A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MINI-TUTORIAL: Home-made Stamp-Carving Tool  (Read 2885 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 05, 2012 06:20:22 AM »

I can't believe you carve with an exacto, WideEyedLife - that is amazing - I suck at using the exacto to carve!   Shocked

Over in the hand-carved stamp swap gallery, there was some confusion about the tool I use to carve my stamps (example stamp carved using this tool can be found here).  So, here's the scoop:

I don't actually use an X-acto.  (That would be SO hard!)

I believe what's causing the confusion is the strange texture that is seen in the stamps I make, which doesn't look like the result of any carving tool most people have ever seen:

That's probably because, being the crazy person I am, I decided that though I have "proper" or "official" gouging carve tools, I don't like using them.  (Probably just because I don't have the patience to get to the skill level where I don't with an accidental slight twitch cut some vital part of my stamp off.)

So, I invented the following tool:

Close up.

Which is nothing more than a Bic pen with the pen part pulled out and replaced with a large (sharp) embroidery needle  (hot glued in place).

My most favorite tool ever!

I hold it at an angle and apply a steady pressure while pulling across the carving medium.  The fine sharp point acts as a very fine razor, and I repeat the process until the required depth is achieved.

Perhaps a little slow, but it gets those teeny fine lines so nicely because I can see the absolute point of the needle and therefore determine exactly where my cut will be.

Don't forget, if you decide to go all crazy and make this tool yourself, to cap the tool when not in use, and warn people it isn't a pen! It would suck to accidentally have a stabbing incident!   Grin

One awesome sidenote about about this Bicneedle technique is that, combined with a nice white poly eraser, it makes this craft affordable to almost anyone (No $15.00 tool/$17.00 carving medium start-up cost)!

The number of available carving tools for these smaller stamps is probably endless once we stretch our minds outside the box...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012 07:50:17 AM by WideEyedLife » THIS ROCKS   Logged
WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012 06:21:54 AM »

So then Wulf responded:

Now, this looks promising! I find that the problem with carving with an X-acto blade isn't getting the cut precisely where I want it, but seeing where I've made that precise little cut so I can do the next one. As soon as you remove the blade, the rubber usually closes up so tightly the cut totally disappears. Does the needle help this by leaving the cut more visible? And I wonder if a triangular leather needle would work even better. Must investigate that.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012 06:23:43 AM »

And this was my response to him:

Does the needle help this by leaving the cut more visible?

The first cut is the hardest to see.  But the deeper the cut gets, the more visible it becomes.  This is because the tool leaves micro-roughness on the inside edges of the cut that force the carving material to slightly separate.  Also, should you "lose" the line, the tool isn't going to slice the rubber all to hell as you re-find it.

The tool isn't so "powerful" on it's own; it's slicing ability comes entirely from the pressured pulling movement.  So there isn't the same worry as with the X-acto, because an accidental stab, or even *shudder* mis-slice, is (usually) almost imperceptible.

This micro-roughness is actually evidence of what the tool does: not a true slice, per say, but controlled tearing of the carving material.  This controlled micro-tearing is what leaves the grainy texture on the "mountainsides" of the stamp that is seen in the above photo.

If you look closely at the mouse's back (front right of photo, inside of the line) and whisker (back left, line farthest from the front of the photo), you will see another evidence of this micro-tearing tool's technique: a very tiny touch of roughness on the ink-stained mountain-peak surface of the stamp (it looks like very small bumps).

The final step when I use this tool is to lightly rub the non-sharp shaft of the needle back and forth against the "mountain peaks".  The simple friction of the movement knocks the slight burrs down and leaves a slightly rounded edge that makes what I consider a very satisfying imprint.

And I wonder if a triangular leather needle would work even better. Must investigate that.

As I reach back into a year ago memory, when I first started using a needle, I believe I tried one of those, but didn't like it.  But I'm certain that at that point in time I was using the needle sans Bic-pen shaft, not having come up with the way-to-hold-the-needle idea yet, and that the needle was old and not sharp enough.  I would be very interested in hearing what experience you have when using one, though.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012 06:57:35 AM »

I am fascinated by this thread!!! I've been wanting to try my hand at stamp carving, and you have just given me the PERFECT way to get my feet wet!!  AWESOME!  THANK YOU!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012 08:08:23 AM »

I too want to say THANK YOU for this great idea!  I have just started stamp carving, and I have the fancy tools, but I can see that this little homemade tool would really be useful, and I think I will make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
kmichele_craftyfae

the faery of creative chaos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012 04:16:32 PM »

Thanks for making this tutorial! I've been looking at making a tool like this for finer details in my stamps for a few months now and just haven't found a simple one (this seems very simple to make). How did you sharpen the needle? Or did you use it straight out of it's original packaging?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012 08:11:27 PM »

Thanks for making this tutorial! I've been looking at making a tool like this for finer details in my stamps for a few months now and just haven't found a simple one (this seems very simple to make). How did you sharpen the needle? Or did you use it straight out of it's original packaging?

Use it straight out of the packaging; no need to sharpen.

The needle can be used without being made a Bicneedle, of course, but the pen handle adds control, and helps the needle not jab into your skin.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Museum Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Landscape Scene
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...