A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
372 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beginner  (Read 791 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

simplycindy
« on: August 08, 2012 01:31:21 PM »

I got the crazy idea to learn to knit, I've done it before in the 2nd grade,I know that was awhile ago, (I'm 56) I got some yarn at the thrift store to practice along with knitting needles, size 8. The yarn tends to separate on me and knot up. Am I on the right track? Should I have bought some nice new heavier yarn? Is my needle size right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012 08:14:50 AM »

It may be the  yarn is loosely wound which is why it's splitting. Also, if you knit tight, that may make it worse. The yarn might be too thick or too thin for your needles though. The only way for you to know if there wasn't a label on it, is to go to a craft store like Joann or Hobby lobby and compare it to other yarns. Thrift store yarn is perfectly okay to practice with, the yarn and needles need to be compatible though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012 08:46:07 AM »

I don't normally ball my yarn, but I discovered that if you wind it the "wrong" way, you're basically un-twisting the strands. I bet your thrift store balls were wound the "wrong" way. Hold the strand in your right hand and wind it so the old ball is passing over your fingers from back to front.

Or at least, that's how I balled a bunch of yarn, because the intuitive strand in left hand, front-to-back un-twisted my yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

simplycindy
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012 06:22:23 PM »

Thanks for your help, I think I like crocheting better, the knitting needles are put aside for a bit. I do not see an afghan in my future !  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012 07:09:25 AM »

I don't normally ball my yarn, but I discovered that if you wind it the "wrong" way, you're basically un-twisting the strands. I bet your thrift store balls were wound the "wrong" way. Hold the strand in your right hand and wind it so the old ball is passing over your fingers from back to front.

Or at least, that's how I balled a bunch of yarn, because the intuitive strand in left hand, front-to-back un-twisted my yarns.

It generally makes no difference which way the yarn is wound because the twist is the same one direction as the other. Continually turning the same direction at the end of the rows can untwist it though, as can some methods of wrapping the yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012 12:29:12 AM »

I don't normally ball my yarn, but I discovered that if you wind it the "wrong" way, you're basically un-twisting the strands.

I've had that problem, too, but I've also noticed different yarns twist different directions, so it's important to pay attention every time you wind.  Roll Eyes

The way it's wound might not make a difference when wound with a machine, but by hand, it can definitely make all the difference.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Buy Crochet Supplies
How to Add Crochet Embellishments to Clothing
How to Convert a Crochet Pattern Into a Knitting Pattern
Single Crochet Stitches
How to Crochet a Purse
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...