A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP, I'm teaching a class and your ideas/thoughts are appreciated!!!!!  (Read 626 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JodiJean
JOCOLE: extra-long modest shirts! personalized tyvek creations (including iPod cases) and unique compact pocket mirrors. sterling silver jewelry.

Modest clothing, tyvek wallets, recipe boxes

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2005 03:03:45 PM »

A friend of mine asked me to teach a class on easy ideas to re-do a room (i.e. duvet covers, etc.)

Well I have found a whole bunch of patterns and ideas and things that tell you how to do certain projects . . . but . . . the class is only about 1 hour long, so I am wondering how I should conduct the class, should I demonstrate how to sew something simple (like a pillowcase) or just go over the patterns and answer questions?  I'm just not sure how to approach this.

Any ideas on cute ways to keep the ladies interested in what I have to say, and maybe what I should do.  Keep in mind, that if I do bring in my sewing machine to show some techniques or something, I will be on the only one who has a sewing machine (they are not being told to bring anything).

Oh and if any of you craftsters have ideas of cute projects or something share them please.

The class is set for July 7th, so I need this help before then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.jocole.net
http://jocole.etsy.com

JOCOLE:  Extra-long modest shirts!
Personalized tyvek wallet and zipper pouches, custom recipe boxes.

http://jodijean.blogspot.com
http://jocole.blogspot.com
youlittlerabbit
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005 04:15:01 PM »

teaching people to sew if they have no experience takes longer than an hour, so I'd say don't spend time on that. give ideas for easy things people can do- duvet/pillowcase covers, re-covering lampshades,decoupage,maybe flower arrangments, embroidery, etc. Maybe you can give out sheets with tips on how to do these things, and go over them quickly, then take questions. You can also point people in the right direction to learn more- i.e. classes at nearby craft centers, or match people up with other who can teach them a skill.

good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thommoose
Moose

mind if I borrow your light green Sharpie?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005 11:08:25 AM »

Alright- one hour re-do's, eh?
The simplest thing to explain that would have the most impact in a room would be painting!!!  It's the cheapest, easiest, and most dramatic way to impact a room- I mean, a coat of paint will completely change decor instantly!  If you're up on it, some primed foamcore and some glazes, you could demonstrate different finishing techniques-
In addition, I think teaching editing is crucial.  I know interiors are always overburdened with stuff- it's a common mistake.  We see things in magazines and want our homes to look like that, and most of the time we feel the need to add things to our space to make them feel like the look of the hot spreads we're trying to emulate; when in fact, what we usually (about 95% of the time) need to do is to take stuff out...  Edit the room once, twice, then three times.  When you think you've got it right, take something else out.  Then you're probably done.
*just re-read your post and realized you're into the fabric arts.*
To answer the question, you'd definitely need to guage the experience level of your class--- I suspect the class will be intimate- everyone will be able to gather 'round your machine and watch you stitching: that said, I'd bring 2 demonstrations with me...  First the simple one that anyone who can thread a machine can make- and the second a little more involved.  Demonstrate the first one entirely- then I'd show off the second more complicated one, pointing out where I used the same techniques and going into detail a little more about the intricate portions (this way you address all the experience levels.)  Bring hand outs for both- and gear all the handouts for the lowest experience level you expect.
I taught a faux finishing class once...  Demo'd a crackle (first the common way with glaze and mediums, then the real kind with muscilage and vinegar)- and then showed how that worked to do a cracked porcelain/crazed pottery effect...  The latter was a little more involved, but worked off the same principles.  I got really good feedback for it (and have done quite a few more since.)
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...those that matter do not judge and those that judge do not matter..."  -unknown

"Can I do this? Or do I look like some sort of gay superhero?" - Sterling
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Laurel Braitman on When Animals Go Mad
I Wish I Had a Pet
Meet the Post: Q&A with WorldViews Bloggers
Break the Cycle and Never Go Back
What Does the Second Amendment Actually Mean?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...