A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fullmoon's Adventures with Laundry Detergent!  (Read 4728 times)
Tags for this thread: laundry_soap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 06, 2012 12:13:15 AM »

Sometime last year I saw someone had posted a post about making their own laundry detergent, and in late May, early June, I went to Hermiston for a couple days and watched my aunt make some laundry detergent, which rekindled my fire for wanting to try it.... Unfortunately my grandmother, who I live with, said no because she doesn't want me doing much in the way of soaps or making my own anything past chainmaille/knitting/sewing. (And I quote "Alison, if you want a bar of soap, go buy it for a dollar at the store!! There is NOTHING wrong with it. Besides you have too much soap anyways, you don't need to make any. Besides, I don't want lye anywhere near here!") However, I briefly dated this amazing guy who shared my love of wanting to make everything.... He made me 5 tubes of super amazing chapstick in exchange for me sewing some buttons back onto his shirts, and then I decided to make laundry soap to give him cuz he'd been wanting to try some, and y'know, Gran can't stop me if I make it for him in the middle of the night and y'know.... End up with way too much and /have/ to keep some myself Wink Bwa hahahahaha.....

For the powdered detergent, I shredded 1/3 bar of soap (in this case Fels-Naptha, but you can use any castile soap or homemade soap!) and I used either 1/2 cup or 1 full cup each of Borax 20 Mule Team and Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (I believe it was 1/2 cup each because I was making a very small batch). The soap was finely shred, I used a cheese grater from the dollar store for it. Cheesy I mixed it together into the jar, and closed the lid on it and shook it up to mix it after mixing it around with my hands. It was further mixed after this picture.

For the liquid detergent, I used 1/3 bar of soap, I think 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of washing soda, plus I believe I boiled 4-6 cups of water and mixed the ingredients to make basically a soap soup until it literally looked kinda like a soup.... (see picture below lol)

Then, I tried to add it to like 1.75 gallons of water at least because I didnt quite have enough to do as much as i wanted (I wished I had a bucket, but I could only hide small things, not a full bucket, yknow?) but I divided it up between a laundry jug and two glass containers and one small laundry jug. I spooned the mixture because pouring it wasn't going well, after I filled the containers with the amount of water I wanted in each, and with the lid on each, gave them some good shakes. I let them sit for 24 hours, but really, mine sat for more than 24. >_> They sat for a couple weeks.....

Here's a picture of all the mixtures together after I'd finished the batch. Smiley The small green laundry jug and the container of powdered liquid went to my ex and I kept the rest. I think my grandma found my stash of laundry detergent, seeing as she seems to have thrown out my peppermint shampoo-y stuff my ex made me, and she also jacked my box of Borax and washing soda, but at least I know where they are.... I actually /finally/ had a chance to try said laundry detergent recently, because I did my laundry in the middle of the night. If I plan on doing my laundry she like purposely does it while I'm at work or school, and I'm like "Augh, I just wanna wash my own clothes and try my soaaaaaaap" @_@  For the record, when it settles, it goops up into this liquid awkwardness (but that may just be my batch being slightly shorted on water) so after giving it a good shake and then pouring it into the little cup, i squished it a bit before pouring it into my washer and squished up the goopy glops in my container a bit too. It worked AMAZINGLY well, definitely comparable to Tide and all of those other ones! (And came out much cheaper than me buying bottles of Seventh Generation cuz I like that better than whatever my grandmother uses that I might be slowly developing an allergy to...) It took out blood stains even! And my legs didn't get all itchy and/or break out from the clothes being washed in it (unlike whatever my grandmother uses on my clothes when Im not home. I think it's Tide) So I'm really pleased. Smiley Next time I'll use a little more water though and see if it goops a bit less.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/lunaestrelladesign/
Deviantart: http://melonpan-alichan.deviantart.com/

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
gizzybird
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012 06:45:40 AM »

I've been thinking of trying homemade laundry soap too. I was worried it wouldn't clean as well as store-bought but now I may just have to try it! Thanks for posting how you did it.

