A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Washer Madness! (pic heavy-ish)  (Read 3821 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EyeofMazikeen
Red, Red, Red

One eye to hold you

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2012 04:36:32 PM »

Washers seem to be a staple of the recycling conscious jewelry crafter's arsenal.  I managed to somehow have stashed an unholy amount of washers when they remodeled the break room in my office building, and I decided to toss my hat into the ring so to speak and see how many different ways I could use washers to create jewelry pieces.

I <3 epoxy glue.  This has a pin back, you just can't see it.  : )  I blinged up the washer with a cameo and glued some wire curlys to the back.  Washers make great cheap bases for the "gluing things to other things" style of jewelry making.  : )

Another washer based cameo pin.  This one with additional bling, and a ruffled lace back.

Twine wrapped for a more rustic look.  It was kind of difficult to photograph, but I think you can kind of get the gist.  It was heck on the fingers, but it looks pretty cute without the lighting issues I was having.

Rainbow obmre ribbon wrapped washer.  I like the general effect, but I want to try it with a slightly less chaotic ribbon colors to see what that looks like.

Basic wire wrapped washer.  I think I want to try adding beads or something next time.

Added some patina to this one and glued a finding to it because I <3 epoxy glue  : )

I think this one is my favorite of the batch.  it came out the closest to what I had imagined in my brain.  I just wrapped the washer with four different colors of embroidery floss, but I think the effect turned out really well.  I can't wait to try this with other color combinations!

The ever popular "paper on washer" mod, but with manga!

I painted this washer with gesso and then colored it with colored pencil.  I sealed it with clear nail polish.  The effect is interesting but I can't quite figure out what to do with it.

And finally, itsy bitsy brass washers for earrings.  Wire wrapped to give them something to hang from, and of course with something glued to them because that's how I roll.

Anyway, if anyone has any more ideas as to how I can use up the remainder of my washers that would be awesome.  Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Vengeance built me hastily"
I have an Etsy store now, thanks to peer pressure: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MazikeenStudios
I'm also trying to make 7 things a week for a year.  http://mazikeenstudios.blogspot.com/  (Warning: this is usually pretty behind!)
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012 05:45:52 AM »

Oh wow, these are all great!  I think the first cameo is my favourite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
toothfairy51
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012 08:05:00 AM »

OMG!!! I LOVE washers AND epoxy, too! These are great!!!
 Kiss
toothfairy51
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is hard.... it's harder if you're stupid
special_occasion
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012 12:47:42 AM »

I *especially* like the first one: the "gluing things to other things" style has a long history in crafting and is well respected   Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
catdaddytn
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012 10:04:49 AM »

neat  ... I recently wanted to make a necklace with washers, but it just did not work out.  I couldn't get the right size and I wanted copper, but my local store just didn't have much selection.

I just finished a purse and used the washers that didn't work out for my necklace as connector pieces for my straps.

beautiful work
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
appatite
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012 11:41:12 AM »

I love them all, but in particular the ribbon/thread wrapped ones. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stones and Findings: Stones, chains, pearls, Sterling Silver and indie-designed unique findings!
http://www.stonesandfindings.com
Make it beautiful Smiley
Jakabird
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013 01:55:14 PM »

These are adorable! My daughters enjoy making...well, anything, but jewelry is one they like, but can't always Do. This is perfect: no sharp thingies, and thousands of variations possible! Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013 09:27:47 PM »

You've made some really unique pieces! It seems the possibilities are endless with washers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
RCCorn
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014 06:26:21 AM »

I really really like the ones with the wire. Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizziegirl3
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014 06:58:45 AM »

Those are so awesome ! I love how each one is so unique too !  My favorites are the wire wrapped, the embroidery floss, the manga one, the earrings.... okay nevermind I love them all !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
All the World Book Trailer
Sensing Spirit Book Trailer
Obama Diaries Book Trailer
Al Gore Talks About Our Choice
Charles R. Smith Jr. Reveals His Most Noticeable Trait
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...