A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
828 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Prayer Flag Swap, send out Aug 3 2012  (Read 30065 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2012 03:00:42 PM »

oooooo - I like both of them, Smmarrt!   Cheesy

I've been pondering the prayer flags this afternoon too - I don't have time to test one out right now, but maybe later - before signups are closed.  I like your style too.   Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
Cinnamoon

From the ashes a fire shall be woken.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2012 03:10:23 PM »

I am very much in! Like many people have said, I'm going to need a bit of time to think about the questionnaire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2012 03:15:37 PM »

I just completed my Prayer Flag Swap Questionnaire and sent it in - Thanks, Leslie and Susan - this is a GREAT idea for a swap - I'm excited to see what everyone comes up with - especially what I will create - can't wait to see what my partner prefers!  I have some "notions" in my head of what a prayer flag might need to have!   Smiley

I am going to keep the prayer flag I receive inside - while I understand the prayers are released, I believe prayers have the power to seep out the doors and windows of my house to heaven above!  And I like the reminder of the flag visible for me.

Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012 03:25:19 PM »

Just cut out some blanks in preparation. 

I have a question from the instructions.  It says to make a 3 inch sleeve leaving a 5 x 8 inch surface for the actual flag.  If I fold down 3 inches, I only have a 5 x 5 inch surface.  On the other hand, if I fold down 1.5 inches I have a 1.5 inch sleeve and still have a full 5 x 8 inch surface to embellish.   The second plan makes more sense to me but I will follow the rules if it is really supposed to be the other way around.  Please advise.  Thanks. 

Smmarrt... love them both.  With the backing it will be a sturdy prayer! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
susanab

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2012 04:02:29 PM »

Just cut out some blanks in preparation.  

I have a question from the instructions.  It says to make a 3 inch sleeve leaving a 5 x 8 inch surface for the actual flag.  If I fold down 3 inches, I only have a 5 x 5 inch surface.  On the other hand, if I fold down 1.5 inches I have a 1.5 inch sleeve and still have a full 5 x 8 inch surface to embellish.   The second plan makes more sense to me but I will follow the rules if it is really supposed to be the other way around.  Please advise.  Thanks.  

Smmarrt... love them both.  With the backing it will be a sturdy prayer!  
if you start with a 5 x 11  (facing tall/vertical) and fold it down 3" on the top, you would get the 5 x 8. I think that's it waggonswest...does that make sense?

Smmarrt--those are wonderful! Thanks muchly for sharing! It's Specially nice to see some that are Craftsterfriend created!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012 04:11:41 PM by susanab » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.co m
waterbaby

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2012 04:41:02 PM »

I have a question from the instructions.  It says to make a 3 inch sleeve leaving a 5 x 8 inch surface for the actual flag.  If I fold down 3 inches, I only have a 5 x 5 inch surface.  On the other hand, if I fold down 1.5 inches I have a 1.5 inch sleeve and still have a full 5 x 8 inch surface to embellish.

Without a visual can't tell how you're doing it, waggons, but measuring down three inches on the 11 inch side and folding there, you should be left with 8 inches [11 - 3 = 8]:

The shaded pocket area in the second image shows 3 inches; this will be narrower if you hem the folded over end, but the 8 inch length will remain the same.

And typing this reminds me that if you're going to hem the raw sides and want to have a 5 x 8 finished flag, you'll need to start with a piece of fabric larger than 5 x 11, adding your hem depth on all sides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waggonswest

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2012 04:48:30 PM »

EEEP.  I was typing this while susanab Waterbaby was posting her diagram.  I think you can see from it what I am talking about below with the seam and the hanger...

if you start with a 5 x 11  (facing tall/vertical) and fold it down 3" on the top, you would get the 5 x 8. I think that's it waggonswest...does that make sense?

[/quote]

Yes, that is correct, but then you have a seam 3 inches down from the top of your 5 x 8 inch surface.  You will have to account for the seam and the extra fabric behind (an issue if you are using paint) in your design.  If you use a dowel rod or something with any thickness, that 'lump' or 'bulge' will distort your decorated surface.

If however, you fold 1.5 inches down and place your seam there, you have a free and clear 5 x 8 inch surface on a flag that will actually measure 5 x 9.5 inches long.  

It doesn't really matter to me, I just want to be clear about what I am doing, because half of the instructions seemed said to do it one way and the description implied the other...

Sheesh.... I am such a trouble-maker on these swaps.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012 04:50:04 PM by waggonswest » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
susanab

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2012 04:59:41 PM »

no no don't be sorry at all one smidgen--heck, i want to be clear about what i'm doing. i was doing it mentally--obviously not a good idea Wink
i need to see what you and Waterbaby have written and see if i get what I thought i got!

waterbaby--how do you make those crisp drawings?? is that like illustrator or something that you scan? i love that!

Later: got it...that works Smiley

EEEP.  I was typing this while susanab Waterbaby was posting her diagram.  I think you can see from it what I am talking about below with the seam and the hanger...

Yes, that is correct, but then you have a seam 3 inches down from the top of your 5 x 8 inch surface.  You will have to account for the seam and the extra fabric behind (an issue if you are using paint) in your design.  If you use a dowel rod or something with any thickness, that 'lump' or 'bulge' will distort your decorated surface.

If however, you fold 1.5 inches down and place your seam there, you have a free and clear 5 x 8 inch surface on a flag that will actually measure 5 x 9.5 inches long.  

It doesn't really matter to me, I just want to be clear about what I am doing, because half of the instructions seemed said to do it one way and the description implied the other...

Sheesh.... I am such a trouble-maker on these swaps.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012 05:34:15 PM by susanab » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.co m
Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2012 05:04:59 PM »

Great flags, Smmarrt!  There's always a learning curve with new things, so I expect each one to be a little different.  I'm planning to make mine very simply, with raw edges all over the place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
Tanza
Angel in the making....

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2012 05:52:38 PM »

This is a great excuse to break out my embroidery machine again.
 Poor baby has sat neglected for months.
maybe because I have so much stuff sitting in front of it that has to go.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Alisa Malek Talks About A Country Called Amreeka
Barbara Smith Talks About B. Smith Cooks Southern Style
The Christmas Sweater Book Trailer
Halloween Costume Stories
Lisa Jones Talks About Broken
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...