A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plying on a Drop Spindle Question  (Read 1309 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 05, 2012 08:11:40 PM »

So I'm plying on a drop spindle for the very first time (I should emphasize that I only spin on drop spindles, I do not have a wheel at all) and I'm getting to a certain point where the spindle is very heavy and difficult to get going. I'm probably a little less than halfway through and I really don't want to break the yarn and wind off even though that seems to be the only solution to me. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any other ideas before I broke the yarn. Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
The Naked Quilt
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012 08:34:04 PM »

There is a way to spin and ply all at the same time; it's a Navaho plying method, so when you are done with your fiber you have a finished yarn (except for setting your twist).  You can find it on YouTube.  This would have been done at the start of your project, what I would recommend at this point is to spin a second (or more depending on how many plies you want) single and ply them together.

There is also a number of spinning podcasts you could join and post there as well, one of my favorite is The Knitmore Girls, you might also want to join the social network of Ravelry at www.ravelry.com

So much fun to be had  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RebelTrendsetter

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012 08:39:46 PM »

I'm not entirely sure if navajo plying on a drop spindle really makes any difference because i looks to me like the plied yarn is still wrapped around the drop spindle. My problem is that the spindle is basically full. I might not be understanding something though. I am on ravelry, I've been searching the spinning groups but haven't asked anywhere else yet.

EDIT: Ok I think I found what you're talking about on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iFZdGL_8wU seems like a rather complicated technique but I see how it would make the most complete unbroken plied yarn on a drop spindle. ALTHOUGH that means I'm still pretty much stuck with my current project :/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012 08:45:26 PM by DesignVigilante » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012 12:55:44 PM »

Unfortunately (so far as I know) you have to break your yarn and then splice it back together after you've got both bits plied.  In the future, you may want to invest in a larger drop spindle, something with a bit more weight and longer shaft, but not to much more, you want your yarn to hold up to the weight, including the yarn you add.   Also think about getting one with the weight distributed towards the outside of the whorl.  It makes the spindle spin for longer.  And a longer shaft will hold more.   And just a theory, not an actual "I know this to be truth" idea,  Have you tried redistributing your yarn on the spindle, making a football shapped cop (cob? - I've only ever heard the term, and not seen it written) instead of a cone shaped one?  Perhaps putting the weight lower down would make the spindle spin longer.  Again, just a theory.
Also, remember there is nothing wrong with a broken skien, or a knot in it.  If you've worked much with even the high end yarns, you'll notice you will get a knot in them occasionally. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RebelTrendsetter

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012 01:03:05 PM »

Thanks Belladune! You're totally right, there's nothing wrong with a broken skein. I think I just spent so much time on this yarn and actually it's for a personal swap so I wanted it to be PERFECT but I suppose even the best yarns are not 100% perfect (after all it's made by hand, not by a machine).

I do have a heavier weight spindle, but when i compared the length of the shafts it didn't seem quite as long as the one i started out with. I own about 6 spindles in different sizes and length, but I wasn't sure which one would be *best* to ply with. I'm thinking of investing in a russian style supported spindle and I'm wondering if that would be something easier to ply with.

I did learn how to navajo ply-on-the-fly last night! I think it's what TNQ was trying to explain to me, where you spin a length of yarn, then immediately ply it on itself, wind it back on the spindle, then spin another length of single and repeat. It is really neat! Although I have yet to figure out how I'd splice the yarns together if i have to wind off before I'm done with this 2 ounce batt.

Is it just me or does it seem way harder to be a spindle spinner than a wheel spinner? LOL Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012 04:15:25 PM »

LOL  I know many die hard spindle spinners.  and they don't know why one would choose to spin on a wheel Smiley   I like my wheel, but then again, i have huge chunks of time, not just little ones.  I can see if you only have the odd 10 minutes here and 30 minutes there that it would be more convinient to spindle spin. 
That Navojo ply on the fly looks really interesting, and such a wonderful way to get a yarn done.  I might even pick up a spindle to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Anne Canadeo Talks About While My Pretty One Knits
Indigo King Book Trailer
The Secret to Teen Power Book Trailer
Davy Rothbart Reveals His Best Quality
Meet Author Ted Bell
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...