A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Prayer Flag Swap, send out Aug 3 2012  (Read 30552 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2012 03:00:42 PM »

oooooo - I like both of them, Smmarrt!   Cheesy

I've been pondering the prayer flags this afternoon too - I don't have time to test one out right now, but maybe later - before signups are closed.  I like your style too.   Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
Cinnamoon

From the ashes a fire shall be woken.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2012 03:10:23 PM »

I am very much in! Like many people have said, I'm going to need a bit of time to think about the questionnaire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2012 03:15:37 PM »

I just completed my Prayer Flag Swap Questionnaire and sent it in - Thanks, Leslie and Susan - this is a GREAT idea for a swap - I'm excited to see what everyone comes up with - especially what I will create - can't wait to see what my partner prefers!  I have some "notions" in my head of what a prayer flag might need to have!   Smiley

I am going to keep the prayer flag I receive inside - while I understand the prayers are released, I believe prayers have the power to seep out the doors and windows of my house to heaven above!  And I like the reminder of the flag visible for me.

Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012 03:25:19 PM »

Just cut out some blanks in preparation. 

I have a question from the instructions.  It says to make a 3 inch sleeve leaving a 5 x 8 inch surface for the actual flag.  If I fold down 3 inches, I only have a 5 x 5 inch surface.  On the other hand, if I fold down 1.5 inches I have a 1.5 inch sleeve and still have a full 5 x 8 inch surface to embellish.   The second plan makes more sense to me but I will follow the rules if it is really supposed to be the other way around.  Please advise.  Thanks. 

Smmarrt... love them both.  With the backing it will be a sturdy prayer! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
susanab
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2012 04:02:29 PM »

Just cut out some blanks in preparation.  

I have a question from the instructions.  It says to make a 3 inch sleeve leaving a 5 x 8 inch surface for the actual flag.  If I fold down 3 inches, I only have a 5 x 5 inch surface.  On the other hand, if I fold down 1.5 inches I have a 1.5 inch sleeve and still have a full 5 x 8 inch surface to embellish.   The second plan makes more sense to me but I will follow the rules if it is really supposed to be the other way around.  Please advise.  Thanks.  

Smmarrt... love them both.  With the backing it will be a sturdy prayer!  
if you start with a 5 x 11  (facing tall/vertical) and fold it down 3" on the top, you would get the 5 x 8. I think that's it waggonswest...does that make sense?

Smmarrt--those are wonderful! Thanks muchly for sharing! It's Specially nice to see some that are Craftsterfriend created!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012 04:11:41 PM by susanab » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.co m
waterbaby

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2012 04:41:02 PM »

I have a question from the instructions.  It says to make a 3 inch sleeve leaving a 5 x 8 inch surface for the actual flag.  If I fold down 3 inches, I only have a 5 x 5 inch surface.  On the other hand, if I fold down 1.5 inches I have a 1.5 inch sleeve and still have a full 5 x 8 inch surface to embellish.

Without a visual can't tell how you're doing it, waggons, but measuring down three inches on the 11 inch side and folding there, you should be left with 8 inches [11 - 3 = 8]:

The shaded pocket area in the second image shows 3 inches; this will be narrower if you hem the folded over end, but the 8 inch length will remain the same.

And typing this reminds me that if you're going to hem the raw sides and want to have a 5 x 8 finished flag, you'll need to start with a piece of fabric larger than 5 x 11, adding your hem depth on all sides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waggonswest

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2012 04:48:30 PM »

EEEP.  I was typing this while susanab Waterbaby was posting her diagram.  I think you can see from it what I am talking about below with the seam and the hanger...

if you start with a 5 x 11  (facing tall/vertical) and fold it down 3" on the top, you would get the 5 x 8. I think that's it waggonswest...does that make sense?

[/quote]

Yes, that is correct, but then you have a seam 3 inches down from the top of your 5 x 8 inch surface.  You will have to account for the seam and the extra fabric behind (an issue if you are using paint) in your design.  If you use a dowel rod or something with any thickness, that 'lump' or 'bulge' will distort your decorated surface.

If however, you fold 1.5 inches down and place your seam there, you have a free and clear 5 x 8 inch surface on a flag that will actually measure 5 x 9.5 inches long.  

It doesn't really matter to me, I just want to be clear about what I am doing, because half of the instructions seemed said to do it one way and the description implied the other...

Sheesh.... I am such a trouble-maker on these swaps.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012 04:50:04 PM by waggonswest » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
susanab
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2012 04:59:41 PM »

no no don't be sorry at all one smidgen--heck, i want to be clear about what i'm doing. i was doing it mentally--obviously not a good idea Wink
i need to see what you and Waterbaby have written and see if i get what I thought i got!

waterbaby--how do you make those crisp drawings?? is that like illustrator or something that you scan? i love that!

Later: got it...that works Smiley

EEEP.  I was typing this while susanab Waterbaby was posting her diagram.  I think you can see from it what I am talking about below with the seam and the hanger...

Yes, that is correct, but then you have a seam 3 inches down from the top of your 5 x 8 inch surface.  You will have to account for the seam and the extra fabric behind (an issue if you are using paint) in your design.  If you use a dowel rod or something with any thickness, that 'lump' or 'bulge' will distort your decorated surface.

If however, you fold 1.5 inches down and place your seam there, you have a free and clear 5 x 8 inch surface on a flag that will actually measure 5 x 9.5 inches long.  

It doesn't really matter to me, I just want to be clear about what I am doing, because half of the instructions seemed said to do it one way and the description implied the other...

Sheesh.... I am such a trouble-maker on these swaps.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012 05:34:15 PM by susanab » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.co m
Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2012 05:04:59 PM »

Great flags, Smmarrt!  There's always a learning curve with new things, so I expect each one to be a little different.  I'm planning to make mine very simply, with raw edges all over the place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
Tanza
Angel in the making....

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2012 05:52:38 PM »

This is a great excuse to break out my embroidery machine again.
 Poor baby has sat neglected for months.
maybe because I have so much stuff sitting in front of it that has to go.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Plait Classic Pigtails
How to Shampoo Your Hair
How to Style Punk Hair
How to Style Emo Hair
How to Treat Dandruff
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...