A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swanky Skankin' Skellies Sweater  (Read 1257 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pesky pixie
Kitschy Crocheter

Hook like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2012 06:51:03 AM »

This is my first tunisian crocheted bulky sweater.
I found this old Beehive sweater pattern on etsy with Mexican dancers and bongo players with music notes. It's a knitting pattern but it is graphed so it can be used for tunisian crochet too.

I loved it but wanted to make it with a really cool dancing skeleton graph I found here http://www.myphotostitch.com/Make_Pattern/Make_Pattern.html on a do-it-yourself graph pattern making site.

At this site, people have made their own graphs which get posted for a while. But they only post photos of the finished graphs for a short time so its not there anymore and I have no idea who made it. Im so glad I saw it and was able to make a copy before it was deleted!

After I got the bongo player pattern I realized that I needed a sweater pattern for a much larger person than on this old pattern. Soooo, I got a Mary Maxim Titan bulky sweater pattern book here. http://www.marymaxim.com/titan-bulky-jackets-pattern-book.html

It was on sale, (still is), and it has lots of nice patterns too. So I used this Titan booklet for the sweater size, used the old Beehive pattern for the bongos and music notes, and used the skeleton graph to make this.

The sweater is almost all wool. I used I Love This Wool from Hobby Lobby, and Lion Brand Fishermans wool yarns. I had the intention of felting it but after I put it together, I realized that it would shrink way too much and never fit. I used a size J cabled afghan hook.

I took photos of the sections I made before assembling it. This way you could see the patterns more clearly.

I made the back first. I had to make the skeleton twice - reversing the pattern for one of them. It was confusing at first but you get used to it.

Heres a photo of the two front sides of the sweater. I used soft Watercolors yarn from Lion Brand Yarn for the stripes. I think that yarn is discontinued now.

Finally heres the sleeves. Now, I asked my husband, (who actually played the drums in high school), if the notes were correct and what about if I reverse them for the other sleeve? (It says to do that in the pattern).

I showed him the photo on the Beehive booklet. I wanted to make sure it was right. Well, he said one was right, the other not. Well, I wanted to get it right. But I guess I misunderstood him or something. So, consequently, I think I made them both wrong. (At this point, I dont care anymore) LOL!

So after taking the pre-assembled photos I went to put it all together. Ugh! It was so hard!

The sleeves kind of come in at an angle from the front and back and so when joining you kind of just have to free-style it. Plus, crochet is so bulky.

After trying several things, I finally wound up weaving black yarn through the seams and cinching it. Its still bulky but, believe me, its much better than it was. I have a few more photos of it all together. My son took the pictures and the color is not as accurate as the separated piece shots I took of it alone earlier.

I have two multi-strand crocheted yarn ties for closure. I added a lot of soft fluffy trim all around too. I was going to make pockets but didnt want to cover over any of the skellies.

I cant wait to wear this! Its perfect for Halloween or Da de los Muertos occasions. Its so dang hot right now but it will be great for fall here in Indiana.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MsZombieElvis
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012 09:03:06 AM »

are you kidding me with this? this is soooo awesome! love the dancing skeletons! i soooo wish I was this talented! Looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't Panic"
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012 12:07:05 PM »

BWAHAHAHA! You are AWESOME! Never mind Hallowe'en! I'd wear that all the time!!! "Cowichan" jackets are just the coolest and a dancing skeletons one... There are no words!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kathrynsss
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012 12:50:20 PM »

This is so cool  Cheesy Love the design!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purple_sense
Lurkey McLurkerson

I can have a dark side too!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012 12:54:22 PM »

This is super cool!  I'm well impressed, it looks like it was really complicated.  I really love the fluffy trim you added to it, it looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockstarcharmer

"Whats a happenin, hot stuff?"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012 08:29:01 AM »

This is awesome! Fantastic job! I love everything about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madcrafter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012 07:11:12 PM »

Your sweater is wonderful.  I would never have guessed you were new to Tunesian work. 

Thanks for sharing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enjoy crafting today!

Lois the raving crafter

Stop by my blog and say hi!
http://ravingsofamadcrafter.blogspot.com/
SelenaMKI
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013 01:59:42 AM »

Grin Wow, this sweater is amazing.  How did you translate the knit pattern into a tunisian crochet pattern? You did this in TSS, right? And the skeletons, etc. were "cross-stitched" onto the completed panels, yes?  I bet if you wrote this up as a pattern it would sell like hotcakes on Etsy! (hint, hint--nudge,nudge)  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many crafts, such a big stash, so little time!
pesky pixie
Kitschy Crocheter

Hook like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013 06:24:04 AM »

Hi Selena!

The sweater pattern has graphs for the bongo drums, music symbols, (and the Mexican dancers too but I didn't use them).
So I just tunisian crocheted the designs instead of knitting. If you don't tunisian crochet, you could probably make the sweater by single stitching and changing colors throughout.

I'm not good at that because you have to constantly flip over your project after each row and read the graph left-right / right-left etc. Plus with the color changes you would have loose ends all over the place in both front and back of your garment that you would have to weave in and hide. But some people are great at that.

Another option would be like you suggested - just making the whole sweater in single crochet with the background color and then cross stitching the design overtop. If it was made in wool and you made it large enough to "felt" by washing it afterwards and drying it in the dryer, the top stitches probably wouldn't be so noticeable as being only stitched over the crochet. But you'd have to be really sure to make it big enough or you might end up having a really awesome doll sweater!  Cheesy  Wool yarn is pretty expensive too so it would be a sad day indeed!

About the skeleton pattern, I found that super cool graph on a graph pattern-making site. I think I listed it in my first post on here. Some talented person made it and it was posted with a lot of other finished graphs from folks. I'm not sure how long the finished graphs are posted on that site before they delete them.

I have found a lot of great graph patterns this way. The people who make them are usually young girls (like teens to twenty-year-olds.) (This is only my guess judging from the subject matter of many of the graphs. For example; rock bands I've never heard of, Twilight-related characters or sayings, video games, anime type characters, popular movies, etc.) There's usually something in the pages of finished graphs for everyone. The graphs can be used for anything you can think of. Cross stitch, needlepoint, or making beaded bracelets. (That's a wonderful art that a lot of people are getting into. Some can be so detailed it's just amazing!)

But since I didn't make the skeleton graph myself, I could never sell it. And who knows where the person who graphed it got the image or idea. They might have taken the skeleton from someone else's design and just made it into a graph for their own personal use.

The Beehive bongo pattern is from probably from the 50's or 60's. I don't think that's old enough to be in public domain yet. Does anyone know about that?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013 10:24:12 AM »

This is all kinds of awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sideline Beauty Secrets
Ask Marianna: Skin Care Routine and Quick Fixes For Oily Hair
How to Do Date Night Makeup in 5 Minutes Flat
Drab to Fab in One City Block
Zooey Deschanel Tells Us Her Big Beauty Secrets and New Girl Surprises
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...