A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,654
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Prayer Flag Swap, send out Aug 3 2012  (Read 30614 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2012 05:45:18 AM »

Is anyone putting things on that weigh the flag down? The Tibetan prayer flags are so thin and light-weight that any light breeze sends them fluttering, and I think that might be part of the point. Every little element added to the flags is going to make them heavier. Are things like buttons, beads, or even quilting too weighty/bulky for the purpose of prayer flags? Discuss.
(Yes, ultimately it's going to be a personal decision, but I'd like to hear opinions about it.)

Oh yes, I'm going heavy with embellishments;  my flags won't be flapping in the wind, that's for sure!

I thought I should say a word about mailing the prayer flags. A DC# is required if you are mailing within the US, so if your flag is thin and light enough to fit in an envelope, you should probably add something (like a crumpled ball of paper) to make it bulky enough to be considered a "package" by the post office.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012 01:10:17 PM by Leslieshappyheart » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2012 03:27:08 PM »

Your question about "flapping in the wind" is a timely one, Calluna, as I realized yesterday one of my flags is going to be very un-flappy. I hadn't intended it that way, but on the other hand I didn't give it any thought when I was coming up with my brilliantly strange idea. I'll try for fluttery on the other one and see where that gets me. Cheesy

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2012 03:39:30 PM »

Is anyone putting things on that weigh the flag down? The Tibetan prayer flags are so thin and light-weight that any light breeze sends them fluttering, and I think that might be part of the point. Every little element added to the flags is going to make them heavier. Are things like buttons, beads, or even quilting too weighty/bulky for the purpose of prayer flags? Discuss.
(Yes, ultimately it's going to be a personal decision, but I'd like to hear opinions about it.)

I'm making one flag that will probably be heavy, and one that will probably be much lighter- I didn't really think about the flutter element.  To me, the thought and good wishes that are being put into the creation of the flag is more important than anything.  I'm very much just going with what "feels" right to make for each of my partners.  The wind will be able to reach it no matter what anyway, it just might not have much effect.  Wink  (By the way calluna- yours is the one that will probably be lighter, lol!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waggonswest

« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2012 04:04:08 PM »

EEEEP.  You guys are stressing me.  I thought I had this whole thing figured out...  make a flappy ephemeral flag to waft wishes on the wind.  Now I'm reading all these comments about heft and weight and I am thinking that I haven't got the hang of it after all.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
Smmarrt

« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2012 04:18:14 PM »

I think mine will be on the heavier side as I planned to paint the fabric or stencil or tie-dye and I am planning to add lots of embellishments also. So mine will not be fluttery.

Also, I think both my partners are hanging their flags inside - as am I - so nonfluttery works!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012 04:19:04 PM by Smmarrt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap ROUND 3
Altered Puzzle Pieces - again!
Ninni Swap in August
Fall Dotee Swap in September
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2012 04:35:20 PM »

EEEEP.  You guys are stressing me.  I thought I had this whole thing figured out...  make a flappy ephemeral flag to waft wishes on the wind.  Now I'm reading all these comments about heft and weight and I am thinking that I haven't got the hang of it after all.  

ROFL...I'm sorry, but I have to laugh.  I was thinking about this too after I posted, like I'm waaaaay overdoing this thing, and I should be doing something wispier, airier.  Not so many layers and embellishments and frivolity (yeah right, like I'll ever stop being frivolous).  I really do believe though that what it comes down to in the end is making something meaningful with love in your heart (wow, I'm sappy).  Whether it floats on the breeze or solidly weathers a hurricane, the feeling you put into it is what really matters.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2012 04:38:55 PM »

I really do believe though that what it comes down to in the end is making something meaningful with love in your heart (wow, I'm sappy).  Whether it floats on the breeze or solidly weathers a hurricane, the feeling you put into it is what really matters.

exactly! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
taloola

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2012 08:16:21 PM »

word sista!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silentblair

Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2012 08:35:54 PM »

I too tend to over-think things but for some reason I'm letting all that go out the window and going with my gut!

I took my 95% done first flag to knit nite tonight and boy did I get some awesome feedback!
It's kind of hitting a soft spot for me as most of the fabric is from my little boy's outgrown clothes.
EXTRA GOOD VIBES in this flag!

I can't wait to start flag #2 hopefully on Wed. That new technique may turn into a whole crafter noon with the kids doing their own little flags.
We'll see how ambitious I get...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2012 05:31:22 AM »

I'm realising now that I have way too many ideas for these. It's a good job my partners and I have similar tastes because I can see me being able to string up a mile of these by the time I'm done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Pom-Poms
How to Arrange Flowers Like a Pro
How to Make a Beatbox Puppet
How to Make Silly Putty
How to Make a Rainstick
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...