A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster Photo-hosting Wishlist?  (Read 6692 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012 07:05:25 PM »

And..maybe this is being said and I'm not clear on it...only being doing photo thingies since I joined craftsters...it would be cool if some how I could intergrate my bloging photos better with craftsters.  By the time I get through posting here, that part of my brain is tired and wants not to blog.  If I could some how use them here from my blog, or use them from here to my blog, it would make it less treadmill like.  Not in the trying to sell things way of course Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
calluna
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012 07:46:18 PM »

I think it would be helpful if there were a link to members' photo galleries in their Profile Info. Not to do away with the Show Images feature (which I think is much more important/awesome than direct access to a member's gallery, if I had to choose between the two), but to make the individual photo galleries more easily accessible and integrated with the rest of the site.

Will the photo-hosting feature continue to serve only its current purpose, or does the entity of Craftster.org want it to become something more?  I don't have many complaints about it as-is, but if the hope is to draw more web traffic to the photo galleries and give them a life of their own, a lot of improvements would be called for. I know I'm not the only person who uses the Photo-hosting feature as a dumping place repository for my Craftster pics without putting the time in to adequately describe the images so others can find them. Since they're going straight into a discussion post, and since hardly anyone else adds description/tags either, it doesn't seem too important, as long as I know what I have. I'm hopefully gong to become well-versed in metadata in the coming year, and I'd be happy to volunteer some help in this area once I'm more skillful in it.

I echo the wish for streamlining the upload process and an organizing options for photos.
Additionally, it would be nice if we could specify whether we want a large, medium or small version embedded in our posts, as right now it automatically resizes to 500 x something (I usually need to go back and manually shrink them down), unless we use the thumbnail feature. Another site with photo-hosting I've used adds "large/medium/small" to the photo file name automatically, and you can just type in the "/large/", "/medium/" or "/small/" to the appropriate place in the URL to adjust what size shows up when it's posted...The Craftster photos do have "/medium/" in the file name, but changing this to "/large/" or "/small/" causes an error.

One thing I like about the current photo-hosting is that the look of it takes me back to Craftster days of yore. There's nothing wrong with the current Craftster layout, but I'm still fond of the corkboard background and such.  Good memories. Smiley

I also like that if a picture has been deleted, in discussion threads where the picture was posted (but coding not removed) it just leaves the link to where the picture used to be--as opposed to the large "Sorry, this picture cannot be found" graphics that Photobucket and Flickr use. It's easier on the eyes.  Smiley But I would imagine that having such a graphic when a Craftster-hosted picture is missing would help admins more easily spot these cases, and, when deemed appropriate (such as popular tutorial threads), dig them up to replace them. Something to consider.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012 08:27:53 PM »

Yes...calluna!  That is exactly what I meant and had no idea how to say...well parts of it.  Parts of it are new to me  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
How Lovely
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012 09:01:05 PM »

I'd love to be able to upload straight from my iphone! Not sure if this is already possible? I tried the other day and it wouldn't let me:(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sweet... Like too much sugar in your tea
~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Pins: www.pinterest.com/howlovely
Store: www.etsy.com/shop/NostOWLgia
Alexus1325
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2012 11:11:50 AM »

Craftster resizes large images. I would like to have the image link to a larger image, the size that was upload for higher resolution images. The size limit seems to be 500 pix wide. Some images should be able to seen either full screen or opened in another window.

That's one of my biggest beefs. I make sure to resize my images to just less than the limit for raw data, 1.9Kb, but they're still a good size for viewing the details of my the photo (hurray 12 megapixel camera!). But once they're uploaded to my Craftster gallery, the small and large versions of the photo are the same size.

I understand that a lot of people are still on dial-up internet, which is why we should have an option in our user preferences to auto-re-size all photos for optimal viewing on dial-up. That way, those of us with half-decent internet get photos with larger maximum dimensions, and those with very slow download speeds get the current maximum dimensions.

Another option is to code the photos for certain dimensions in-thread, but allow them to be opened individually without the restrictive coding. On Cut Out & Keep, when you click one of the photos in a project slideshow, it opens it in-window with a maximum size, but if you right-click and open it in a new tab/window (in Windows 7 using Firefox or Chrome), you get the original photo as uploaded by the user, which is usually much larger. If we had something similar here on Craftster, where someone on dial-up REALLY wants to view the large version of a photo, they just need to open that image by itself.

BTW, I think it's awesome that you mods/Internet Brands, Inc. are constantly trying to improve our user experience Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012 11:25:23 AM »

Just a quick check-in on the weekend, but wanted to make sure you guys know how awesome you are to us!   Thank you thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012 05:18:05 PM »

Here's one I haven't seen yet (I skimmed, though, so I might have missed it)  If there was a way to tag members.  Like, say I was to recieve an item from Sweets in a Swap, I'd like to beable to tag her, as I would do on facebook, so that if someone was looking for things Sweets had made, they'd see them all, if she didn't post a seperated thread for that item.

And I agree with the smoother upload process. fewer click = happier me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012 05:31:49 PM »

Here's one I haven't seen yet (I skimmed, though, so I might have missed it)  If there was a way to tag members.  Like, say I was to recieve an item from Sweets in a Swap, I'd like to beable to tag her, as I would do on facebook, so that if someone was looking for things Sweets had made, they'd see them all, if she didn't post a seperated thread for that item.

Yes -- maybe with an auto-fill-suggestion feature like the Private Messages have when entering who the recipient will be. I try to remember to put the member name in the image title ("from so-and-so") in order to distinguish that it was made by someone other than me, but often I abbreviate the name (as a result the item wouldn't show up if someone were searching for that member), and it would be easier to visually round up everything a person's made/sent if there were member tags. Some people might member-tag/label their photos in the opposite way, tagging whomever has received something from them, so it might be a bit confusing if its purpose isn't explained.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012 06:21:42 PM »

Oh, I love that suggestion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
aml
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012 01:01:46 AM »

I would love to be able to drag and drop from my computer to a craftster window.

When uploading multiple photos, I'd love to be able to select them all at once rather than Choose File > Click image > Open x 5.  It would be AWESOME if we could just select five on one screen and voila! Smiley

Once you open the upload dialogue, you can open your picture folder, mark the pictures you want to upload and drag them into one of the fields. The picture names are inserted as comma separeted list and once you hit upload the program recognizes there is more than one picture and opens the next dialogue accordingly   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10: Set Delete Function
Canon G10: Set Auto Mode Function
Canon G10: Set Aperture Priority (Av) Function
Canon G10: Set for Sunset Scene
Canon G10: Set for Sports Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...