A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
761 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where can I take sewing lessons in Connecticut?  (Read 9623 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shortnsweetly
« on: August 21, 2009 11:58:05 PM »

Hi Everyone,
 I haven't sewn in many years and would love to take up the craft again. I am looking to take some classes to learn everything from the basics to shaping and zippers. I know places  like JoAnn Fabrics offers some classes, but I was looking for a small shop where I could get some REAL instruction. I haven't had any luck looking it up online, so maybe you folks here can give me some ideas.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009 01:14:31 PM »

Have you tried looking at any local community colleges?  Sometimes they have classes like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BT
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009 02:23:34 PM »

Check on www.asg.org to see if there is a local chapter of the American Sewing Guild. The organization doesn't generally teach sewing, but one of their members might be an instructor.

Also, local sewing machine stores often have classes. (They want to sell their machines, after all.)

Joann's and Hancock's sometimes offer classes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sumimac
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009 04:54:08 PM »

My town (Milford) offers adult ed sewing classes.  See if your town offers some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mayflower23
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010 02:24:15 PM »

I just can't help but drop my 2 cents in on the sewing teacher for the sewing classes offered thru the Adult Education Center in Milford.  warning:  its brutal.  I took the class at the beginning of this year so it's all still fresh.  She's awful.  Absolutely awful.  No structure for one.  Impatient w/ students and rude remarks.  We did not learn measuring your body and how it translates to sewing a pattern.  Basically you just picked a size and hope it turns out ok.  One lady had to sew her (basic) pants 3 times because they were too small.  Very rude, cranky lady - she ran off 3 of the students because of her rudeness.  Please don't take this class if the teachers name is Diane.

I wish I had invested in some learn to sew dvd's like you can find at sewsoeasy.com or youcanmakeit.com.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010 02:25:36 PM by Mayflower23 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FIFI

It's useful being top banana in the shock dept.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010 06:29:01 PM »

Just came across an adorable little store in Fairfield called Make and Mingle. They have sewing classes along with fabric,etc.

http://www.makeandmingle.com/aboutus

FiFi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhondasoriginals
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010 07:50:17 AM »

Hi Everyone,
 I haven't sewn in many years and would love to take up the craft again. I am looking to take some classes to learn everything from the basics to shaping and zippers. I know places  like JoAnn Fabrics offers some classes, but I was looking for a small shop where I could get some REAL instruction. I haven't had any luck looking it up online, so maybe you folks here can give me some ideas.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper doll downloads, vintage love potion bottles, jewelry, greeting card downloads, and more!
rhondasoriginals
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010 07:53:18 AM »

"Close To Home" on Main Street, Glastonbury is great for sewing lessons. They have 5 other branches, not sure where. One is in Unionville. Just call them for information. 1-860-633-0721. Tell Marilyn and Ron that Rhonda sent you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper doll downloads, vintage love potion bottles, jewelry, greeting card downloads, and more!
soizie
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012 02:54:00 PM »

pieceful creative arts
66 Sugar Hollow Rd (Rt 7)
Danbury, CT 06810
203 733 9772

Jo Ann Brown owns it. She is the former manager of the yarn department of the fabric tree.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chuck Thompson on College Football in the South
David Maraniss on the Untold Story of Barack Obama
Katherine Stansfield Performs Her Poem "Oh Bees of Rhode Island"
Robert Whiting Offers a Look Inside Yakuza Culture
Backlash Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...