A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,236
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for re-doing a wooden coffee table??  (Read 2184 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EireannV
« on: July 29, 2012 04:01:42 PM »

Hi everyone!!

This is my first post. I just found this great wooden table at Goodwill for $20. I love the look of it, and want to re-do it somehow. I'd like it to have a sort of beachy, rustic look. I have brown couches, a gray tv stand and shelf... and I'd like it to stand out. Any ideas on what I can do with this? I know the possibilities are endless.. Smiley

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012 07:29:12 PM by photojenn - Reason: Fixed images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012 01:37:51 AM »

Were it in my house, I'd paint the base a nice funky colour: maybe the yellow of your candle? And then use the outer edge of the top to paint/decopage a cool design like a border.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
EireannV
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012 07:53:21 AM »

Fabulous idea! I didn't even think of that Smiley Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuzyScissor
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012 11:29:06 PM »

Sanding it down and giving it a whitewash finish would give it a beachy worn wood vibe, but probably not make it stand out like you want.  A quick google search for "surfboards" might give you ideas for a funky design to paint on the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jetmcalver
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012 11:14:42 AM »

I would go for a decoupage type thing to really make it stand out from the rest of the room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AhuraFarouk
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012 11:12:06 PM »

First of all, its a big "WOW".. that one is actually fabulous.. I've got this but bigger one and painted in dark maroon using spray..   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012 05:44:24 PM »

I would sand it down, and be tempted to transfer a design onto it and burn it on, and perhaps apply some subtle colour to areas, depending on the design you burnt on.  Maybe add a favourite quote or saying to the border, restain it, and varnish to preserve.  I think I would also add another shelf to the centre space for more storage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
selenavaz
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012 01:53:25 AM »

I like the idea of painting it a bright color like yellow or orange. That would actually make it stand out the way you want it. I think a bright paint is what will give it the desired look that you are aiming for. Its a nice coffee table that you have and is a great buy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janesi87
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012 06:13:07 PM »

I paint it with bright colour such as white, pink and i put a mirror, my jewelry then it will be a dressing table
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012 07:32:07 PM »

I just saw something pretty fabulous in an old Craft magazine - she had a section in her floor that was disgusting and did  faux mosaic that looked awesome.  She marked off the section, painted a background colour to simulate the grout that would show through in a real mosaic.  Then she took craft cardboard and used a paper cutter to cut out small squares in the colours she wanted.  She transferred her design on the painted section, and used glue to glue the paper pieces down; decoupaging them down.  After the glue fully dried, she framed the mosaic section with moulding/or quarter round.  Then mixing a resin varnish (she used Envirotex lite), she sealed the piece.  She did an 80 square foot section of flooring, and it did look awesome.  Then you could paint the rest of the table a nice bright colour and have a piece of horizontal art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a True Family Tree Board
How to Make a Superhero Cape
How to Make Sponge Balls for Kids
How to Make Toy Boats with Wooden Blocks
How to Make Daffodil Decorations
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner
Monsters, Monsters Everywhere

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...