A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plaster frame into jewelry holder  (Read 647 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chirel
« on: July 30, 2014 12:24:39 PM »

This is one of those never-ending projects, a crash landed UFO (UnFinished Object) that finally got finished! I'm really happy Smiley

This is part of DeStash-along 2014 so I'll list the materials.

At least four years ago a friend brought the plaster frame to me because it was broken and apparently could not be fixed. You can see the cracs on the corners where the plaster had cracked. The wooden frame beneath the plaster was a bit loose but otherwise fine, so I accepted the frame. I knew instantly that I'd want to use it to make a jewelry holder.

Other materials:
the sea chart I got from someone, who said it was out of date and too worn and torn to be used, but that she thought I might think of something to do with it. Sea chart is kind of like a map and maps are just awesome! So I said yes even though I had no idea what I would make of it (earlier I've used it for cards and there's still some left).
The lace is leftover from a steampunk style skirt I made. It was the exact right lenght for this project! No leftovers \o/
The hooks I had bought for my kitchen. Screwing them on the board beneath my top cupboards proved to be so difficult that I decided one was enough. These three have been waiting for a new purpose for two years.
Corkboard I got through a recycling group on Facebook.
Oaints: green I already had. The gold and glitter I had to buy. They are the only things I bought for this!
Last week when I decided to finally finish this project I intended to go buy some kind of lace and hooks and other stuff, but then I found the DeStash-along and decided to make do with what I had at home. I'm really glad I did, because I didn't need to wait for a chance to go to the stores and I was able to put these materials in use instead of just storing them.

The frame without jewelry. And in this photo you can see that the hooks are not straight, but it doesn't matter as I only noticed it in this photo.

The process:
I glued the loose corners and painted the frame first with green, then applied gold to highlight the ornaments and last I added some glitter.
I re-positioned the wire in the back. (The frame used to be horizontal.)
I cut the cork board and glued the chart on it. And the lace on the chart. Then glued the cork board behind the frame. It was the exact right thickness.
Then I screwed the hooks through the cork board (lot easier than screwing them on the kitchen board Cheesy ). The difficult part was cutting the extra length off of the screws so they wouldn't scratch the wall. i tried cutting them and sawing them but finally had to ask for help.

A picture of one of the cracks. I think they just add to the frame and make it more interesting. There's actually a small piece missing from one corner (the edges of the crack had broken off), but I just painted it over and now you can hardly notice it. This is also a detail of the paint job.

It's hard to understand how it took four years to finish something that was so easy to explain, but I suppose I just needed the time to think through different solutions while I focused on other things.

Most of the jewerly is also my designs. (Although you can't really see them.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014 02:01:45 PM »

I love the finish that you put on that frame...dang...i just pitched a similar one where the plaster had started chipping off!

Love your process...it took a lot more steps but so worth it...love the use of the lace as a place to hang earrings...

Destash and upcycled...fine project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chirel
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014 09:46:06 PM »

Thanks Smiley

I was surprised to hear that the shop had said this frame could not be fixed. Look! It's fixed! Cheesy I'd love to work on another, but I don't really need one now that I have this. Maybe someone I know would like one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tashera jean
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014 12:29:26 PM »

This is just fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Avoid the Worst Design Mistakes
Design for a Murphy stage fold up stage
The Future of Architectural Design
Simon De Pury Talks About Design
Paola Antonelli Talks About What Makes a Design Good
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...