And is your grandma crazy? You want to make your own soap and do your own laundry and she won't let you? She has a problem with you saving her money and doing work for her, seriously?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neckville
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012 06:45:53 AM »

I have been making the powdered version of laundry detergent for a few months now and LOVE it.  I do a full bar of castile soap (finely shredded on a cheese grater like you) and a cup each of Borax and Washing Soda.  I cannot believe the difference.  My clothes FEEL cleaner, as if there is no residue on them.  We were getting unscented/undied versions of laundry detergent for my son who has sensitive skin. Now we just wash with the powdered delightfulness.  He doesn't have red irritated skin anymore. I had to make it myself and show my mother how it worked before she bought into the idea.  She's in her 70's and, well kind of stuck in her ways.  I never thought I'd get her away from her beloved Tide.  She converted though.  Once I pointed out that the price of laundry detergent went from about $11.00 a month to $3.00 a month - she was sold!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012 06:54:49 AM »

For laundry soap she automatically said I couldnt do it cuz it wasn't HE compatible. Then I told her Borax *is* HE compatible.... Then she added that mine wouldn't work as well as anything store bought and I argued that it would be just as good, if not better, and she said "Maybe, BR then again, maybe not, and I doubt it's actually HE." I'm not sure if my front loader can use powdered detergent and Gran says it'll get stuck in the machine if I use powdered, but I don't know if that's true or not, so I'm only using liquid, but hey, whatever works! I'd rather buy a box of Borax and a box of washing soda and either buy some Fels-Naptha/Zote/Castile soap or use some of the soap I have on hand than keep shelling out a lot for detergent, especially to ensure we end up with Seventh Generation which she will dislike and look forward to it being gone. But I know Tide is pretty expensive-ish too... She can use her soap and I can use mine, and everything should be just fine, I think, but this will be a never ending battle probably.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012 07:08:09 AM »

I have to weigh in on this. Wink  I've never tried the homemade version of the laundry soap, only the Tide that you two have mentioned.  I am lucky in that my body does not have allergies or sensitivities to anything.  BUT...when I worked at a laundromat and used Tide, and when DH does the laundry and uses Tide, we ALL (the entire family) end up having skin issues.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vixen72
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012 11:33:32 AM »

I've been making mine for a year now. Haven't done the liquid, just the powder. We noticed the longer you use it the softer your clothes feel. I love my laundry soap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012 11:36:01 AM »

Looks like it turned out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012 09:10:31 PM »

It turned out quite nicely I think ^_^ I love it <3

Now I want to try and make something like OxyClean haha.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kythcat
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012 05:15:55 PM »

Sorry to chime in on this with negative comments, but I'm hoping I'm not the only one.  I tried to make my own laundry soap (powdered), and while I loved how it cleaned the clothes, I noticed after a while most of the clothes were coming out with holes in them.  I ended up switching to a homemade liquid laundry soap recipe I found on the net, and the holes stop showing up Shocked .  I did go back to the powder, even went as far as liquidfying it, and we started getting the holes again.  Then I tried to use the powder to clean the washer, and notice that the soap wasn't disolving.  And for my recipes I was using Ivory with washing soda and borax.

Is this something anyone else have noticed?  For now I will stick to the liquid recipe I found (if you want it, go to Youtube and look up Edenia Farms. She has two recipes there that I love, one for laundry soap and another for dish soap).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012 10:34:25 PM »

Maybe its the ratio of washing soda and Borax?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Managing Assets and Working with Layer Groups
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating Mock-up Navigation Buttons
Extreme Website Makeover - Preparing a Web Page Mock-up in Photoshop
Extreme Website Makeover - Website Layout Using Photoshop®
Extreme Website Makeover - Using Live Paint to Fill an Area with Color
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...