A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby's Space - Pic Heavy  (Read 1164 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2012 10:29:00 AM »

So, me and my husband are slowly fixing up/remodeling the two bedroom singlewide mobile home we currently live in.  We have two little girls and last year we decided to have another child (you know, cause two kids in a home less than 1000 square feet was just too easy lol).  

Anyway, we ended up having a little boy, and we decided not to put him in the girls' room because we didn't want to take away any or their space for the baby and cause anymore sibling hostility than necessary.  Plus, we hope to get in a bigger home before too much longer, so we decided to put him in the only other room with the space, the living room.  I was determined that it would not be tacky though.  No overly baby-ish stuff.  

The living room connects with the kitchen and I have been using a black, white, blue, and red color scheme.  Also, I'm going for a retro feel in the kitchen and classic/contemporary in the living room.  It's still a work in progress, but I knew that the baby's things would have to fit these guidelines.  I found the perfect mini-crib online, but it's not easy to find baby stuff that's not baby-ish, and finding it to fit my color scheme AND fit a mini-crib, impossible.  So I made everything myself.  I decided to use retro robots as my inspiration once I found out I was having a boy.

Here's the crib.  I made the sheets from larger thrifted sheets and the bumper pads from some great fabric I got on Etsy.  It was designed by the seller and was the only fabric I could find to work.  You can also see the vintage suitcase where I keep his clothes.  He's 5 months now and so far it's still big enough!

Here's a close-up of the fabric I got off Etsy.  I used it for the inside of the bumper pad and the diaper stacker.

And the diaper stacker.

This shelf was already in the room.  We use it for holding cd's, dvd's, etc.  We cleared the top and the top two shelves for the babies things.

And my favorite, the mobile!

I made all the patterns for the mobile and hand sewed them all.  It took much more time than I had expected, but it was worth it to see my son smiling at it.  He loves it! Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012 10:30:14 AM by swtater123 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012 01:51:37 PM »

You did a fantastic job. I love what you've done and how it all comes together plus giving the little guy his own space. I brought up 3 kids in a 63 sq. meter house so can really appreciate your hard work and the great outcome. Love the bed and that mobile is adorable. Great job!! and congratulations on the "little" addition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012 05:15:28 PM »

Thanks so much Jinjeet!  It can definitely be a challenge at times being in a small place, but I enjoy it too.  Plus, it's less to keep clean! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012 09:48:52 PM »

lol! Absolutely. Scaled down beds, cupboards for storage and simply not buying so much stuff. I must add though that we had a lot of outside things.lol. More space out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012 01:47:53 PM »

I must add though that we had a lot of outside things.lol. More space out there.

Yes, outside is good!

Thanks Selenavaz!  The robot is my fave too.  I'm considering making a bigger one for my son to play with.  It was easy to make; all squares and rectangles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Duck for President Book Trailer
Erin Rooney Doland Talks About Unclutter Your Life in One Week
Naomi Wolf Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
An Interview with Phil Daniels
Rick Warren Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...