A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me better understand intarsia knitting?  (Read 699 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

omgitsalisa
« on: July 05, 2012 08:09:24 PM »

I'm a pretty new knitter and already I want to try more exciting techniques like colorwork. So I'm knitting this baby sweater and I'm nearly done with the back side which means front side is next. I want to incorporate this chart and I'm told that I should be using intarsia. Cool, I have a basic understanding of how it works. The problem for me is that I don't know how to determine how many separate bobbins I will need for this because it's a more complex shape than any of the tutorials use. Most of the tutorials don't even address how many separate areas of color there are and the ones that do, at least that I've found so far, don't explain *why* so it's difficult to apply that knowledge to this chart.

So can someone break it down for me? How many sections am I looking at for this thing? I don't want to have to go ask at my LYS because I don't know them yet and asking strangers face to face for help scares the pants off of me. Please help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012 11:07:34 AM »

If the whole design is one or 2 colors, I'd use 3 bobbins - one for the center design, one for the outside-left and one for the outside-right and where the right & left designs join on the top & bottom, just pick one bobbin to use. One color/one bobbin) for the center design, and the same or a different color for the outside (2 bobbins, one color)

Or you could use one bobbin for the whole design, and carry the yarn in the back, but that can be tricky to keep the tension even.

Or, if you know hand-embroidery, use duplicate stitch to stitch the design afterwards.

How many colors (and where) are you thinking of?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

omgitsalisa
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012 02:02:10 PM »

It was just going to be the two colors. So I should just use the 3 bobbins and carry the yarn behind any place where it's just little bits sticking out here and there? Like sort of a stranded/intarsia hybrid?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012 04:57:38 PM »

yeah. You are knitting this flat right? Intarsia in the round is trickier than it looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

omgitsalisa
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012 12:41:37 AM »

Oh yeah, it's flat. Thanks for your help! I think I have a much better idea of what I'm supposed to be doing now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 1/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 12/16
How to Crochet a Generic Baby Shoe Sole Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 11/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 14/16
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...