A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glitterblast altered trinket shelf -- picture heavy  (Read 1408 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Helena Puck
« on: June 16, 2012 11:04:27 PM »

I hope this is the right place to put this. I used this glitter blast tutorial for dino ornaments to alter this wooden shelf that had seen better days due to spending about 10 or so years in a possibly damp storage shed.

Here is what I started with. You can't tell by this picture but one of the planks of the shelves has a noticeable fraying area which could have been a result of a bite from an animal or from being dropped. 

Here is what it looked like with the base color. I almost left it this color after I was finished but I went ahead and added glitter blast anyway. I love glitter blast.

I wanted a trinket shelf because I had lots of little goodies that deserved a home instead of a drawer, as you can see from the picture I have a little bit of everything: Polly Pocket She-Ra dolls, small action figures, a vintage mickey pez dispenser, random figures, an angel from a broken but very loved wind chime given to me by a close friend for my first apartment, clay mushrooms and a needle felted pig from my wonderful whimsy partner NH822, my husband's painted RGP minis, my son's clay creations, figurine candles, pipe cleaner creatures made by ChenilleMacabre on Etsy that I bought my husband for various holidays, my favorite wooden finger puppet I made when I was nine, a painted piggie on a watermelon gourd that my oldest son bought at a craft show, mini Star Trek ships, and a tiny crocheted octopus my husband put in last year's stocking. All these special little treasures needed a home.

My only compliant is that I hung it in a corner near a bookshelf. So to really look in it, you have to walk to the end of the room.

Thanks for looking. Since taking the pictures, I've been adding little things my boys have painted across the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

Open to trades for Smurfs, minions, and personal swaps
Calvervtutrp
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012 08:31:43 AM »

Wow, how cute! It looks very nice. The color is perfect, it catches the eye but doesn't overwhelm the items inside. What a great idea, I need one of these... or 10 Cheesy I have sooo many trinkets with no homes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Helena Puck
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012 12:05:23 PM »

Wow, how cute! It looks very nice. The color is perfect, it catches the eye but doesn't overwhelm the items inside. What a great idea, I need one of these... or 10 Cheesy I have sooo many trinkets with no homes.

Thanks! It was really fun. I need more trinket shelves too and maybe a couple more empty walls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012 02:48:46 PM »

I need more knick knack shelves!!!  Sad  next time I find and paint one of these, I'm using this Glitterblast stuff too.  I love glitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  and your shelf looks really nice!

and I so totally "hate" you for that She-Ra set!  lol.  I may have to scour eBay to see if anyone is selling theirs at a reasonable price, or maybe just She-Ra.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012 04:13:27 PM »

That is such a cool shelf and you really gave it a fancy new glittery life! Very nice. Perfect for displaying all of your goodies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Helena Puck
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012 03:56:54 AM »

and I so totally "hate" you for that She-Ra set!  lol.  I may have to scour eBay to see if anyone is selling theirs at a reasonable price, or maybe just She-Ra.  Wink

They are awesome are they?! I'd hate me too if my husband didn't get them for me. It's a fairly new Polly Pocket She-Ra set released at Comic Con. It killed when to open it but when our house was robbed last year, the beautiful sliding box was badly dented which forced me to open the box. That's one reason I wanted to make the shelf. Their big heads and hair isn't supported will on those tiny limbs. But I kept some of the artwork from the box, like Hordak and Lookee, for future bookmarks.

Thank you LimeRiot. Glitter makes everything a little fancier. I can't wait to use glitterblast again Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012 04:39:18 AM »

I just love this!  Too cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jimmy Gownley Reveals the Inspiration for His Stories
The Hibernation Station Book Trailer
James Shapiro on Who Wrote Shakespeare
Sandra Brown on the Writing of Smash Cut and Tough Customer
Garry Trudeau Talks About the Past, Present and Future of Doonesbury
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...