A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yard advise/ insperation needed  (Read 620 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raynebeauxx
« on: May 20, 2012 07:05:27 PM »

Hello there I live in a pretty house in a pretty neighbor hood on  a nice brick road across the street from a park a AMAZING place to live. Only my  yard is the worst looking one not only on the street but the block. We have been working the past week putting a stone path laying some grass seed lining our sidewalk with bricks to make it look nice but I feel like it needs more.

What I am looking for: I have a large young family I am 23 a mother of 4 & I would love for my yard to be BRIGHT & have a YOUNG  even hippie like feel to it. I am kind of at a block. I just need some insperation.
If any one has any ideas please let me know  I need some help. Im at a crafters/gardners block.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/raynebeauxxx/

I have a facebook group that is about showing off crafts I would love anyone to join.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/217478781664975/
StitchWench
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012 05:21:39 AM »

I Googled: front yard sidewalk - but as I'm unsure how much space you have I didn't know where to start so I looked here: http://www.bhg.com/gardening/landscaping-projects/landscape-basics/sidewalk-garden-front-yard/

One thing I did want to say is if you're wanting to do this on a small budget ask neighbours if they'd give you cuttings of plants to get you started.

I have a thing for scented geraniums (DH & I are not gardeners) because they grow so easily, have pretty flowers & smell lovely when brushed against or the breeze blows over them. I started with cuttings from friends.

The cracks in our concrete are filled with alyssum which serves two purposes a) it gives it a cottage garden feel & b) people lift their feet to step over the plants & don't trip on the uneven edges. We had a few of these when we moved in & I just cut the seed heads off as they went to seed & sprinkled them into the cracks in the concrete.

I keep trying to grow nasturtiums too but haven't had any luck with those seeds yet. Nasturtiums have bright flowers plus the flowers & leaves are edible.

You could also use unusual containers like old aluminium teapots to plant small annuals such as pansies in.

Whatever you end up doing I'm sure you'll love it & I hope you post photos because I'd really like to see them.

Best wishes & have fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamacrikt
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012 02:19:49 PM »

I'm a big fan of clever containers for potted plants (old rain boots, broken sculptures, broken grill, old toilets, bathtubs, sinks, etc.) and lots of cool yard-art. I really love repurposing and upcycling junk to make outdoor decorations.

This gardening company's Pinterest page some cool stuff that is pretty easy to copy : http://pinterest.com/redlotusgarden/

Why don't you have your kids make mosaic tiles or stepping stones for the yard? You can get a giant bag of mix-n-pour cement for $3.00 or so at the hardware store and rinse-and-reuse plastic bowls or plates for molds. They could use old broken dishes or even unwanted and/or broken toys to make their mosaics.
Also, what about doing fairy-houses and fairy gardens all over the place? My boys loved doing that along the trail we walk on in the woods. They got excited about people finding them while they hiked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blow Dry your Hair
How to do the Britney Spears Hairstyle
How to Create a Beachy Hair Style
How to Do a Hair Replacement for Alopecia - Part 2
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...