A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boyfriend Bag - Ugly Leather Jacket has a new life!  (Read 3377 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2012 , leather_jacket , leather_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheDaytimeHeroes
« on: July 02, 2012 11:14:47 AM »

So my boyfriend was in need of a messenger-style bag for school, to carry around textbooks and his laptop. Found one for a good price, buuuut it wouldn't fit his laptop. And was faux leather, which is just not the way we roll. Real leather all the way.

So he asked nicely if I thought I'd be able to make one. Naturally I took on the challenge.

I found this x-large genuine leather jacket/trench coat at Value Village for $8. Its a gorgeous colour, a nice rich dark brown, so dark its almost black. Little bit of mottling, and super soft. So I gutted the jacket (which is a disgusting task for those who like to rip apart pre-owned jackets), and took a look at what I had to work with. The chest part of the jacket had some zippers, which I kept, they are the slightly diagonal zips on the back of the bag. I didn't want the main zipper of the jacket to be included in the back of the bag, so I carefully cut it out and reassembled.

I used a belt that he had and no longer wore because it broke, but it matched the leather perfectly. Had some black 1.5" strapping kicking around with the adjuster, incorporated that as well. The length of the strap can be adjusted in two ways.

Because it was primarily meant to be a laptop bag, the bag itself needed protection. A lot of bags have a neoprene type of casing incorporated into the bag, so I waltzed over to Dollarama and managed to find two thinner neoprene laptop cases for $2 each. Those are now part of the laptop portion of the bag.

Some things didn't line up properly, but meh, good enough. He's happy with it, so I am.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

This message will self-destruct.

Originals, prints and feather paintings!
My Etsy shop--> http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheDaytimeHeroes?ref=si_shop
Deviantart --> http://kodriak.deviantart.com/

~<3
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012 12:01:13 PM »

Shocked I'd be please with myself, too!!! That is some majorly ingenious construction/materials-usage!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JerseyGal
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012 05:24:56 PM »

You are one creative girlfriend!!  What ingenuity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewfumust
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012 03:21:51 PM »

That's great recycling!  He'll enjoy it for a long time.  By the way, my VV would never sell a leather coat at that price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karindanielle
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012 01:53:29 PM »

I'm impressed by what you did with an old leather jacket.  It looks so professional. Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDaytimeHeroes
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012 05:04:37 PM »

Thanks everyone!

That's great recycling!  He'll enjoy it for a long time.  By the way, my VV would never sell a leather coat at that price.

I found it incredibly unusual to sell a genuine leather coat at that price too, but there were a few slashes here and there in the leather. I managed to just work around them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This message will self-destruct.

Originals, prints and feather paintings!
My Etsy shop--> http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheDaytimeHeroes?ref=si_shop
Deviantart --> http://kodriak.deviantart.com/

~<3
chezlin
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012 12:08:46 PM »

Wow this is great! Really well done. I love using old leather jackets to make awesome bags!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

csnicole
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012 04:09:22 PM »

Awesome! I love this! Makes me want to run out and get a old leather jacket and make my own! But mine wouldn't look as nice as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alexxxx
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012 04:34:14 PM »

AMAZING JOB! very original
I love working with old leather jackets they have so much character Smiley

I hope your boyfriend appreciates it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katyfox
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012 08:38:56 AM »

This is awesome. What a lucky boyfriend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do the Grafitti Letter P
How to Learn Graffiti Art
How to Do Grafitti Clothing
How to Sketch a Nose
How to Draw 3D Letters
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...