A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,383
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fullmoon's Adventures with Laundry Detergent!  (Read 4680 times)
Tags for this thread: laundry_soap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012 10:44:21 PM »

I bet it's just the mechanical action of the powder that doesn't dissolve as an exfoliant on the clothing. Like putting sand into the machine with the clothes.  We stopped using powdered detergent a really long time ago because we wash all our laundry in clean clothing, and powder really needs hot water to dissolve (and even then it's iffy, imo)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012 10:57:39 PM »

I guess I'm doing the right thing by not using powdered detergent then!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/lunaestrelladesign/
Deviantart: http://melonpan-alichan.deviantart.com/

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012 11:24:50 PM »

Some people love it, so I guess it's personal preference and has to do with water temp and probably individual washing machine too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmissmayhemx
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012 07:24:46 AM »

I'm going to chime in here. I use homemade powdered laundry soap in my HE front loader. I've been doing it for over a year with NO issues whatsoever. I even wash my clothes on cold! I also use homemade fabric softener. My machine is actually less stinky than it was with commercial soap.  And I make huge batches and only use 2 tbsp at a time. More if I'm washing towels. I use a scale and weigh my ingredients out. I use a 1:1:1 ratio. So, like 4 oz of borax, 4 oz of super washing soda (which is heavier than borax), then 4oz of soap. I was using ivory but have switched to fels naphtha. I love making my own home cleaning products!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr photos!
Stars and Sparrows
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012 09:15:28 AM »

So there ya go! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SHELIAANN1969
Crazy 4 Crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012 07:49:24 PM »

Even when I make my liquid laundry detergent I notice that some of the Borax gets as hard as a rock and won't dissolve. I made a batch 2 nights ago and ended up scooping quite a few rocks and pebbles of hardened Borax out of the bottom of my 5 gallon bucket. It was very hard and I couldn't break it down at all. It will dissolve in *very* hot water but I usually just use hot tap water for stirring the Borax and Oxyclean (I use  the non brand instead of washing soda) together.

I made one batch of the dry but to me, I had to use a lot more than a couple of tablespoons and it didn't go very far, I ended up using it on dirty towels and never making any more. I prefer the liquid, one ladle full and no muss, no fuss. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starfish1211
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012 07:50:37 PM »

I make the liquid (borax, washing soda, fels-naptha). Been doing it for 2 years (in may) and it always gets a little chunky. Pretty sure that is normal. Even the Duggers (where I seen the recipe) and a few other blogs said the same thing. I love using the soap and it is HE. The only thing that I have noticed is my whites get dingy. So I have to use stuff every now and then to help. I would love to use homemade fabric softener though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012 02:38:48 AM »

FullMoon- I am so happy to see you posting again. I missed your posts. Smiley

I use the same recipe as you do. I love it so much. I do buy commercial detergent for my blankets. I use a generic Woolite on my quilts. I am finicky about my linens because they are pricey and fragile. The rest of my laundry I love my homemade detergent.

Grandma's are set in their ways. My Mom is around your Grandma's age and she is set in her ways too and just downright crabby. I just rebel. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
Bad Kitty
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012 05:05:26 AM »

I wanted to add we use white vinegar in our laundry as well. No static cling in winter and super soft clothes. I cannot use ANY detergent. Fels is like hell on earth for me. I've been using borax/laundry soap with and without added homemade soap for about 9+ years consistently. I also wear a ton of black and there is like NO fading when you don't use harsh chemicals on your clothes. One may argue washing soda and borax are harsh but my skin and body do not recognize them as such. As a person who's allergy med comes in quarts and she drinks two a month I am so happy with this combo! An added bonus bugs hate borax. Being an apartment dweller we get bad neighbors and then bugs. Never in our clothes or on our beds because of the borax as confirmed by an exterminator.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selenavaz
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013 03:23:38 AM »

