. I can just imagine the circus vendors "Cotton candy! Cotton candy! Get your pre-licked cotton candy here!"

So, I decided to try again with a different technique. Typically speaking, I only have to experiment a couple times to get the proper technique for whatever texture I want. But I couldn't get it with the cotton candy via clay. So I made the base out of clay and the sweet candy part out of cotton.

I made earrings because I love earrings with a passion but then I realized the earrings needed matching necklaces.

And of course, I went photo shoot happy on these as I do all of my creations. I hope you enjoy these! I love comments and critiques! Now I need to go to the store and get some cotton candy since the fair isn't in town for another 3 months! (I just ate a big bowl of popcorn to satisfy that craving) lol
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012 05:31:20 PM by beautifulpirate » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Buy my stuff!!!:
http://www.kawaiibuddies.com

Follow me on facebook for exclusive discounts and giveaways:
https://www.facebook.com/KawaiiBuddies

Check out my makeup page on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/visageFX

Capt'n Candy (the beautiful pirate)
wicked__
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012 03:03:25 PM »

Cute idea! I absolutely love the popcorn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aisy
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012 03:32:36 PM »

Adorable! I'm in love with the cotton candy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

julianapegas
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012 06:00:35 PM »

The popcorn looks perfect, you have every right to brag! XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DeviantartPoupe GirlLast.fmRavelry
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012 08:59:15 PM »

Your first attempt at cotton candy actually looks like a snow-cone to me.  Except I'm not sure if they come in that color....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012 01:16:57 AM »

love the popcorn necklace Grin charmingly realistic work
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wendiek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012 05:43:08 AM »

How adorable! Love the popcorn and the cotton candy! (we call that translated - sugar spun, I like cotton candy better)

How brave of you to share your first attempt of the cotton candy. It really doesn't look that terrible, it just doesn't look like cotton candy  Wink

Great work! You made me long for Carnival around here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012 10:02:59 AM »

My favorite is the popcorn one!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quirks
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012 05:19:16 PM »

Great stuff!!!  Regarding your first cotton candy, I also was thinking sno-cone but I really, really like your pre-licked cotton candy better Grin (I can here the hawkers now).  The popcorn is just fab!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beautifulpirate
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012 06:51:47 PM »

Thanks so much guys! I love hearing your feedback!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Buy my stuff!!!:
http://www.kawaiibuddies.com

Follow me on facebook for exclusive discounts and giveaways:
https://www.facebook.com/KawaiiBuddies

Check out my makeup page on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/visageFX

Capt'n Candy (the beautiful pirate)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Louisiana BBQ Shrimp Part 1
How to Cook Louisiana BBQ Shrimp Part 2
How to Cook Louisiana BBQ Shrimp Part 3
Atomic Buffalo Turds Recipe
How to Buy a Grill and Grilled Branzino Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...