A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adding Woman Curves to A Guys T-Shirt  (Read 3592 times)
Tags for this thread: tee_recon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DEmiurgic
Little O'l Me

Art & Dancing, my two passions.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2012 07:37:01 AM »

It seems like, (maybe it's just me) that the guys have better deals and finds on cool shirts. If I want a girl fitted version of the same shirt, I have to shell out an extra 10-15 dollars?!!!  Shocked
So if I find a guys shirt I like, then I'll make my own curvy version at a cheaper price. Cheesy --I just have to invest a little "sew" time.

This one is my first reconstructed add curves shirt.

Here is a cool guys shirt, all square and no curves.

Turn it inside out.

I went a head and laid the other template from the other shirt on and traced it with a regular art "white" charcoal pencil, since I'm sewing on a black shirt.

Next cut. (I did cut on the line, b/c when I traced the template I gave my self a little space to get a good mark on the black shirt.
Then sew!

Now I use the scraps as a template for future shirts, on how much to cut.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012 04:45:28 AM by DEmiurgic - Reason: Added updated photo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. --Theodore Roosevelt
mercedes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012 01:32:48 PM »

Nice! I agree on the guys getting cool tees. This makes me want to go hunt through the mens' section at thrift store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~Mercedes~~~~~~
They're like the Real World meets Boy Meets World meets Days of Our Lives.
leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012 02:41:21 PM »

Nice, i do this all the time! Now if the store is out of my size, I just buy a bigger one and make it small, sometimes even before I go to school if I want to wear it that day. The way i do it, though, I sew before I cut, because then if I mess up I can just take the thread out and try again. Maybe if I made a template like you, I wouldn't have that problem lol

And you're right. Guys totally have better shirts. Girl ones are so cutsie and make me sad Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
DEmiurgic
Little O'l Me

Art & Dancing, my two passions.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012 04:46:33 AM »

I know, especially at Khols clothing stores. I always head over to the guys graphic Tshirts. lol  Grin

Nice, i do this all the time! Now if the store is out of my size, I just buy a bigger one and make it small, sometimes even before I go to school if I want to wear it that day. The way i do it, though, I sew before I cut, because then if I mess up I can just take the thread out and try again. Maybe if I made a template like you, I wouldn't have that problem lol

And you're right. Guys totally have better shirts. Girl ones are so cutsie and make me sad Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. --Theodore Roosevelt
Brixtia
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012 06:04:00 AM »

Ahhh, I  hadn't thought of sewing before cutting!! Just bought a sewing machine and my first project was to shrink a men's t-shirt, however I cut the arm width too small!  Undecided As it worked out, it ended up being a short sleeve once cut to the original shoulder seem and it looks nicer than my original intention, but this definitely will be useful in future Cheesy Thank you! The guys shirts definitely get the cool designs though! I've been buying those and just dealing with the fact they're not quite the right shape until now!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Who
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012 05:24:49 PM »

I love doing this:) Mens shirts are longer too which is good for me because i'm tall and ladies shirts are often quite short on me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joylene6
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012 06:06:25 AM »

Newbie question.... I have a bernina sewing machine..... What stitch is the best for tshirts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Who
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012 08:05:12 AM »

Use a straight stitch and set the stitch width between two and three. Then beside that stitch you should put a zigzag stitch to make it more sturdy and stretchy. Look at the seams on a t-shirt you own and you can get a clearer picture of what i'm talking about if i dont make sense:P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oddly
Tutorial Contributor

The Nuckin' Futs Knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013 09:52:33 PM »

I love getting the guy sized shirts and fitting them, the girl sizes always have cap sleeves, I like a longer sleeve.  I love the Nintendo t!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jamberry Nail Wrap Review: How to Get a Fabulous Manicure at Home
Exclusive: Emmy Rossum Spills Hair and Beauty Secrets
"Skin Laundry" Offers Glow On The Go
Beyonce Makeover After
Favorite Celeb Body Parts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...