A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy travel moneybelt with text tutorial  (Read 1549 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigergirl
« on: July 05, 2012 05:32:38 PM »

The day before putting my other half on a plane we couldn't find any of our moneybelts so I decided to make a quick and dirty one for him to use from an old shirt, a reclaimed (about a million years ago by my mother) zipper, a small piece of elastic and some pants hooks and bars.

• I cut the back out of the shirt to give me a big rectangle
  • folded the rectangle in half, attached each end to the zipper (the hem of the shirt is actually attached to the top of the zipper)
  • opened the zip a bit, turned it inside out
  • inserted the straps inside
  • sewed up the sides
  • turned it right side out again
  • then I sewed up the front of the money belt from the bottom to just under the zip so that it has two compartments - one that holds notes and one that's smaller (credit cards, notes folded in half etc.)
  • I used a piece of elastic between the two knit strips
  • for fastening I used those flat hooks you get in pants - I wanted something nice and flat (I also hate that most money belts leave you with a mile of extra strap hanging around)
  • I put two bars in for the hook because I don't trust the cheap shoddy elastic not to stretch out - this was a quick and dirty prototype remember?

The blog post -> http://tigergirladventures.blogspot.com/2012/07/quick-and-dirty-moneybelt.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012 07:07:50 PM »

Nice job!  How big is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
tigergirl
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012 10:21:05 PM »

Thanks! I don't know the measurements exactly and at the moment it is on a plane somewhere between South Korea and the UK BUT if I had to guess I would say approx. 25cm x 10cm?? Basically, big enough for Euros, UK pounds and Aussie dollars to be flat in the one side with more notes folded in half on the other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Padester
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012 09:34:07 AM »

Isn't it cool that you can whip out a solution like that?  Love it.  Made myself some "free" sleep shorts the other day out of material that my kids think they're too "grown up" for.  Had all the stuff sitting around, so it was essentially free to me! 

As this was to you!  Nice job - and you could easily make another one out of fancier materials and take more time with the finishing of it, and have what would still be a pretty easy project, but one that would look way cool.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigergirl
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012 05:30:05 PM »

Yes, it is handy to have all of the necessary materials on hand (something tells me I could still do with a whole lot less on hand though!). I'll probably make something similar for myself although my requirements are slightly different to his. What I do really need is a new wallet but I keep putting it off. I do plan to make some quick and dirty travel wallets though - ones that aren't bulky - it drives me crazy when I've got all different currencies mixed up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Silencing Sam Book Trailer
Isabel Gillies Reveals Her Favorite Movies
Danielle Staub Talks About The Naked Truth
Meet Author Cathy Alter
Meet Model Mia Tyler
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...