Sometime last year I saw someone had posted a post about making their own laundry detergent, and in late May, early June, I went to Hermiston for a couple days and watched my aunt make some laundry detergent, which rekindled my fire for wanting to try it.... Unfortunately my grandmother, who I live with, said no because she doesn't want me doing much in the way of soaps or making my own anything past chainmaille/knitting/sewing. (And I quote "Alison, if you want a bar of soap, go buy it for a dollar at the store!! There is NOTHING wrong with it. Besides you have too much soap anyways, you don't need to make any. Besides, I don't want lye anywhere near here!") However, I briefly dated this amazing guy who shared my love of wanting to make everything.... He made me 5 tubes of super amazing chapstick in exchange for me sewing some buttons back onto his shirts, and then I decided to make laundry soap to give him cuz he'd been wanting to try some, and y'know, Gran can't stop me if I make it for him in the middle of the night and y'know.... End up with way too much and /have/ to keep some myself Wink Bwa hahahahaha.....

For the powdered detergent, I shredded 1/3 bar of soap (in this case Fels-Naptha, but you can use any castile soap or homemade soap!) and I used either 1/2 cup or 1 full cup each of Borax 20 Mule Team and Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (I believe it was 1/2 cup each because I was making a very small batch). The soap was finely shred, I used a cheese grater from the dollar store for it. Cheesy I mixed it together into the jar, and closed the lid on it and shook it up to mix it after mixing it around with my hands. It was further mixed after this picture.

For the liquid detergent, I used 1/3 bar of soap, I think 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of washing soda, plus I believe I boiled 4-6 cups of water and mixed the ingredients to make basically a soap soup until it literally looked kinda like a soup.... (see picture below lol)

Then, I tried to add it to like 1.75 gallons of water at least because I didnt quite have enough to do as much as i wanted (I wished I had a bucket, but I could only hide small things, not a full bucket, yknow?) but I divided it up between a laundry jug and two glass containers and one small laundry jug. I spooned the mixture because pouring it wasn't going well, after I filled the containers with the amount of water I wanted in each, and with the lid on each, gave them some good shakes. I let them sit for 24 hours, but really, mine sat for more than 24. >_> They sat for a couple weeks.....

Here's a picture of all the mixtures together after I'd finished the batch. Smiley The small green laundry jug and the container of powdered liquid went to my ex and I kept the rest. I think my grandma found my stash of laundry detergent, seeing as she seems to have thrown out my peppermint shampoo-y stuff my ex made me, and she also jacked my box of Borax and washing soda, but at least I know where they are.... I actually /finally/ had a chance to try said laundry detergent recently, because I did my laundry in the middle of the night. If I plan on doing my laundry she like purposely does it while I'm at work or school, and I'm like "Augh, I just wanna wash my own clothes and try my soaaaaaaap" @_@  For the record, when it settles, it goops up into this liquid awkwardness (but that may just be my batch being slightly shorted on water) so after giving it a good shake and then pouring it into the little cup, i squished it a bit before pouring it into my washer and squished up the goopy glops in my container a bit too. It worked AMAZINGLY well, definitely comparable to Tide and all of those other ones! (And came out much cheaper than me buying bottles of Seventh Generation cuz I like that better than whatever my grandmother uses that I might be slowly developing an allergy to...) It took out blood stains even! And my legs didn't get all itchy and/or break out from the clothes being washed in it (unlike whatever my grandmother uses on my clothes when Im not home. I think it's Tide) So I'm really pleased. Smiley Next time I'll use a little more water though and see if it goops a bit less.

I am still surprised that you alone put up so much of efforts and made it successful, keep up the great work. Me too planning try out my hands in preparing this DIY detergent.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013 12:37:51 PM by MareMare - Reason: please remove image tags when quoting pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Ways to Instantly Look Slimmer
Will Jared Leto Top His Man Bun at the Grammys?
DIY: No Sew Halter Top with Michael Costello
How to Dress Like Beyonce
Andre Leon Talley Upgrades Zappos to Couture
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...